Sponsored by:

after search/research, still confused

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 12:10 PM
WOT
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after search/research, still confused

ok guys i really need some help here. i have been reading this section for quite some time here as nitrous is the way i would like to take my car in the future. i made sure the cam was good for nitrous and the bottom end will just have to wait for now.

my question is kinda simple in that i have no real direction in the company/kit i would like to purchase. if you were in my shoes and looking in my direction where would you go. would it be with the same company or someone else?

i hear about dry but that scares the hell out of me. wet seems like the safest bet for the dollar. customer service is a must as you can tell with the products i have purchased so far. for the time being i would like a 100 shot since the bottom end is getting pushed as it is. my future plans are to upgrade this once i get my bottom end to maybe 150/175 and thats it. i wont be looking for more power after that.

so what kits seem to be the most reliable. i would like to control the amount through the rpm band in the future and i am not really needing a direct port???? atleast so i think. i like to make my purchases at one time and have it all installed/tuned at the time of purchase. i live in texas so there are a lot of companies around that are qualified.

here is a list of parts i feel i will need to help things along. if i miss any please add to the list with a ballpark price or so. this is a near future purchase and all opinions are welcome.

fuel pump (make / model?)
injectors (make / model?)
wet kit ?
safety switches
possible control module?
heater/purge/blow down?
remote opener?

i have around 2 grand to spend and it is burning a hole in my pocket. nitrous has always fascinated me but even after all the reading i have done i am still learning everytime i log on. thanks in advance

ps i am sure that you are all sick and tired of the WHAT KIT TO BUY threads and even though i have made all decisions myself before i feel i need a little help.

Last edited by WOT; 12-28-2003 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe Nitrous Express, or NX, has the best nitrous systems in the industry. They are a one stop company as they have every piece or accessory you would ever need. Their MAF kit is very well proven. It is easy to install, makes good horsepower, can be dual staged later, and looks trick. The numbers in my sig were made with one of their MAF kits jetted at a 100 shot.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:55 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would stick with a very well established brand. NOS and NX are both highly respectable companies with racers that really back them up. Nothing is ever on backorder and they are always there to take your questions and figure out even sometimes the strange and obscure things.

If you want to stick with the lower end of the spectrum the MAF setup really looks to be the way to go. You may have to upgrade the intank pump and just run off the stock fuel system. If it's a wet kit, no need to worry about your injectors. I would highly recommend using a electronic throttle position sensor over the standard WOT switch that comes with the kit. Personally I don't see the need for the controller. I'd try it without it for starters then figure out if you need to spend the money later. The blowdown tube will be required as will the heater. In place of a blowdown tube you can also run braided line, that's purely up to you, it just has A purge is nice to have as well. Remote bottle openers are nice if you can't get to the bottle, but aren't entirely necessary. Just get what you need to get going you can always add on later.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:11 PM
WOT
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the quick respons guys. one more thing, after the tune needed for nitrous/plugs and such, how much NA power will i lose. is there an average that goes with the size shot one is running? TIA
Old 12-29-2003, 05:41 PM
Restricted User

I ran my NX wet kit with 100shot, on TR6 plugs gapped at .035 and that was it for tuning. I did make sure the recommended jets were rich enough by wideband. I ran my 150jets the same but added 100octane mix. Once I went to 175 and 200 I did pull timing, and richen up a bit though. Power loss, minimal but is dependent on shot size.
This is where the benefit of a dry kit comes in. You run a Dry Kit, upgrade injectors, and when you can have it tuned so that the dry hits the MAF and pulls timing for you. So you can run that 150shot on a tune and run NA on an NA tune, only difference being a splash of race gas and narrow plugs. Thats the only change i would make, instead of running the NX wet kit, make it a dry kit. I run the NXL now, so really wish I had a dry kit for the tuning advantages.