Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil filter change question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 05:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil filter change question...

Is it possible to change the oil filter without changing the oil. I've heard members on this board change their oil and oil filters at different intervals.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:08 PM
12 Second Club

ttt.ttt
Old 04-30-2005, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My $.02. Don't put your topic TTT after 40 mins when it's still well on the first page. And just change the oil/filter at the same time.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:13 PM
12 Second Club

sorry, i was kinda rushing...
Old 05-01-2005, 10:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by spy2520
Is it possible to change the oil filter without changing the oil. I've heard members on this board change their oil and oil filters at different intervals.
Yes, just be sure to top off the oil level after your done if it needs it.
I'm running the German castrol 0W/30. Generally I run it for six thousand miles with an oil filter change midway at 3000 miles. My oil analysis are greatly improved now that I changed oil from the Mobil 1 to the GC.

The last batch of Mobil 1 I changed at 1620 miles (I changed it early because the last analysis on the Mobil had just come in with extremly dissapointing results-as had the previous analaysis of Mobil 1), the analysis on that 1620 mile batch was only slightly better than the following analysis with the GC at 6,000 miles (over three times the distance). It wasn't funny when the analysis on the Mobil 1 @ 1620 miles suggested it was the perfect change interval for the performance of this oil in comparison to the last two reports.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:29 PM
12 Second Club

thanks
Old 05-01-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Weezzer, I was wondering if you'd share your oil analysis numbers with us. If such a well known brand of oil like Mobil1 is crapping out at 1600 miles, surely that can be quantified. Likewise, what are the numbers for GC. I hear a lot about it but have never seen hard numbers.

Not trying to be a butthead, just wondering. I've used Mobil1 for all my vehicles dating back to 1985, the wife has used Amsoil since 1991. Had great luck with both of them.

Just wondering what the numbers are since I haven't seen any.

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible
Weezzer, I was wondering if you'd share your oil analysis numbers with us. Thanks.
Mobil 1 @1568 miles; GC @ 5965 miles

Aluminum: 3 ; 2
Chromium: 1 ; 0
Iron: 12 ; 16
Copper: 60 ; 73
Lead : 7 ; 11
Tin: 0 ; 0
Molybdenum: 68 ; 5
Nickel: 0 ; 1
Manganese: 0 ; 0
Silver: 0 ; 1
Titanium: 0 ; 0
Potassium : 0 ; 0
Boron: 151 ; 4
Silicon : 5 ; 8
Sodium: 5 ; 3
Calcium : 2061 ; 3017
Magnesium: 18 ; 105
Phosphorus: 723 ; 699
Zinc: 807 ; 859
Barium: 0 ; 0

These figures are parts per million (PPM)
Old 05-01-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you very much Weezzer.

I checked your oil analysis data against the long-term oil analysis study here (Long Term Oil Analysis Study-LTOAS) to get an apples-to-apples look at where each of the oils stands. Understand, though, that these are different engines and different batches of oil. The LTOAS used Mobil1 in a 2002 Z28. The oil filter in the study was changed when the solids reached a predetermined level and the only new oil was top-off and make-up. The LTOAS oil numbers are from 18,000 mile oil.

The elements highlighted in bold are good things where a bigger number is better. The rest are the opposite. The LTOAS had an issue with copper, and there was much discussion about the copper levels in that motor. I didn't see that issue with your numbers.

(Weezzers Mobil 1 @1568 miles; GC @ 5965 miles; LTOAS Mobil1 @ 18,000 miles)

Aluminum: 3 - 2 - 5

Chromium: 1 - 0 - 2

Iron: 12 - 16 - 45

Copper: 60 - 73 - 102

Lead : 7 - 11 - 31

Tin: 0 - 0 -1

Molybdenum: 68 - 5 - 72

Nickel: 0 - 1 - 1

Manganese: 0 - 0 -2

Silver: 0 - 1 -0

Titanium: 0 - 0 -0

Potassium : 0 - 0 - 1

Boron: 151 - 4 - 101

Silicon : 5 - 8 - 12

Sodium: 5 - 3 - 9

Calcium : 2061 - 3017 - 3239

Magnesium: 18 - 105 - 39

Phosphorus: 723 - 699 - 733

Zinc: 807 - 859 - 882

Barium: 0 - 0 - 0

With only one oil sample of GC at one mile point, a long term trend can’t be posited. This is just one comparison of numbers.

But, we can conclude from the above numbers that GC is good oil. We can also conclude that Mobil1 is good oil, and that long term oil use isn’t necessarily suicidal.

Taking into account the different engines, different oil weights, oil sampling techniques, oil labs, and other variables, I can't see that there are absolutely HUGE differences between the oils. Many of the numbers in your Mobil1 likely would have (or already had) leveled off. The 18k Mobil1 was even better than GC with four of the six good additives, and both oils at 6k miles were even closer.

A longer term study of GC would be useful, but there may not be as much difference in GC as some folks think. Or, in Mobil1 for that matter.

Last edited by Mr Incredible; 05-01-2005 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:17 AM
TECH Resident

I checked your oil analysis data against the long-term oil analysis study here (Long Term Oil Analysis Study-LTOAS) to get an apples-to-apples look at where each of the oils stands. Understand, though, that these are different engines and different batches of oil.... .
As you point out, these are different engines, different batches of oil and different environments (the neptune study was done by Patman in Canada, my environment at the time was Semi-desert in Corpus Christi.
So this isn't apples to apples comparison, the only way to know is check/ analyse your own oil.

The elements highlighted in bold are good things where a bigger number is better. The rest are the opposite. The LTOAS had an issue with copper, and there was much discussion about the copper levels in that motor. I didn't see that issue with your numbers.
If you had seen the previous reports with Mobil 1 with the copper levels at 110 and 106 (@ 6000 Miles) then you would realize the copper levels were a problem, you must remember I only went 1568 miles on the last batch Mobil 1, thats what the posted figures were from.

Some of the elements can be good or bad, depending upon their form, they are as follows:

Aluminum : Pistons, bearings, cases (heads & blocks).
Chromium: Rings, a trace element in steel.
Iron: Cylinders, rotating shafts, the valve train, and any steel part sharing the oil.
Copper: Brass or bronze parts, copper bushings, bearings, oil coolers, also an additive in some gasoline engine oils.
Lead : Bearings.
Tin: Bearings, bronze parts, piston coatings.
Molybdenum: Anti-wear additive, some types of rings.
Nickel: Trace element in steel.
Manganese: Trace element, additive in gasoline.
Silver: Trace element.
Titanium: Trace element.
Potassium : Antifreeze inhibitor, additive in some oil types.
Boron: Detergent/dispersant additive, antifreeze inhibitors.
Silicon : Airborne dirt, sealers, gaskets, antifreeze inhibitors.
Sodium: Antifreeze inhibitors, additive in some gasoline engine oils.
Calcium : Detergent/dispersant additive.
Magnesium: Detergent/dispersant additive.
Phosphorus: Anti-wear additive.
Zinc: Anti-wear additive.
Barium : Detergent/dispersant additive.

Not all of your observations are cut and dried/ it depends also on the additive package in the particular oil you are using as to weather it is a "good" level or not.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

While I admit for the sake of argument that this may not be a 100% apples-to-apples comparison given the number of variables, it is most certainly a round object-to-round object comparison.

Even with the number of variables between the tests, the numbers are extremely competetive. Most vary by what I would consider an insignificant amount. You bailed out on the 1.6k Mobil1 when it was showing larger numbers of bad things than GC in only three areas - Aluminum, Chromium, and Sodium. Your free choice, but a bit premature for most folks.

I certainly understand that everybody has their own way of looking at things, make their own conclusions, and take their own actions. Three wives, two kids, and 20 years in the military have taught me that! But, when looking at these numbers I don't see a hair-on-fire reason to vote Mobil1 off the island.

Thank you very much your giving your numbers to the forum. I appreciate it. It has been very useful to me, and I suspect to others as well.

Certainly, if Mobil1 comes that close to what some consider the Mother Of All Oils, I don't feel so bad forgoing The Quest for GC and bopping down to Wal-Mart to grab enough for all my motors.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

I didn't do the Neptune study, it is being done by Brian Schreurs, AKA as 3MADPONCHOS on many of the LS1 message boards (those who were on LS1.com back when it used to be cool will remember him in 98 and 99)