Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam help...CA smog requirements - YIKES

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 12:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Cam help...CA smog requirements - YIKES

I have seen several LS1 Tech threads posted by J-Rod on Cams and in one particular stated:

"I can make just about any cam for any application.
---
No smog worries right....

Go with the 218/218 109LSA. Performance is nearly the same as the TR224/224 112LSA, but with better valve-events so low-midrange power will be substantially higher. Upper rpm power will be nearly identical."

I have a 2004 C5 w/automatic and 3.15 rear end. It already has GMS Ram Air cold air induction and Z06 TI exhaust out the back. I am a daily driver and I don't pretend to be speed racer on city streets. I like lopey cams but because I live in CA, it presents a challenge with Mr. SMOG sniffer. Over the past 20 years, I have had everything from nasty, torquey Chevy and Ford big blocks to simple stone stock Chevy 350's. I love putting the pedal to the metal and winding out the gears but that was then and this is now.

Can someone help? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?

Thanks, Ed

Last edited by Vettlldo; 07-28-2004 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Most people from California will recommend a 224 with a 114 LSA as the max cam to pass emmisions. Use a 220/114 to be safe. I don't think you'll get a lopey cam with a 112 or under LSA will get you by unless you get a great tune.

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 07-28-2004, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 109 LSA will not pass. 114 LSA is the higest that will pass. Some have gotten away with 112 LSA, but not without one hell of a tune job. I have the TR 224/224 114, and am confident it will pass.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:01 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

its all about VE events, i've yet to see documented proof (i.e an emissions slip) of the cams 93pony was talking about. i have seen smog sheets from the tr224 114 passing clean w/ tune. are you wanting just lope or do you want power? you can make any cam lope with the tune. if its power your after consider a carb legal FI setup or if you want to keep it n/a then get some nice heads and a small cam. both will make great power and be 100% smog legal; provided you keep your stock cats, emissions equipment, ect.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jrp
are you wanting just lope or do you want power? you can make any cam lope with the tune.
I'll tell you what I want what I really really want...
1. Dependablilty
2. HP/Torque
3. Seat-of-the-pants fun
4. Lope (it's fun to hear not a priority)

I have not spent a penny on engine modifications because I cannot seem to filter out fact vs fiction from all the posts I have read about non-Z06 Corvette engine/components and attributes or lack thereof. So, let's wander through some of the posts that you folks have posted.

These are NOT my assertions but rather quotes from you folks that play in here and Corvette Forum every day.

Fact or Fiction: From late 2001-2004, GM has used the LS6 block in all non Z06 Corvettes. LS1 heads and the cam are the only differences. Everything else internally is LS6 (Pistons, rods, crank, bearings, timing chain...yuk yuk yuk) is LS6.

Fact or Fiction: LS1 exhaust does not flow well. (My Comment: I replaced just the cat backs with Z06 and have no issues with my exhaust system.)

Fact or Fiction: Long tube headers are illegal in CA.

Fact or Fiction: Long tube headers can cause an untuned engine to run rich.

Fact or Fiction: Long tube header SYSTEMS have significant gains in HP and Torque. (My Comment: I have seen several dyno graphs that DOES prove this assertion. Now, this is qualification!)

Fact or Fiction: GM Hot Cam (219°/228° .525"/.525" LSA 112°) will not pass the smog sniffer in CA because of the 112 LSA.

Fact or Fiction: A 4L60-E transmission will not support an LS6/LS1 engine with Torque reaching or exceeding 400ftlbs.

Fact or Fiction: The 4L65-E transmission is a beefed up 4L60-E that has been used successfully in Cadillac Escalade's since 2002 and DOES support torque @ 400ftlbs. These transmissions will bolt right into a standard Corvette chassis without any modifications and can use the factory LS1 transmission controller. In fact, the 4L65-E comes with it's own Torque Converter.

Fact or Fiction: Changing the Torque Converter on a 4L60-E is the first thing one should always do before anything else. (My Opinion: This is flawed logic. I wouldn't waste my time with a Torque Converter if the basic transmission is flawed.)

Once we get through the Facts/Fiction, let's talk about how to correct the problem and come up with a decent package that is still CA legal.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) fiction, only a smalll percentage of LS1s got LS6 block (in `01 and `02 anyway, `03+ may be different)
2) when compare to what? other stock systems, yes. better than shorties, seems to. A long tube system, no.
3) fact, long tubes move the cats and that is illegal
4) there's a lot of cases where that's true, and some where its not. All cars are different.
5) fact
6) not sure but its supposed to lope pretty good, which will not help at idle
7) been done, if you keep it cool and don't abuse it it will hold up
8) true, the upgrades from the 65 can be done to the 60 fyi. I don't know about the converter.
9) true, see number 7 & 8.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vettlldo
1. Dependablilty
2. HP/Torque
3. Seat-of-the-pants fun
4. Lope (it's fun to hear not a priority)
Your goals may contradict one another.

1: If it aint broke dont fix it. Its already dependable out of the box. Changing the camshaft alone will reduce reliability.

2: 224 114LSA Max (I went with 220 114LSA for a little extra cushion here in CA). Cold idle without catalytic convertors or PCM tune lopes in my f-body.

3: You mean "more" fun I hope. Anything you do will get you there.

4: Tuff to do through your exhaust system with even a 224. I suggest pulling plug wires #2 and #6 when your need for audible fullfilment arises
Old 07-28-2004, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Dependablilty: Can be had easily with CA smog cam...
2. HP/Torque: Can get a good amount, not in the 400's though on cam only
3. Seat-of-the-pants fun: Can get with any cam
4. Lope (it's fun to hear not a priority): Wont get much, but will be noticible

Quick Reply: Cam help...CA smog requirements - YIKES