Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum Ding Sound on a 1999 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 08:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum Ding Sound on a 1999 Trans Am

Hello. I had a 1995 Trans Am for 8 years. A wheel came off and I wrecked it. Anyways, I am not new to Trans Am, but I am new to the 98-02 model with different engine, etc. I now have an aluminum driveshaft. The car over all is cherry. But, when I shift from park to drive or reverse, I hear a tiny "dink" sound. Or when I give it a little gas from a traffic light, the "dink" sound occurs again. It is low in volume, but I fixed belt squeek, put on new tires, etc. as soon as I bought this new beauty. I did replace both U-joints and the sound did not get any better or worse? I know what a tranny mount sounds like when it goes all the way. That is a loud "thunk" under the floor boards. Is it possible the tranny mount is starting to go and the "dink" sound is traveling through the hollow aluminum driveshaft? I got this car with 78000 miles on it and everything is so clean you could eat off it in the engine compartment, the interior, the body etc. Any ideas as to what this sound could be? My 1995 Trans Am had a steel driveshaft with no sound. I think it was solid too. I have had this car on the lift with 2 mechanics who pointed out to me the sound comes from the driveshaft, but do not know what to do next.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:18 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

It is normal with the aluminum driveshaft.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you put some pressure on the transmission mount upwards, you can see how much it flexes to help clarify the problem..I took a small prybar and lifted up on the transmission off of the cross member very carefully.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:52 AM
12 Second Club

i think i am having this same the tranny mount is broke. when my car does it it pops acouple times and then its normproblem with my car. i think its the front side of the drive shaft where it goes into the tranny is going bad oral. another thing to check, look and see how close your exhaust is to your driveline. if its close the rear end could be twisting up, making your drive shaft hit something.