New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what happens if you take your smog pump out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what happens if you take your smog pump out?

so i'm putting on a set of full race headers on this spring and i wanna get rid of my smog setup on my 01 trans am. will it throw a check engine light or anything? do i have to get it deleted from my ecu? what have you guys done in the past thanks

jeremy
Old 02-29-2008, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

Yea I did the same thing with all 4 of my camaros i pulled the pump, the lines and the little vacuum modual behind the intake, and capped the lid..it will throw a 2nd air pump code because the O2s see no additional fresh air at startup..you will need to get it base tuned. after that no worries!...Have fun it makes the engine bay so much cleaner
Old 02-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SuperSport01LS6
Yea I did the same thing with all 4 of my camaros i pulled the pump, the lines and the little vacuum modual behind the intake, and capped the lid..it will throw a 2nd air pump code because the O2s see no additional fresh air at startup..you will need to get it base tuned. after that no worries!...Have fun it makes the engine bay so much cleaner
i can't wait to clean it up its cluttered. so what if i'm running sims? will that keep it from getting a code? i will be running lt's ory so no cats either
Old 02-29-2008, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

Nah its your primary O2s that read the extra air coming in..all that pump does is help ignite the fuel in the exhaust from cold startup to heat up the cats(pointless since u have no cats) when your at operating temp(closed loop) it wont turn on again till the engine is cold and your starting the car
Old 03-02-2008, 05:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

all you get is less clutter when you yank it out. Helps clean up the bay a bit.