Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went to the track tonight...strange noise..and ongoing problem

Hey guys,

I went to the local 1/8th tonight and pulled the following:

2.2 60' time
8.7 E/T at 88 MPH

2.2 60' time
8.5 E/T at 88 MPH.

While I know much modified car should be faster than that, I'm not exactly launching it because I know I'll break the rear, even on stock tires. Anyway, the point of this post is the following. A few days ago, I had what sounded like a belt squeal. I talked to some folks and they said it was the tensioner pulley or something of the sort. For a day or two, it stopped, so I figured it was just because the motor was being pissy or something. Anyway, after I got off the track tonight, it started squealing LOUD. I mean, really loud. Irritating the people around me, that kinda loud. I'd like to know what it is, part numbers/replacement ideas, etc. so that I can fix it. It's quiet chirping at idle, but loud squealing any time above that. Thanks for any and all help.

The second problem I've been having is that for a little while now, my temp gauge has been inoperable. I don't know what caused this, but now, when I turn the ignition on (without turning the car on...) the temp gauge will start to rise slowly, but within like 5 seconds, it'll drop back down to nothing. It does nothing when I turn the car on, just stays all the way down to the left. I don't know, consequently, how hot/cold the car is, and I have no way of telling. All of the rest of my gauges work, however. What could be causing this???

If it helps, these are my mods.

McLeod Single disc clutch, Kevlar/Organic - steel flywheel
Lightly ported heads, 918s, ti retainers..
TR224 cam
SLP lid
Eibach sportlines

A bunch of little odds and ends, etc. I had the car dyno tuned, but the service engine light has been on since. I tried letting it reflash itself once, but it didn't work, light came back on. So, could you guys help me out here? I need info.

Mike
Old 08-07-2004, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

I did a little research on here and it seems that the problem with the squeaking and chirping was described in another thread absolutely identical to the one in my car. In his car, it was the water pump that needed to be replaced. I sincerely hope that's not the case. Anyway, i've also heard and read a lot about the miscellaneous pulleys and belts, namely the tensioner and idler pulleys, that I should be able to listen to and identify. Any suggestions on how to go about doing this? I believe I will try and spray the pulleys first to see what happens.

Mike

PS: No information on the dead gauge, as of yet...
Old 08-07-2004, 11:15 PM
wrencher

Your gonna have to go in there & see what's making all the noise. It could be a few things. I would use a chunk of 3/8 hose to use as a stethoscope & see if you can pinpoint it that way. Be carfull not to get the hose caught in the belts while running.
The temp gauge will be more involved but have seen clusters need to be replaced B-4
(cannot get individual gauges)
Old 08-08-2004, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Alright here's the deal. I need some help with this, diagrams would be useful. I found out which one it is. It's the pulley that's located to the left side of the main crank pulley. It's sort of a bove and to the left of it. I don't know what it's connected to, but I need to know the name of it so I can replace it. You can move it front/back, so I know it's loose. When I spray it with wd40, it shuts up for a second, then comes back. Anyone know which one this is? Thanks a bunch guys.

Mike
Old 08-08-2004, 11:06 PM
wrencher

Well left of crank as you look at the front of the motor? Is it for the A/C belt?
It is either a idler or a tensioner. Idlers bolt on, tensioners can move. You can get it from there......
Old 08-09-2004, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help, once again, Wrencher. I'm going to go by the dealer today I think and see if they've got that piece and the temp sensor because I imagine that's what's wrong with the temp gauge.

Mike