Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SS purchase help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS purchase help.

Hey all, I am 20 years old and soon to be enlisting in the AF, possibly the Army. I plan on putting about $5,000 down on a car when I get back and an SS Convertible is on my list but first I wanted to get some opinions baised or not. I have driven damn near every car besides a Ferrari or Lambo, including LS1's and LT1's... very nice. I was looking for a convertible SS, I'd like to spend no more than $15,000 dollars for one, I don't care what transmission however the more prefferable one would be the M6. I had a few questions I'd like help with. First of all, between the two transmissions which is stronger and better built, a4 or m6? I plan on going no further than some cosmetic mods and some bolt ons, full exhaust, intake and some other supporting mods to help the longevity of the car. I also would like to find one with under 50,000 is this going to be difficult?

Second of all, we all know the bad rep the american car companies recieve due to poor build quality and cars that are problematic and a hassle at higher mileages, I understand that the car is going to squeek, rattle, creek etc etc... I really don't care but I was looking for an honest opinion of the quality/reliability of the SS Camaro providing it is driven like it should be, maybe some 1/4 mile runs, spirited driving... I mean common it makes 300+whp for a reason... I don't want to buy a car and have it be a money pit for repairs, I also intend on taking care of it though.

3rd and finally, I understand that the LS1 SS was made from 1998-2002, I'd like to find the newest possible... I will be financing and set my budget at $15,000k... would I be able to finance a car that old between those years for 5 years because it seems as if around here in Maine it is not doable... usually only 36 months MAYBE 48 months for a car around this age... if I can't finance for a certain term, idealy 48 months then it put the payment out of a range... What are some problems or bad years if any, things to look out for when buying used and some tips and tricks to buying a used SS? Thanks for the help
Old 03-14-2006, 08:24 PM
Tech Resident

Welcome to the site, I can help with your first 2 questions...

1. The T-56 (m6) is much stronger than the 4L60E (a4), but the T-56 may destroy your rear end quicker if you mod the car and launch it hard at the track.

2. My friend has a '98 Z28 with over 130k on the odo, it runs fine and does not squeek or rattle, but verts should have sub frame conecters put in (less than $200)
Old 03-14-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Welcome to the site
-T56's are stronger but break your rear sooner
-American cars are just as good as imports, all in how well you take care of them
-All of the years are pretty much the same except the 98's have a different PCM and 01+ dont have an EGR valve on them and a few other minor differences
Old 03-14-2006, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

The other cars I considered and still may buy were a used EVO, I am aware of all the pros and cons of them by the way, and a used SRT-4. I'd like to have a Camaro, but may go with the EVO if my wallet allows it, I just fear heavy maintinence. As far as the M6 being stronger yet ruining your rear end faster, could someone elaborate on how fast is faster? I plan on taking it to the track of course, highway pulls and such as well... I would go to the extent of full exhaust, intake and some other minor mod suggestions but no forced induction or internals.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

I bought a 2000 a4 camaro ss two months ago for $14000. It has 45000 miles on it. Its a black hardtop, you dont see many ss vert around here maybe its different else where.
I like the auto, and will like it more once I get a stall.
And maybe its just me but it feels bigger than my 96 T/A I traded in.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

They exaggerated a bit on the rear-end trashing easily..

It may not be the strongest, granted, but it definitely would take work to break it. A full session at the strip with clutch dumps all day would more than do the trick. Sporting around town wouldn't hurt a thing. Unless you romp on it too much and pull it sideways :o

My dad had a 94' Camaro Z28 and it was running perfect up until the day he decided to pressure wash under the hood (NOT a smart idea...). It had 200k miles on it. Great condition. So, yes, it is possible to keep these cars in shape, it just takes a little TLC and some effort.

Make the right decision and go with the american muscle You'd only be wishing you had one if you settle for a NEON (don't kid yourself, its still a neon) or an evo!
Old 03-14-2006, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Well see, I plan on doing no more than bolt ons, lid, headers, cat back... if I went with an auto should I worry about the transmission, because I am SICK of tranny problems, I am comming from a 1999 Ford Explorer... I think I'd want a M6... at what HP are gears recommended, I plan on taking the car to the strip, we all go fairly often during the summer, prob every couple weeks or so... spirited driving yes, pull sideways, eh maybe... I don't plan on making 400whp, I'd just like to do the basics as stated in the (so you wanna be fast) sticky... how much are gears, the Autos have 2:73's and the M6 have 3:42? is it worth going with 3:73's and how much for parts and install on a new rear end, can't be cheap and is it even something to worry about with my mod plan, I just want to figure out what I should plan on doing so the car lasts, doesnt give me **** or break stuff. I'm not an idiot but the SS will be driven like an SS. As far as convertible, I don't think I will turn down a nice SS because it isn't a vert.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

Your price range is easily attainable. I have posted this in so many places, but I post it to let buyers be aware (if you have read this already and am tired of me saying it, eat me). I just purchased my '99 SS hard-top M6 with ~12K miles for $15,000. They are out there, just keep searching!

As for the rear exploding, I honestly think it is hyped up more than it ought to be. No, it is not a very strong rear-end for a car with this much power/capability. But with how everyone makes it to be...you are not allowed to drive over 4K RPMS and shift unless you want to be picking up your rear with a shovel (exaggeration). All rear-ends can "blow up"; this one just happens to be able to do so in an easier fashion than one would like. The six-speed transmission equipped with the LS1's is one hell of a tranny, however. It can take a lot of abuse and not even blink.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:13 PM
Tech Resident

400whp shouldnt be enough to blow the rear (un less your running some very sticky tires) I would go with the M6 if you want a fun car that you drive mainly on the street, go with a stalled auto if your going to be putting in alot of time at the track.

BTW not all autos had 2.73's... look for code GU5 on the door sticker, that means the car has the performance axle package (3.23's)
Old 03-14-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bought a red 00 SS 6spd with 27k miles on it that runs 12.3 at the track. I have seen many great cars on here for about 15k with low miles on them for about 15k, which is about what I got mine for.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:15 AM
On The Tree

I like the car, I really do... is it wrong to want specifically an SS? There are many reasons why but it's the car I want. What kind of market tends to sell these private sale? The older adult crowd that takes care of the car, garages it, puts up for winter etc etc... older guys like vette guys... or do alot of younger less appreciative punks have SS's... I'd like to know what type of person I'd probobly be buying from. Also how do these cars handle? Are they a big boat feel straight line performance only?
Old 03-16-2006, 09:46 PM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my car in Memphis, and drove it back to Maine. Paid $16k for it with 40k miles. The previous owner kept it inside and didn't drive it in crappy weather. Its not a show car, but is in pretty damn nice shape and has alot of mods.

Can't really say what type of crowd you'd want to buy a car from. Just because you buy it from an older guy, doesn't mean that he didn't beat the snot out of it. I'd say look at each car and get a test drive/ride in it to make sure its in decent shape.

I'll have my car out probably near the beginning of May. If you don't have one by then, maybe I could give you a ride in it once I get the new clutch in. I think you'll like the way they handle, hardly any body roll. Maybe a little darty on the highway because of the wide tires. Other than that i'm completely happy with my car. Just be sure to find a place to store it inside for the winter.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

i sced my 00ss and it had 440 hp....i went to the track and made over 30 passes last season no problems with the rear....i also have an m6....like they said sticky tires will eventually break the rear....i dont have the stock 10 bolt now....(its in my storage unit) but i still have well....i changed my tranny to a tremec but it went from 335 hp to 440hp to 595 and its not broken yet i like f-bodys, the srt4 is a quick little bitch too but why buy a car runnin over 10lbs of boost with less hp than a stock f-body....my buddy wanted a T/A for the longest time and said he changed his mind and was gonna buy a cobalt ss sc 205 hp 200 tq with 12lbs of boost!!!! i run 12#'s and have 2.5x more well...the choice is yours and when you find the car you want youll know....as for the military DONT DO IT!!!! ive been in the military almost 5 years and at the present command life is suckin....the air force might not be as bad but army isnt better....i know guys in all branches (cept air force) and so far they all dont like it....its not what you think its like as i found out and if people think im sayin this cause im a bum in the navy im not....i made E-5 in 3.25 years which is decent money but for 12 hour days 6-7 days a week...i have no life soo to you i say good luck and hope you make the right decision
Old 03-16-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The M6 is way better and very easy to fix if somthing goes wrong.

if you look you can find what you want for 15k dont get a 98. try to find a 2001-2002. I find that Autos and convertibles are a little cheaper. you should go with T tops. Convertibles are a little sissy looking with the top up. T tops are awesome.

as far as miles that dont matter much 40k and 70k are almost the same thing. Very good cars. and the rear ends will blow up if you drive it hard with mods. or change the gears to 4.10s. at around 400rwhp the rear will blow easy wth sticky tires.

the best bet in IMO is a 2001 ss with t tops and a M6 with 40-65k miles
you wont be unhappy. unless you get deployed and cant drive it.

the stock car handles great( for a stock car the F body is a great all around car)

heres some tips on buying.

Piston knock. listen for it.
look under the car for oil stains. and on the frame.
a unclean engain bay is easy to see leaks.
see if the transmission is slipping.
if the car is bone stock thats the best that means they wernt in it for speed and didnt drive the **** out of it.
the ses light goes on for any reason most common is code p0420 bad o2 sensor no big deal.
anyone ownes a camaro i got mine from a 20 year old. most older people dont like to sell them.
make sure its a clear title.
if they did any mods find out what and why they did them and how long ago and waht exactly was dont.
dont buy a car that has/had NOS hook ups. no matter how low the miles.
little mods like MAF TB exaust and lid will save you some money in the long run. and are small mods that dont add a ton of power.

the m6 ttop is hard to find i live in california and bought mine in kansas city.
look at ebay. HSBC credit does ebay loans. and you cant get riped off.

Last edited by BigBenz; 03-16-2006 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea as previousley stated go with ttops...i found my 00ss in jersey for 14.5k with 60k miles on it but had some minor damage due to a bump and run...car ran beautifuly though......theyr hard to find but there are some nice 1s still left
Old 03-17-2006, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

SS1, if you don't mind me asking what age bracket are you in, I know a guy from scarborough with an LS1 Auto in that color.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:55 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

I'm 29, but my car is an M6. Who do you know in Scarborough?
Old 03-19-2006, 05:12 PM
Teching In

BE CAREFUL WHEN LOOKING! I currently own a 98 Z M6 with all the popular mods. I went 2 hours out of my way today to look at a 2000 SS M6 that was supposed to be nice. The owner assured me over and over on the phone it was nice. So, I drove the 2 hours on a moments notice with the cash in hand. I arrived, and the car was junk. Misaligned hood, no grill in hood, fiberglass work, I thought it was an SS clone, etc.