Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing headers next week

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing headers next week

so my headers are coming in next week, i hear that i might have to lift the front of my car about 12" to install the l/t. it seems about right anybody install pacesetters l/t yet that can help me out and give me a little insight before i install...
Old 03-18-2007, 11:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I would look in the external engine section and do a search in that section on pacesetter. They are probably the most popular because they are cheap and fit. Mine fit great, but my y-pipe hit on the floor, so I had to install poly engine mounts.

Anyway, 12" minimum, you need the rear of the car up in the air also. The higher you can get it, the easier it will be. You need to be able to wiggle them around. You might want to do poly engine mounts at the same time you are doing exhaust, cause that job is a huge pain. I did plug/wires atthe same time also.

Brian
Old 03-18-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

let god be with you
Old 03-18-2007, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

If at all possible an 3/8 air ratchet and air compressor are great tools to have. I would also recomend that you don't tighten the headers until you have the Y-pipe on. Also a pair of mechanics gloves and long sleeves are nice to.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The higher off the ground the better and yes the rear has to come up too. I didn't do the poly mounts so I don't know if that will help, but I installed everything clamped it drove it around for awhile and then took it to an exhust shop they heated up the y-pipe where it would hit the floor and reshaped it. No clearence issues. Just us anti seeze on the bolts and I would put new plugs in as well. Oh, don't use the pacesetter header gaskets unless you want to have to replace them again, reuse the factory one. Good luck.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to grind a square piece of block off the driver's side with a grinder.