Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plumbing 2+ stages on a big hit

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 09:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Plumbing 2+ stages on a big hit

I am looking to run 2 stages, 1 plate kit and a direct port. I want to use my plate out the hole and bring the dp in about .8 into the run. What does everyone do? Should I run it like 2 complete seperate kits? 2 gauges, 2 purge solenoids, 2 bottles, 2 feed lines, etc. etc. Or should I just run 1 20lb bottle with 1 feed line and run everything off that? I am confused how to run it if I did this route.... Any help would help. Im going to run Nano and The shot size will be a total of 500-600 combined.

Joe
Old 01-19-2009, 11:12 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are many options available. We have set up many applications like you are looking to do.
What is the over all amount of HP you are looking to spray. Is this just for the track or is it for mostly street use?

If it is mostly for the track the largest I would go with the nano is the 15lb. If you are mostly street playing and can afford the extra weight and find room to install it the 20lb will give you more nitrous availability with out having to trade out the bottle.

I would run one single -6 main feed line. You can run one purge where the main feed line splits off the feed each stage. Or you can put a purge at the nitrous solenoid of each stage. Personally I would just do one at the Y.

Let me know if I can help at all.
Dave
Old 01-19-2009, 05:25 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks, Its a track only car. I am looking to spray a max of 500-600 depending the times I get, I only have a 10 point cage as of now.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:36 PM
FormerVendor

Since being mostly track I would do a single 15lb bottle with the nano. Start on the plate with about 200 out the hole and bring the rest in on the directport.

Let me know if you need help putting together a combination.
Dave
Old 01-19-2009, 06:09 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks
Old 01-19-2009, 06:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same setup and I run two separate lines and 2 bottles. I run a -4 line on the plate kit and a -6 on the DP. I like the fact that I can run different amounts of bottle pressure on each kit and I don't have to worry about changing bottles as much. A 5-600 hit would suck a single 15lb bottle dry in no time.

Plus, 2 bottles looks a lot cooler LOL
Old 01-19-2009, 09:22 PM
10 Second Club

Will both these stages be able to run fine off one stand alone? I have the kit from Nitro daves.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:01 PM
FormerVendor

Yes, I would suggest tuning in the directport first. Get the Jetting and fuel pressure exactly where you want it. Then tune the plate in seperately with out touching the fuel pressure.
Dave
Old 01-20-2009, 09:07 AM
10 Second Club

Sounds good
Old 01-20-2009, 09:22 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 1999TransamWs6
Will both these stages be able to run fine off one stand alone? I have the kit from Nitro daves.
You should be able to do that without any problems, thats how we run several of our setups. Personally, I would start with the plate first. Im not sure which plate or intake your using, but you might not have equal distribution to each runner. From there you will be able to tell which cylinders are running hotter then others and adjust your DP to compensate. If you use the DP to dial in your A/F per cylinder, then when all 500hp worth of nitrous is flowing you should have a fairly even distribution across the board.

Personally, I run both stages on separate bottles. As long as you tune each stage individually based on a certain PSI, then you should be fine. I run a nitrogen push system on each bottle, which obviously helps to maintain a specific pressure. The problem with running two bottles without that setup will depend on what size shot you are running. If you have 150/350, then the second bottle is going to see a much larger pressure drop. With the push system you dont really have to worry about that.

Last edited by Mike@HSW; 01-20-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:18 AM
10 Second Club

This all is helping very much, What PSI should I be running my stand alone at? I know I have 2 springs, also I know it is something I have to tune for but what would the range im working in be? I need to buy a fuel pressure gauge and want to make sure im getting the right one. Thanks.

Joe
Old 01-20-2009, 10:27 AM
FormerVendor

I would recommend running the standalone with the low pressure spring. The tuning is more precise with a wider range of opportunity on dialing in the a/f. You're going to want to get an open flow gauge and set your pressure that way.

Nick
Old 01-20-2009, 10:42 AM
FormerVendor

This all is helping very much, What PSI should I be running my stand alone at? I know I have 2 springs, also I know it is something I have to tune for but what would the range im working in be? I need to buy a fuel pressure gauge and want to make sure im getting the right one. Thanks.

Joe
Which plate kit do you have. EFI or a carb style? obviously some are designed for high and low pressure.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taking notes.......
Old 01-20-2009, 01:58 PM
10 Second Club

Plate kit is carb style. The gauge options I have are 15PSI, 30PSI and 100PSI. Which one should I buy?
Old 01-20-2009, 02:21 PM
FormerVendor

Most of the carb plates need to be run low pressure. What gauges are you looking at? Are these gauges for reference only? Generally speaking most gauges aren't accurate enough to properly set your flowing pressure on the standalone system so I wouldn't use it for that purpose. If the gauge is only to monitor the system for large dips and blips, just go with the 15psi scale. I say this because at 5.5psi, percentage points can make a fairly large difference in jetting.

Nick
Old 01-20-2009, 02:34 PM
10 Second Club

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
This is the gauge im looking at, it matches all my other gauges. This is the one I would need? Not one that goes to 30 or 100? What would you recommend for tuning? Any links to a guage you think would be my best choice? The one in cab is for major pressure changes so I can monitor it and make sure everything is running nominal before a nitrous pass. Thanks a lot you have made this a lot easier for me. I hate doing things twice

Joe
Old 01-20-2009, 02:45 PM
FormerVendor

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
This is the gauge im looking at, it matches all my other gauges. This is the one I would need? Not one that goes to 30 or 100? What would you recommend for tuning? Any links to a guage you think would be my best choice? The one in cab is for major pressure changes so I can monitor it and make sure everything is running nominal before a nitrous pass. Thanks a lot you have made this a lot easier for me. I hate doing things twice

Joe
Hey Joe, I will shoot you over a PM.

Nick
Old 01-20-2009, 10:41 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Mike@HSW
You should be able to do that without any problems, thats how we run several of our setups. Personally, I would start with the plate first. Im not sure which plate or intake your using, but you might not have equal distribution to each runner. From there you will be able to tell which cylinders are running hotter then others and adjust your DP to compensate. If you use the DP to dial in your A/F per cylinder, then when all 500hp worth of nitrous is flowing you should have a fairly even distribution across the board.

Personally, I run both stages on separate bottles. As long as you tune each stage individually based on a certain PSI, then you should be fine. I run a nitrogen push system on each bottle, which obviously helps to maintain a specific pressure. The problem with running two bottles without that setup will depend on what size shot you are running. If you have 150/350, then the second bottle is going to see a much larger pressure drop. With the push system you dont really have to worry about that.

The problem with this thought process is that if you are relying on the directport to add fuel for the plate it would only work correctly if you were running both stages all the time and bring them in at the same time.. Kind of takes away the purpos of stages.

Mike. Some food for thought....

The reason for tuning the directport in first is simple. If you need a big air fuel change do it with the fuel jets. If its just a very small change do it with adjusting the fuel pressure.

Now that you have the directport tuned in. Tune just the plate only.
Since changing the fuel jets in a plate are much easier you can easily dial it in alot faster with just changing the fuel jets.

In the event you do have a cylinder burning differently with the plate there are other tunning options to geting it dialed in correctly. If the plate flows well on the intake and delivers well this should not be an issue.

I have tuned so many cars over the years I have learned what gets the tune up done the best the fastest way. This is something that comes with time and experience.
Dave
Old 01-20-2009, 10:43 PM
FormerVendor

I do agree about tuning both systems in on low pressure. However they could also be done with High pressure just as easy and some people prefer high pressure. I prefer low pressure on a directport.