Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do these plugs look okay?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do these plugs look okay?

Just wondering why the damage is not in any particular order. These were fresh Tr6 plugs. Look at the last run on this video and you can see where i had a major backfire. Not sure where to go from here other than getting the injectors flow tested. Can anyone explain how/why this happened? Is a TR6 too hot of a plug for that amount of power?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMy5vnWpCXg

2002 ls1
bolt ons
cam
hsw plate kit
400whp 400tq on motor
568whp 590ft lbs on the hsw kit.
speed density dyno tuned by forum sponsor Jeremy Formato (Fasterproms.net)

Last edited by nofxrxmxpx; 01-13-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW !!

Ya TR6's are not good for nitrous.
How much timing?
Nitrous jetting?
Looks like you have a oil consumption issue also.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:30 PM
9 Second Club

Looks like an oil problem to me.

also yes, I would be running a different plug, a non projected one at that.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow you broke three of them??? DAMN!

i always thought that tr6 was a good nitrous plug?
Old 01-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Another perfect example of someone running a TR6 with nitrous that should NOT BE.

For some reason, I'm not surprised.

There is 100% a problem with that engine as well.. it's using oil for sure, the oil that's coming out at the shifts is a big time indicator, and the plugs are showing it as well.

You have a blowby problem #1, #2 your plugs are way too hot. Your'e at 560 rwhp, and I'd guess you're on pump gas too right? LOL, who tells people that this is right... I'd like to slap them. I don't even want to know where the timing and fuel is... I'm sure that it's probably on a strait n/a timing setup too, but with some fuel added for nitrous right
Old 01-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

hey guys, at least it went 10's! And yes it was on pump gas. It is a street car

on a more serious note... what plug should i put in, and what could cause that oiling problem?
Old 01-13-2010, 01:12 PM
9 Second Club/Nitrous Mod

You need to get your motor checked (compression, leakdown) before going any further!

I hope the newbies and others that praise tr6s are reading this!
Old 01-13-2010, 01:44 PM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by shortdog
You need to get your motor checked (compression, leakdown) before going any further!

I hope the newbies and others that praise tr6s are reading this!
LOL. Good luck with that one. There's always the one ******* that will tell people that they'er o.k. and take every bit of the proof that they're not, and wash it down the toilet. Happens every time.

As for what plug should be used, at 560 rwhp, if you're using pump gas, I'd put at least a #7 in there. And you need to run NON PROJECTED TIP SPARK PLUGS REGARDLESS OF BRAND!!!! Honestly I don't know why you don't just put some real fuel in the car, that would probably not only gain you some power but would give you a safety gap, something that there's obviously none of.

The motor's got a ring issue, at a minimum it needs to be ringed. And while it's apart for that, mine as well put some good pistons and rods in it, gap the rings right, and go thru everything. Do it once right, or 1/2 *** it and end up doing it over again. That's where you're at from the looks.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

this motor has under 30,000 miles on it and less than 1 bottle through it at this power level. I will be switching a colder plug and trying it again. I also believe that is fuel smoke on the shifts.

I am debating on running a dedicated fuel cell for the nitrous system and keeping it full of race gas. After seeing these plugs I think it is a great idea.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:02 PM
9 Second Club

It has an oiling problem nomatter if it had 30k miles or 100k miles, those plugs have oil all over them. Oil also causes detonation which can lead to what you have now and even worse. and that is oil on shifts, does fuel puff out white or black? thatd be black. it's oil.

Also what is the timing at n/a and on the bottle? and what jets in the plate?
Old 01-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

i know it CAN have an oil problem at any amount of miles, however the only smoke i have ever seen come out of the exhaust has been fuel smoke. The motor sounds and runs healthy and the numbers it ran at the track indicate it is defiantly NOT down on power.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:23 PM
9 Second Club

Then why ask if you aren't gonna take anybodys advice? good luck, you are just covering up the problem.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:24 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by nofxrxmxpx
this motor has under 30,000 miles on it and less than 1 bottle through it at this power level. I will be switching a colder plug and trying it again. I also believe that is fuel smoke on the shifts.
Do you have any breathers on the valve covers?

LS motors are notorious for oil consumption.
Pull the intake off and clean it and the TB out.
Change plugs very often(at least a 7 heat range non projected plug) and put some good gas in it.

If its fuel smoke on the shift then its VERY rich which will burn your motor up also.

You need to find out how much timing it has and what jets your running or your just going to keep burning **** up.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

I do not have any breathers on the valve covers, I have them y-ed together and vented under the car. I am open to suggestions for a new setup if this is the cause of my oil issue.

I have the intake the TB off the car. The TB looks fine, shows no signs of oil. The intake on the other hand needs all new gaskets and had a negligible amount of oil in it.

Last edited by nofxrxmxpx; 01-13-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Race your car!

Do a leakdown and compression test first, and see where it's at. That will tell you what's wrong.

Where is the timing and fuel? You don't have to put a standalone in at your level, just put good fuel in the main tank and be done with it.

Chances are the motor's got issues that are causing the oil comsumption... and it's coming apart in order to resolve the issue.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by camscam02
Then why ask if you aren't gonna take anybodys advice? good luck, you are just covering up the problem.
How is going to a colder plug, changing the PCV system, and getting the injectors flow tested and/or cleaned "covering up the problem". I am not the type of person that rebuilds a motor because some dude on a forum thinks it may or may not have bad rings. I am confident in my tuner and have already emailed him to see what he thinks.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Do a leakdown and compression test first, and see where it's at. That will tell you what's wrong.

Where is the timing and fuel? You don't have to put a standalone in at your level, just put good fuel in the main tank and be done with it.

Chances are the motor's got issues that are causing the oil comsumption... and it's coming apart in order to resolve the issue.
I will be compression testing and leak testing the motor once i get it out of the car and on a stand. I do not have the map on hand. As i said in the previous post, I emailed my tuner because I know he has the map on hand. I run this car on the street and it will only have pump gas in the tank, that is the reason I went with the ls1 over the pos rotary.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:15 PM
9 Second Club

How is going to a colder plug, changing the PCV system, and getting the injectors flow tested and/or cleaned "covering up the problem". I am not the type of person that rebuilds a motor because some dude on a forum thinks it may or may not have bad rings. I am confident in my tuner and have already emailed him to see what he thinks.
Look up a few posts in this thread, you said "I will be switching a colder plug and trying it again", that is where you would be covering up a problem. By covering up meaning you weren't gonna check the motor out,tune out, your oil issues, you just wanted to put plugs in it and go and hope for the best.

Hope that makes better sense. You have an oil problem coming from somewhere, I would check that out before spraying it again, oil will kill it on the bottle very quickly.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:15 PM
9 Second Club

Some dude on a forum knows more than your tuner.
After all your **** burned up on a 150 shot... thats hard to do.

If he was any kind of nitrous tuner you wouldnt have to post pics of some ugly *** burned up plugs and be asking "some dudes on a forum" for help.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not arguing with you, bro. Find another thread if you don't like this one.