Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True water temp readings?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True water temp readings?

Has anybody figured out a way to get the true water temperature readings / fluctuations using the stock gage? It sounds like the GTO is like the f-bodies in that once you reach a 'normal operating temperature' the gage doesn't move. I can bring up actual readings digitally in the driver information center if I start the car in diagnostics mode - but lose any other use of the DIC while the temp is up. So I know that the sending unit is giving actual temps to the computer. You would think there would be a way to get that temp registering on the gage.
Barring that - what about a different sending unit hooked directly to the stock gage? I don't want to lose the cool red gage, but would like to have a better idea of what temp the engine is running at. The gage has increments, but there are no temps indicated, so I can work out what the graduations would equate to.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Dan

Last edited by DANSLS1GTO; 06-14-2004 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DANSLS1GTO
Has anybody figured out a way to get the true water temperature readings / fluctuations using the stock gage?
Dan
I wish
Old 06-14-2004, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no clue if its possible with the stock gauge. i just got a cyberdyne digital gauge, and hooked it up to the passenger side of the motor. the readings have been much more accurate.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd imagine if you were to remove the stock gauge from giving the PCM's fake readings, that some sort of code would be set, possibly and SES or Check Gauges light. Also, I am not sure if a new temp sender, would work with the stock gauge. As of now, probably the only solution is a new water temp gauge. The total package can run from $70-$85, including gauge, mounting, etc... A good investment if you ask me.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need the stock sender to remain in place for the proper operation of the computer. Timing, fans, ect, are all controlled by the readings of the ECT

Ryan