Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Share your horror stories--->

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Share your horror stories--->

I haven't heard of too many people "blowing their engine" with nitrous. If you have id like to hear the story and what happened, i might just learn from others misfortunes.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:53 PM
Restricted User

Hooribel to me personally, I left the bottle closed during an event, had to run my friend, and worse yet, the opponent was a female marine, I am a soldier. So that run really sucked, she won, and I was devastated, never again I said...too bad that wasnt true!

But, to a friend, during a dyno session, a mechanic had cycled a plate system to see if the solenoids were working...after a minute, they started it up! Boom off goes the intake....luckily it was a Mustang. Guess they worked!
Old 12-04-2003, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CAT3
But, to a friend, during a dyno session, a mechanic had cycled a plate system to see if the solenoids were working...after a minute, they started it up! Boom off goes the intake....luckily it was a Mustang. Guess they worked!
Old 12-05-2003, 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This good. Hardly any blow ups. I'm still trying to convince the wife that N20 is safer than it's reputation.

Anybody else? To the top!
Old 12-05-2003, 11:18 AM
Restricted User

Thats up for debate, BUT if you use the safety devices, and have respect for what you are working with it is safer than its reputation. It just gets silly when you dont use things like, FPSS, Filter, (window switch I dont like-no need unless your an A4 and want to "save" you trans!)Vent tube.

Good luck with her and the wife!

Charlie
Old 12-05-2003, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Default saw two bad ones...

Two friends in 5.0's blew up their **** in a row off a 200shot. Hole in #4 piston for the LX, and the really old solenoid stuck open on the hatchback, sending the hood and left fender into the air. The lx cost 900 and he was trying to blow it up. The hatch cost $3000, and his wiring job had more duct-tape than anything. Do it right, and that wont happen. I just ordered mine two days ago. Can't wait till I'm sprayin =)
Old 12-05-2003, 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CAT3
Thats up for debate, BUT if you use the safety devices, and have respect for what you are working with it is safer than its reputation. It just gets silly when you dont use things like, FPSS, Filter, (window switch I dont like-no need unless your an A4 and want to "save" you trans!)Vent tube.

Good luck with her and the wife!

Charlie
Thanks CAT3. I could use that luck. I would never think of NOT using a FPSS and Filter. Change to the Walbro fuel pump too?

Wow, that Mustang story sounds pretty wild with **** flying through the air and all No vid?
Old 12-05-2003, 06:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most bad stories are caused from lack of knowledge or improper use.Do it correctly and it will be a wonderful thing.
Dave
Old 12-05-2003, 07:11 PM
Restricted User

Wonderful thing it is too!

Yes, I would recommend a Walbro 340m, even if you were not planning on juicing. Its a $200 investment that has the ability to cover enough fuel output for most modders needs. And dont forget the TR6 or TR5724-8's if you want to go BIG'er on the shots!

Theres nothing like that 20+mpg ride, then flip a switch and listent to the engine devour cubic feet of air instantly, and turning that docile little camaro into a major ***-hauling machine! God I love the sound the Z makes when shes juicing at 150, 175 or the new 180shots....MMmmmm Good.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

so there isnt anyone out there who has blown an ls1 up with a properly installed N20 setup? i guess a 150 shot would go nicely with my future H/C.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:34 PM

Your nuts if you dont use a window switch... M6 or A4. Guess what happens if you hit the rev limiter while spraying....
Old 12-06-2003, 04:24 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002C5COUPE
so there isnt anyone out there who has blown an ls1 up with a properly installed N20 setup? i guess a 150 shot would go nicely with my future H/C.

I have a friend on this board who lost a piston due to a misshift. sad part,? he wasn't driving the car..
Old 12-06-2003, 04:25 AM
10 Second Club

My worse experience? Has anyone seen the fireball video where it has major backfire through the intake and the lid and maf blow off? I was the filmer. Lost a few eye brow hairs, and nose hairs, but it was worth it.
Old 12-06-2003, 04:26 AM
Restricted User

Uhmm Country Boy, I have LAID on the RL before whiel spraying. The worst one has been when my fuel line ruptured inside the tank, look at pics in my link-nice one there, anyway. I was running a 175 wet shot, but the fuel just wasnt there, my O2s logged at 20 and 25mV. Yes Twenty and Twenty-Five. Not to say that sitting on a rev limited is cool, safe, fun or anything, mine had to do with a poor tune, but it happens. And Yes I am crazy I suppose but so am I.
I liked the idea of trying a 200 wet, single stage outta the hole shortly after Reckless blew his engine on the same size DP shot. Worked for me, but i was a little too conservative too.
My point is if your an M6, you have to let off the throttle to shift, so why use a WS? And for me, my car is tuned to shift and the rev limiter now set so that it has plenty of cushion. Something like, shift at 6400rpms, and rev limiter on at 6950rpms. On juice it gets up to 6780 +/-20rpms, but no more. I have however thought about lowering the shift point, taking advantage of the Nitrous Torque curve. What do you think? Crazy, yep!
Old 12-06-2003, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Country Boy
Your nuts if you dont use a window switch... M6 or A4. Guess what happens if you hit the rev limiter while spraying....
No real need on A4 if your tranny can take it. As for rev limiter just bump it up 200 rpm higher than your shift points and voila.One should run in OD anyways so overshift is practically impossible. You get much slower times if you cut off the N2O flow. Not too mention that on a dry kit, windowing opens up the possibility of MAF misreads between shifts and that is more detrimental.
Basicaly have a strong tranny and don't let off until the finish line.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

My Horror Story:

Had a mustang I had been trying to race for weeks pull up next to me at a stop light, I reached around to turn on my bottle and it was empty
Old 12-06-2003, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

On my old 5.3 with head, cam, stall, gears, headers, and 100 shot lasted for 15 bottles. When SLP Day came I wanted to get into the 11s. I thought a 150 shot would be perfect.
I spun off the line for a second and then got back into it. It was alittle before the 1/8th mile mark that the truck laid over. Backed of the gas and cut the juice off. Gave the motor alittle pedal and heard a popping noise out of the exhaust.
It seems that a chunk of the exhaust valve stuck between the piston and cylinder wall. Opps. 4 spark plugs had no ground strap. 13.7@74 was my ET. Not bad I think.
Thats my horror story. If I wouldn't have gotten greedy and waited 2 more weeks for my fuel pump, it would have gone alot different. It seems that N20 needs fuel also. A stock truck fuel pump couldn't handle it.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4thGENRETARD
No real need on A4 if your tranny can take it. As for rev limiter just bump it up 200 rpm higher than your shift points and voila.One should run in OD anyways so overshift is practically impossible. You get much slower times if you cut off the N2O flow. Not too mention that on a dry kit, windowing opens up the possibility of MAF misreads between shifts and that is more detrimental.
Basicaly have a strong tranny and don't let off until the finish line.

would my stock trans. hold up to a 100 shot without a window switch?
Old 12-06-2003, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002C5COUPE
would my stock trans. hold up to a 100 shot without a window switch?
IMHO YES! With a 100 shot whether wet or dry it is not a big issue, especialy on your 2002 C5. Just make sure you monitor AFR/ and timimg. No more than 28* at WOT. If you go higher than 100 you'll have to retard at least 1* for every 50hps. (Rule of thumb is 2*). Run a little rich is better than borderline. Also make sure you start shooting above 3000rpm and avoid shooting in 4th gear. I shoot 150 dry and I kill it 200 rpm before I shift into 4rth. I make over 500rwhps with N2O. So far the tranny is holding. I got a TCI SSF 3500 (No shift kit) but I increased line pressure by 50%.Of course my tranny only got 35K and very frequent fluid change.(Every 5K).
Old 12-07-2003, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

I made a booboo one time. I upgraded solenoids and upped the jets on my cad. I let the pressure get a little too high(around 1175 psi) and I tried to spray the car outa the whole and it spun and I imidiately let off the nitrous and the solenoid stuck open and shortly after I got a big BOOM......... luckily I only killed a MAFS. I put my other solenoid back on and the 100 jets and went right back to racing.

Josh S.

Quick Reply: Share your horror stories--->