New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Upgrade advice. I need help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Upgrade advice. I need help!

Hello everyone Im brand new to this community. I recently bought a 1999 Camaro Z28, and I have $2350 leftover. The goal is to make the nicest, fastest, most reliable daliy driver around. Help me make a shopping list? The car is completely stock except for a K&N cold air intake.
I appreciate all the help I can get
Old 01-19-2016, 03:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Exhaust and the usual bolt ons plus a tune would be a good start
Old 01-19-2016, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Exhaust and the usual bolt ons plus a tune would be a good start
What exhaust system/ tune would you recommend?
Old 01-19-2016, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Texas Speed and Speed Engineering make a great bang for the the buck header and exhaust. LS6 intake, ram air mod, UDP, etc...A good custom dyno tune is preferred over a mail order tune but not totally necessary
Old 01-19-2016, 11:01 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the car an auto or manual? Also are you mechanically inclined enough to do the installs yourself or will you be needing a shop to install it? That way we can figure if we need to budget labor costs into your budget as well.

Lonnie
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900

Last edited by Sales3@Texas-Speed; 01-19-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Sales3@Texas-Speed
Is the car an auto or manual?

Lonnie
Its a stock automatic
Old 01-19-2016, 12:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,277 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Demonic_Displacement
Its a stock automatic
Then I would recommend something like a Yank SS3600 or similar from PI/Vig, a trans cooler, LT headers w/ORY and full catback (or cutout on the stock catback, your choice), LS6 intake and a tune (could get away with a mail order tune for the bolt-ons but, depending on your region, there may be several good custom tuners to choose from.) One other thing I would consider is ditching/selling the K&N cold air intake and replacing it with a standard air lid.

With those modifications, it will feel like a completely different car. If you have drag radials or otherwise very sticky tires, you'll likely shave about 1 second off your ET with those mods, maybe more. When you get bored with that, you can look at heads/cam setups to add to this foundation.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:34 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^Agreed. That's exactly what I would recommend as well being an auto.

Lonnie
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 01-19-2016, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a question that has always bothered me. When I had bought my stock 2000 Trans Am about 5 years ago I was in the OP's same position. I wanted a reliable set up with a good little chunk of HP for the money (no nitrous). Not talking about transmission upgrades, I bought all the basic bolt ons and spent around $2000.

FTRA - $200
Lid - $100
P&P TB - $100
Used LS6 Intake - $350
Long Tube Headers - $400
Y-pipe - $150
Cat Back - $300
Tune - $300
Total - $1900

This was buying budget parts. I know depending on what kind of sales/brands you go with it could end up anywhere between $2000-$2500+ (if you do the work yourself). For all of that I ended up gaining about 45-50HP. What I'm wondering is if for bang for the buck I would have been better off leaving all of that stuff stock and using that $2000+ for a basic Head and Cam package and a dyno tune? Would a mild/moderate head and cam package with a good tune with stock intake and exhaust net more than the 45-50HP I gained with bolt ons? I just always wonder if I would have been better off going that route for the money (assuming I never planned to do any other HP mods). And I wouldn't have lost all that ground clearance with the 3" y-pipe.)
Old 01-19-2016, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Blue knight...Id say u woulda prolly had a few more than 50 HP with a head/ cam package. But all the mods u already went with is def. Good supporting mods for the head an cam when u do em... By the way.. Good step by step videos you got posted up man.. Watched em last night..
Old 01-22-2016, 06:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Exhaust,intake/tb/lid,tune to start.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you keep your ls1 intake do the free egr mod , basically cut this thing hanging down right behind throttle body. go to install university ls1 egr mod for how to. a very old article i like is may 2004 super chevy ls1 do's & donts. cheers!
Old 01-22-2016, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

EGR removal adds no horsepower only cleans the intake manifold
Old 01-22-2016, 09:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 206 Likes on 125 Posts

Stall converter-800
nice cooler-150
Catback - I would look for used in the for sale section 3-4-500 bucks. Just depends what you want
Ram air kit-200
Lid-100
tune- 3-400

Save the rest for general repairs
Old 01-22-2016, 09:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles on it?

If the trans is in good shape I would start there with a converter and trans cooler, best bang for the buck. I'd go with something around a 4k stall. A set of 1 7/8 long tube headers with y-pipe from speed engineering, followed by the catback of your choice. Slp lid, ssra, or chris1313 ram air, and free mods. Some of these items can be found in the for sale section to save you some $$. Then find a tuner in your area to give it a tune.

You can drive I like that but im sure you will then want tires and suspension goodies to help plant the power, and so on. At that point the ball will keep on rolling...

This will give you a nice basic power upgrade.

[edit] Looks like we are all repeating ourselves here, so this gives you a good idea of the path to follow. [/edit]
Old 01-22-2016, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://installuniversity.com/ls1/ins...r/ls1-egr.html see pic #6 i think only 98's & 99's have this issue mappin.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

I too am thinking about modding my engine a little bit. Basically small things here and there. So far I have an SLP airlid with K&N filter and GMMG catback exhaust. I have not done a tune yet but found a local guy to get that done for me. Before I do that, I am thinking about doing some other mods to the intake.

Here is the "but", I am currently in a no inspection state but that may change after I retire from the USAF. I have no idea where I will find my next career. So I have to proceed with the assumption that I will go to a state with a vehicle inspection which rules out headers (I want to do long tubes while retaining the cats).

Also, I won't be doing heads and cam any time soon as I am pouring funds into my suspension. My priority will then go to the brakes and chassis, then the rear end, then the transmission. And then, if I don't die of old age I will get more serious with the motor.

This is the best of my plans so far. For now, are there any mods I am overlooking that I can do before I go for a tune? Thanks.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:37 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,277 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Darth Cypher
So I have to proceed with the assumption that I will go to a state with a vehicle inspection which rules out headers (I want to do long tubes while retaining the cats).
The only type of inspection that would rule out LT headers would be a visual one. Many states are OBD scan only testing - no visual no sniff - in these states you can pass with LT headers (cats or not, doesn't matter) without issue if you have the proper tuning.

In some states you can register as an antique (usually at 20-25 years, not sure when you plan on moving) or "collector" vehicle to avoid emissions. There are also some states that allow race car/show car exemptions, for which you may or may not qualify. And lastly, some test states only test in certain counties or ZIP codes, so you may be able to move to an address just outside of the test area.

Just some things to consider before ruling out certain modifications.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
The only type of inspection that would rule out LT headers would be a visual one. Many states are OBD scan only testing - no visual no sniff - in these states you can pass with LT headers (cats or not, doesn't matter) without issue if you have the proper tuning.

In some states you can register as an antique (usually at 20-25 years, not sure when you plan on moving) or "collector" vehicle to avoid emissions. There are also some states that allow race car/show car exemptions, for which you may or may not qualify. And lastly, some test states only test in certain counties or ZIP codes, so you may be able to move to an address just outside of the test area.

Just some things to consider before ruling out certain modifications.
Trust me. I will definitely try to get into an area where I don't need to do an inspection at all. If I do, I plan on headers and getting rid of the EGR/AIR or other EPA crap from the engine bay (I know my year Camaro doesn't have one of the EGR or AIR thingies on it, lol).

Quick Reply: LS1 Upgrade advice. I need help!