Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulling timing out for spray

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default pulling timing out for spray

I have seen alot of post about pulling timing out for spray, I have used nitrous on 2 of my old cars, I always knocked around 4 degrees out for the 200 shot on my 69 and never had any issues, but I had a distributor and a timing light on it. This is my first LS engine and I am almost ready for my H/C and fast swap. I have PRC 5.3 heads, ported fast 92 with PTM throttle body, and a custom cam, with full length headers and Ypipe, and a rumbler catback. When I swap all this stuff I am going to trailer my car and have it dyno tuned. I plan on spraying the car at the track, so my question is this. When I have the car dyno tuned, do I have him tune it for best power and then knock a few degrees out in the tune? and then drive the car all the time with out the spray a few degrees retarded?
Old 01-26-2009, 05:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is the safest way or you can get a timing tuner and i believe it only pulls the timing when nitrous turns on, which alot of people do but i do hear that if for some reason the timing tuner did not work or stopped working it could be the difference in your motor running or not but others say just get the tuner since you drive n/a 99% of the time and not worth losing a few hp's during that whole time so it is kinda up to you
Old 01-26-2009, 12:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a few ways of going about it. I have always been a fan of using a device to pull the timing especially on street driven cars. But obviously that comes at a higher premium, so pulling a few degrees out of your tune can be a very cost effective way of doing it since you are already getting a tune anyways. Feel free to shoot me over a PM and we can discuss a few options that are available.

Nick