Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99ta possibly buying ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99ta possibly buying ?

I'm lookin at buying a 99 TA 6spd for 12k it has 39k miles...Is this a fair deal? What things should I look for before I buy the car? Also when I would push the clutch in half way, right before it engages and hold it there I could feel the pedal vibrate....is this normal?
Old 09-09-2004, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mattkimsey
I'm lookin at buying a 99 TA 6spd for 12k it has 39k miles...Is this a fair deal? What things should I look for before I buy the car? Also when I would push the clutch in half way, right before it engages and hold it there I could feel the pedal vibrate....is this normal?
Is it a WS6? What options are on it? I don't know why the clutch pedal is doing that, it may just mean it hasn't been used for a while.

Listen for piston slap, see how much oil is in the car, check all the power windows, check the interior to see if there are any dead lights, specifically on the climate controls and the head-unit.

Check the A/C.

Check the quarter panels to see if there were ripples.

Check to see if it has an aftermarket lid. Ask if the car was ever raced.

If I think of more, I will post.

-Todd
Old 09-10-2004, 05:52 AM
TECH Junkie

i noticed my cluch pedal vibrates just a lil when i have it pushed in about and inch or so. check for rips in the seats if theyre leather. check the headlights and make sure they dont grind. of course drive it and feel it out. make sure the dash isnt cracked from the sun (happened on my 96). check the body for dimples as mentioned before, above the rear tires. and do the usual stuff, check the paint, tires, fluids. and look for after market stuff(ie the lid as mentioned earlier). when driving it, turn off the ac and the radio and tell the guy with you to stop whining about you going fast, and listen to the rear to make sure its not making any weird noises. my friend bought a 98, and he made the dealer replace the rear before he paid for it cause it was fucked up.....

just make sure you thoroughly check it over, and if possible, get it somewhere and have a mech. look at it. before i buy my 2 f body's i took them to base and had them on a lift and had mech's look at them. just my .02
Old 09-10-2004, 06:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the info guys! I'll be sure to check all those parts of the car out. Its a regular TA with all options and it has the stock lid with a crapmaster muffler(those 2 things kinda give me the idea the previous owner wasnt much of a racer), but I'll try to see if I can ask the original owner. I like the idea of taking it to a mechanic also just to be safe.

Couple more Q's What do you mean by ripples...is that something in the paint on the quarter panels? and the noise from the rear, what kind of sound should I listen for and at what time should I hear it most....from a stop taking off fast? or going fast on the highway?

edit: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...or=&cardist=25

Last edited by mattkimsey; 09-10-2004 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mattkimsey
Thanks for the info guys! I'll be sure to check all those parts of the car out. Its a regular TA with all options and it has the stock lid with a crapmaster muffler(those 2 things kinda give me the idea the previous owner wasnt much of a racer), but I'll try to see if I can ask the original owner. I like the idea of taking it to a mechanic also just to be safe.

Couple more Q's What do you mean by ripples...is that something in the paint on the quarter panels? and the noise from the rear, what kind of sound should I listen for and at what time should I hear it most....from a stop taking off fast? or going fast on the highway?

edit: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...or=&cardist=25
the dimples or ripples will be on the rear quarter panels. it will almost look like someone tapped them with a tiny hammer or something. my 96 had them. it wasnt hurting anything, except appearance.