Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

free mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 07:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default free mods

hi i'm kinda new and was searching for a while and was wondering what the free mods consisted of and how to do them. thank you.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:59 PM
11 Second Club

under the lid there is a pice of plastic, if you cut that away air can come up fron in front of the raditor. fra front ram air
throttle body by pass, so teh hot collant dosent go threw your throttle body
the egr tube that sticks in the intake manifold. you cut some off so it dosent get in the way of the incoming air

installuniversty.com is a great site and you can find a step by step guid to these things on their
Old 01-31-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

read the FAQ's stickies at the top of this section.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by camaroextra
read the FAQ's stickies at the top of this section.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:19 PM
Teching In

sorry guys but i tried the search and put in free mods with no real answer and the stickies above were not very specific about including info on free mods. sorry again for wasting space on this awesome site.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

click on link, here you will find free mods and how to perform them....
Old 02-02-2006, 04:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Most free mods are pretty pointless, but that's because they are FREE.

FRA (Free Ram Air) may be of some use and is easy to perform. As is the throttle bump stop mod. These are both worth doing. As is porting your own throttle body (arguably the best free mod).

!EGR, !AIR, !MAF screen, ported MAF, TB coolant by-pass and so on are all pretty pointless for the most part.

EGR & AIR do not affect HP at all. And without them you won't LEGALLY pass emissions. The MAF screen is up for debate, but it certainly won't free up any substantial power and is a known area many people have problems with.

Basically if you mess with the MAF, worst case - expect major issues and the need to buy a new one. Best case - little or no gain. So the question to ask yourself is - "is it worth the hassle?"

The coolant that goes thru the TB does not affect PEAK power and WOT (wide open throttle) driving. Some claim this coolant exists to prevent the TB blade freezing - I say BOLLOX does it, as there's no logical or physical reason I can see for it freezing that could be prevented by hot coolant.

The reason I can see it existing is that during light throttle the intake air moves slow enough to be heated slightly. This is good for mpg, as hot air will promote this. At WOT the air will move much faster thru the TB and there should be very little (if any) heating affect. So by doing the coolant by-pass you are gaining ZERO at WOT and loosing mpg potential at cruise. The only time to perform this mod is if you get an aftermarket TB which doesn't cater for it.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:33 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Most free mods are pretty pointless, but that's because they are FREE.
the fra,tbb,and erg. dyno'd 15hp/15tq gains. i wouldn't put that in writing just because your not going to get the same dyno everytime. but thats to big of a difference to just be the dyno. most of it comes from removing the erg. have you seen how large the erg is. you wouldn't think that it would make more of a difference than shaving of a lip on a throttle body. if it was pointless people wouldn't do it.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most free mods are pretty pointless
Agreed. But you should get rid of your air and egr when you get a new exhaust system. Don't remove your maf screen. Do some background checks on any of these things before you decide to do them. Most are rather worthless and can cause problems. Like removing the maf screen so that anything that gets passed the air filter can tear up your engine.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wmcrn
the fra,tbb,and erg. dyno'd 15hp/15tq gains. i wouldn't put that in writing just because your not going to get the same dyno everytime. but thats to big of a difference to just be the dyno. most of it comes from removing the erg. have you seen how large the erg is. you wouldn't think that it would make more of a difference than shaving of a lip on a throttle body. if it was pointless people wouldn't do it.
Sorry but I've just got to do it - no really

No seriously EGR does NOT affect HP. Why - because all it does is introduce an inernt gas into the combustion chamber to reduce PEAK temps during combustion thus reducing NOX emissions.

The size of the system has nothing what so ever to do with HP.

As for gaining on the dyno? Was this a back to back run on the same dyno under identical circumstances (temp, humidity). If not then the there's no way of knowing.

Even going from one dyno type (Mustang to Dynojet) can affect rwhp numbers by over 20rwhp and this doesn't even take into account standards, correction factors, error correcting and graph smoothing.

I just love your last comment:
Originally Posted by wmcrn
if it was pointless people wouldn't do it.

Sadly most people are just like sheep and beleive almost anything. Hence there are so many badly modified cars out there.

Need an example - well try the majority of ricers. They beleive an air filter, a wing and slammed suspension will make them faster than a Ferrari but does it?
Old 02-02-2006, 08:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Need an example - well try the majority of ricers. They beleive an air filter, a wing and slammed suspension will make them faster than a Ferrari but does it?
Good Point
Old 02-02-2006, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blue01ta
Agreed. But you should get rid of your air and egr when you get a new exhaust system.
No sorry I disagree

And the reason is, AIR & EGR do not affect the exhaust. OK fair enough if you want to get non-emission race headers and a ORY then they are redundant.

But your car will also be illegal for road use. Sure some people can blag it in some States and still pass emissions. But not everyone can. And whether you pass or not, your car will still be illegal and one day will most likely be caught.

BTW - Incase any don't know, with most of the headers out there if they list it as "Race type" all it means is it doesn't have provisions for AIR & EGR. The performance of them will be identical to the full emissions headers.

My advice on removing any thing from your car is. Go away and learn what it's supposed to do before you take it off.

In fact this should be applied to ANY and ALL mods. I personally find it so funny reading some people's sigs with their list of mods done. When all but one or two are completly pointless and a total waste of money. And funnily enough it's nearly always these same people who complain about their car not getting the times they would like, or they got beat by a car with less mods than them.

RESEARCH - LEARN - PURCHASE
Old 02-02-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

id say do the TB bypass i would think colder air goin in will make more power hence the reasoning behind the FTRA and free ram air they lower air temp goin in. i dont think its a matter of no power WOT because if the throttle heats up while driving then the air goin threw will get hotter if its not all heated up the air will stay colder. i did it basically its not gonna hurt anything if u do it so if u can even gain 2hp why not its "free"

beside that the free ram air is good i havent done it because you will go threw air filters like crazy cause of all the dirt that will come up threw it, and yes if u have a k&n u can clean it up u really shouldnt be runnin a k&n they oil up the maf and they u will wind up not runnin right and having to take it apart and clean it. not worth it when the filter does nuttin anyway.

if u are mechaincally inclined do the porting of your throttle body there a write of of directions how to do it or i think one of the sponsers does it i forget who for like 75 bucks,
and the throttle body bump stop mod also so your throttle opens 100% but make sure u have someone with autotap or some type of scann to monitor your TPS voltage i belive 4.6 is what u want...

Last edited by rgaynor85; 02-02-2006 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rgaynor85
id say do the TB bypass i would think colder air goin in will make more power hence the reasoning behind the FTRA and free ram air they lower air temp goin in. i dont think its a matter of no power WOT because if the throttle heats up while driving then the air goin threw will get hotter if its not all heated up the air will stay colder. i did it basically its not gonna hurt anything if u do it so if u can even gain 2hp why not its "free", beside that the free ram air is good i havent done it because you will go threw air filters like crazy cause of all the dirt that will come up threw it, and yes if u have a k&n u can clean it up u really shouldnt be runnin a k&n they oil up the maf and they u will wind up not runnin right and having to take it apart and clean it. not worth it when the filter does nuttin anyway. if u are mechaincally inclined do the porting of your throttle body there a write of of directions how to do it or i think one of the sponsers does it i forget who for like 75 bucks, and the throttle body bump stop mod also so your throttle opens 100% but make sure u have someone with autotap or some type of scann to monitor your TPS voltage i belive 4.6 is what u want...
Ever heard of a 'Return' key.......

As for the TB, think about it. How deep is it? Well not very deep and at WOT the air intake speed will be very fast. It will not be sitting in the TB heating up it will pass thru it at high velocity and remain in the hot environment for less than a split second.

Think on how a heater works in a car. It has a large matrix of coolant water (which is hot) the air from outside goes thru the heater matrix at fairly low speed to heat the air up. In many cars if you turn the fan speed to high you'll notice the heater air is slightly colder than at one of the middle fan speeds. This is because the air has to move much faster thru the hot environment.

I'm not saying that having coolant going thru the TB won't heat the intake air a little, but I really do doubt it's by any amount that will really make much of a difference at WOT. And as an added bonus the intake manifold on the LS1 is plastic so very little heat is transmitted to it from the TB. If it where a metal intake manifold then it may be a different matter.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:36 AM
TECH Resident

sorry
ill
use
the
return
key lol
anyway i understand what your saying but like u said it gets colder but its still getting heated, for the dollar or two you spend on a clamp and a 8 inch piece of hose id do even its its 1hp its somethin and why not right especially if your a happy *** like me and just ich for things to do to my car especailly haveing the car and not hanving the money for real mods like LT's yet so it gives me somethin to do with it lol
Old 02-02-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Alot of people bash on many of the free mods.

My personal experience with them are that the following are worthwhile in MY book:

Ported tb
tb coolant bypass
tb bumpstop mod
fra (if you have a reusable filter)
egr shave or removal mod (it restricts airflow...this is one of the most controversial mods, but I felt a difference...just take the tb off and look and tell me it won't restrict airflow a few percent or more)

I have not tried the maf screen removal mod so I can't comment on it.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

i did the maf screen,wasnt worth it, dont bother messin with the maf itll only cause bad and if it doesnt it wont do any good suposidly they flow enought for 500hp so.. i was itching to do somthin to my car and i got be a happy *** if i didnt ruin the screen pushing it out i would of put it back in.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ported TB - hell, yeah.
TB coolant bypass - why not, unless you live up North?
TB bumpstop - see ported.
EGR - just remove the "pecker" that hangs down into
the TB opening.
AIR - just call it weight reduction and maybe appearance;
leave it until after you can tune.
FRA - don't do it if you have a SS or Ram Air hood.
IAT tricker - don't do it, get your actual air colder instead.
MAF screen - do it, but to a junkyard set of ends. NO port!
Old 02-02-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

hey jimmy so u think the maf screen delete is a good thing i thought u were anti maf molesting
Old 02-02-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

The coolant that goes thru the TB does not affect PEAK power and WOT (wide open throttle) driving. Some claim this coolant exists to prevent the TB blade freezing - I say BOLLOX does it, as there's no logical or physical reason I can see for it freezing that could be prevented by hot coolant.
I once read on here that some guy froze his blade wide open after doing the TB bypass and spraying a nice sized dry shot... Im not saying thats gonn happen everytime but it CAN happen so I would be careful doing this if your gonna run a dry shot