Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep blowing Guage fuse??

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep blowing Guage fuse??

Like title says. The other day I used a mini air compressor that hooks up to the cigarette lighter, for about 3 minutes. I dont know if it has anything to do with it. The next day when I went to start my car, nothing. Doesnt crank, but headlights work, radio, but no guages. After checking battery, cables, relays, I found the 10A guage fuse blown. I replaced it, and the car started right up. It will work for about a day or two, then blow the fuse again. BTW its a 98 Trans Am. I even disconnected the plug to the lighter, thinking its shorting out, but thats not the problem. Does anyone have a schematic of the wiring?
Old 03-06-2005, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Same thing happened to me when I wired my electric cutout to the cigarette lighter lead. I changed it to another hot lead and fixed the problem.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:28 PM
Teching In

The circuit is not able to handle the amperage draw of the pump. When you add up the wiring involved etc and the fact the pumps amperage demands likely surge it can't handle the load. Don't put a larger fuse in what ever you do. I would make other arrangements when using the cigarette lighter plug.