Sponsored by:

Question about 98 trans am weight

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about 98 trans am weight

Hello,

I am basically wanting to purchase a weekend car. I want it to trap at least 120mph in the quarter mile. I am thinking of a 1998 LS1 trans am.

First off, is it possible to get the trans am to weigh 3280lbs (non-race weight)? I'm assuming aftermarket front seat, full gutted interior, full aftermarket bolt ons, removal of power steering, and removal of the spare tire could be a start. Not sure what that would get the car down to though.

And is it possible to trap 120+mph in the quarter mile with just full bolt ons, a cam, and a 125 shot?

Thank you!!!!!
Old 03-05-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well if I were you I would look for a hard top formula with as little options as possible and start gutting it you can do it tastefully like a few guys have done. Its very possible to trap 120+ with a cam and a 125 shot but im sure you know you will need a built trans or atleast a very good clutch if your going to run a 6speed and also a rear end.

http://www.fquick.com/MattD

Check out that car. Hes shooting for 9s with stock heads and a stock cam and im sure he will get into the 9s. Go look at his set up since his car is what your looking for kind of its very light but doesnt look that gutted out
Old 03-06-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

there is a sticky on weight reduction that should help you get an idea. Aftermarket k-member will also save you some 30 lbs i beleive

Quick Reply: Question about 98 trans am weight