Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rotor help for newbie

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rotor help for newbie

I have just put on my one of my new rotors (left front) I have not put the rim/tire back on yet because the rotor does not spin now that everthing is bolted back together?? I spun prety easy before I tightend down the caliper bolts. Is this normal, I mean it does not even want to move.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You are changing brakes on the car too? Because if you just try to put the rotors on with a used set of pads, you will usually have to use something like a C-clamp to push the pad back into the caliper.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used the c-clamp to get the new pads and rotor back on. the wheel will not spin. just wondering if this normal thanks
Old 03-17-2007, 04:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to remove the caliper slide pins, clean, lubricate, and re-install them. I had the same problem with my front pass side.

Oh, also just to test it out put a couple of the lugnuts on to get the rotor square.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
You need to remove the caliper slide pins, clean, lubricate, and re-install them. I had the same problem with my front pass side.

Oh, also just to test it out put a couple of the lugnuts on to get the rotor square.
X2. If the rotor was moving easy before you changed the pads, just try to get a second view on it and clean some things. Nothing should have went wrong...
Old 03-17-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will try to clean the caliper slide. I also just painted the calipers to. I have lowered the car back to ground. Backed it in and out of the garage and pads are rubbing. I am going to do the other side of the car tommorow. I also have one more question, I put the brake lube that came with the pads on the pads and the part of the pads that touches the chatter clips was this what I was suppose to do? Thank for the help. The rear rotor swap was the biggest pain in the ***, I guess because of the traction control.

Last edited by tasilver; 03-17-2007 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im am still a little confused as to how the brake pads release from the rotors? You use a c-clamp to push the pistons in but what pulls the pads away from the rotors????? anybody know
Old 03-17-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

The caliper itself will, I can't describe it. One side pushes toward the rotor and the other side pulls towards it at the same time. There will be slight drag on the rotor.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by tasilver
I will try to clean the caliper slide. I also just painted the calipers to. I have lowered the car back to ground. Backed it in and out of the garage and pads are rubbing. I am going to do the other side of the car tommorow. I also have one more question, I put the brake lube that came with the pads on the pads and the part of the pads that touches the chatter clips was this what I was suppose to do? Thank for the help. The rear rotor swap was the biggest pain in the ***, I guess because of the traction control.
No lube goes on the pad itself, only on the caliper by the chatter clips I think, I've never used any. I'm not sure why the rear would be hard to replace, but then again my car doesn't have traction control. Why was the rear so hard?
Old 03-17-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

On the rear there is this metal ring with some gears in it. I look kind of like the old drum brakes but goes on the inside of the rotor. I guess if the rear wheels are spinning it can sense it. It is a really tight fit and you have to literally pry it off the spindal. I started by useing a hammer but did not get very far ( did not want to take a chance of hitting the car). Just used one good whack with sledge hammer got it off ( I know how it sounds but this worked much quicker, faster, and more precise than a hammer). I was very careful to pull on the rotor and not any of the trackion stuff.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Ah, I don't remember seeing any type of gears on my car. The rotor can get stuck on there pretty good because of rust, but as you found out it can be removed with a hammer. Just make sure the parking brake it off, I found that out after hitting my old rotors a few times. I couldn't get them off and then it hit me, I set the parking brake. Disenguaged the brake and it came off so much easier lol.