Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preparing my Z28 for a Cross Country Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preparing my Z28 for a Cross Country Road Trip

In a few weeks, I will be relocating from my home at Purdue (Indiana) to sunny San Diego, CA! It is about a 2200 mile trip and I need to make sure my car can do it. It runs perfectly fine now with about 90k on the clock. The tranny generally shifts fine except I cant SLAM 4th gear or it grinds.

The brakes are good, and the tires are good. I'll check them over again before I leave obviously but what else should I look at? Oil change, check the belts...yeah. What else?

Also, any suggestions as to good places to stop and look around along the way?
Old 04-16-2008, 09:57 AM
Staging Lane

I ahve the same problem, I am moving from atl to berkeley, cali and i am not wanting to drive it across country at all. Does anyone know a good shipper for cars thats relatively cheap for us or will we have to make the drive? whats the best?
Old 04-16-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00PEWTERmaroz28
I ahve the same problem, I am moving from atl to berkeley, cali and i am not wanting to drive it across country at all. Does anyone know a good shipper for cars thats relatively cheap for us or will we have to make the drive? whats the best?
dude they arent that bad to ride in cross country. Used to drive my Z between texas and cali all the time when I was at hood.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just do your common sense check up on the car. Change the oil, good tires....other than that these cars are really reliable and the trip should be fun.

If you are looking for someone to ship the car, I have a friend who shipped his corvette with Thomas C. Sunday, Inc. It is an enclosed trailer with a car lift, so there is no driving the car on and off of ramps. They are a little more expensive, but seem to be a first class operation and take really good care of the cars.

P.S. If you drive it across country, I would invest in some of the plastic you can apply to the front of the car that will stop you from getting rock chips from all the semi's and other cars you can get stuck behind. It won't look pretty, but it sure will save your paint for the drive there. It just peels off when you are finished with it.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Launching!

one thing you might look into is renewing your plates... I know Cali is **** about smog test, so if you don't think your gonna pass smog(must have cats, no mid or long tube headers, all functioning emissions equip -I think-)... so if your plates are coming due soon, you could renew now and have 3/4 years to worry about passing smog
Old 04-16-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Actually you'll have to do a smog check anyway in California since you'll have to register once you get out there by law, of course that's unless your military but in that case you'll still have to do a smog check to get a base pass.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...r9.htm#feesdue

I drove my SS from Wisconsin to San Diego two years ago when I moved out here and it wasn't too bad of a trip. Just make sure your car is mechanically sound before you head out. One thing to think about is a front end bra, I put one on for the trip and it saved the front of my car from some damage with all of the various road debris and tumbleweeds I ran across.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you should be fine. check your fluids and such before heading off, i find driving my z for a long period of time is actually more comfy than my moms accord.. but thats just me
Old 04-16-2008, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucas'02SS

P.S. If you drive it across country, I would invest in some of the plastic you can apply to the front of the car that will stop you from getting rock chips from all the semi's and other cars you can get stuck behind. It won't look pretty, but it sure will save your paint for the drive there. It just peels off when you are finished with it.
Blue painters' tape is the best. It's what I always use.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would ship my car. Cross country with my suspension I would would need a bunch of pain pills to make 2200 miles. I drove a lowered Z from Daytona to pensacola and I would never do that agian. That trip was eight hundered miles.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

GASFreight.com
Old 04-16-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was charged when gas was 3.10 a gallon 750 for my eclipse and 780 foropen container...it was not that bad at all, i did not go closed cause it was like 400 more, plus u just have to make sure that the place is insured, plus when they took my car they want you car to be as clean as possible so they can put all dents scrathces in the order sheet, then you sign it.....pretty easy people to deal with, i shipped my cars from orange county california to tampa florida...its normal for prices to go up and down because of gas prices......i hope this gives you an idea
Old 04-27-2008, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

As mentioned check all fluid levels in engine, transmision and rear end. Fix any leaks before you leave. Also belts and hoses. Tire pressure, don't forget the spare and make sure you have the jack, lug wrench Etc.. Windshield wiper blades and all lights. Look at the air filter. If anything has been bugging you get it fixed before you leave. Make sure you have some good CD's and enjoy the ride.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Just made a 1200 mile trip in mine. Just checked the belts, hoses, battery, brakes, and had the coolant, oil, and fuel filter replaced. Had no problems and got awesome gas mileage.. Also taped up the whole front end in blue painters tape

Quick Reply: Preparing my Z28 for a Cross Country Road Trip