Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with my N2O graph?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 09:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's up with my N2O graph?

Have any of you Nitrous gurus seen this type of graph before. We did several pulls and the N20 hp was very inconsistant. We varied anywhere form 540 hp to this 585 pull. Bottle pressure was right around 1000psi for each pull. Setup is a N20 Outlet plate kit with 150 hp N20 jet and what would probably be a 125 fuel jet, but it is still really rich as you can see. Also running a standalone fuel system maintaining 55 psi during the entire run. Trans is a th400 with a yank 3600 converter. When looking at the same same graph using wheel speed the graph was very linear so I know that it shouldnt be anything slipping in the trans. Could this be a bad ground? I really don't know. Plus I am thinking I might have to put in the 100 fuel jet just to lean it out further. I can't believe how rich the recomended jets make the car. Overall, still very happy with the kit, but I would like to get things a bit more consistant, smoothed out, and maybe a bit leaner. If you couldnt figure it out the 440hp run was NA.
EDIT: Sorry about the really tiny graph I cant seem to get it to show up any larger. But you can still make out how jumpy the graph is on the N20 and the A/F bottoming out lower than the dyno can register.

Last edited by fastGBcamaro; 05-07-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very rich!
Why it only make 100hp on the 150 jets and runs like ****.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

What fuel adjustments were you trying with the standalone?
Old 05-07-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have aYANK SS3600 and my dyno was weird too, but it hit hard then fell off??? I posted it if you want to search
Old 05-07-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JoeyGC5
What fuel adjustments were you trying with the standalone?
We started with the recommended jet size for a 150 shot, then dropped the fuel pressure from 55 to 45psi, still RICH. Then dropped the fuel jet 2 sizes and put the pressure at 55psi again, Still RICH. SO we dropped fuel pressure on the smaller jet and it was still so rich that it wasnt registering on the wideband. At that point it was midnight and I needed to get home. We plan on dialing it in further, but I figured I would ask on here to see if anyone has seen anything like this before. I hope its just the rich condition causing this, but somthing tells me its not.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:37 PM
8 Second Club

I have seen this happen when the nitrous was too hot and/or too much pressure.
(read supercritical phase)
I know you said the pressure was "around" 1000 psig but nitrous can go supercritical at 1050 psig.
It is not uncommon for the cheap bottle gauges to be off 50 to 75 psig.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

May be because I am on a laptop but I can not see the graph clear at all.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:46 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Looks just like mine when I broke a spring.....

Originally Posted by fastGBcamaro
Have any of you Nitrous gurus seen this type of graph before. We did several pulls and the N20 hp was very inconsistant. We varied anywhere form 540 hp to this 585 pull. Bottle pressure was right around 1000psi for each pull. Setup is a N20 Outlet plate kit with 150 hp N20 jet and what would probably be a 125 fuel jet, but it is still really rich as you can see. Also running a standalone fuel system maintaining 55 psi during the entire run. Trans is a th400 with a yank 3600 converter. When looking at the same same graph using wheel speed the graph was very linear so I know that it shouldnt be anything slipping in the trans. Could this be a bad ground? I really don't know. Plus I am thinking I might have to put in the 100 fuel jet just to lean it out further. I can't believe how rich the recomended jets make the car. Overall, still very happy with the kit, but I would like to get things a bit more consistant, smoothed out, and maybe a bit leaner. If you couldnt figure it out the 440hp run was NA.
EDIT: Sorry about the really tiny graph I cant seem to get it to show up any larger. But you can still make out how jumpy the graph is on the N20 and the A/F bottoming out lower than the dyno can register.

Not saying this is your issue but your graph looks identical to mine when I was having the same problem. On my N/A runs I made 430 RWHP with a nice smooth line. When we hit the N20 the graph went all over the place up and down ranging from 525 to 575 on a 125 jet set-up. The A/F was all over and the run looked a lot like yours going up and down like a wave. We tried everything but we were stumped! Finally the Tuner said the only explanation he could come up with is a valve spring problem. I was kind of skeptical but we decided to swap them out. We pulled the first valve cover and there it was a broken valve spring in my AFR 225 Heads! I was so lucky the springs had an outer and inner spring and the inner spring was still holding on to the valve. If that valve had let go my motor would have been toast! We swapped them out with Patriate Golds which should hold up better. Not saying it's your problem but the issues did not show up N/A only under the increased Nitrous Pressure......
Old 05-13-2010, 06:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

MAN you are very smart. You know one of the guys SAID it might be the valve spring. The other guy that worked there. WOW, that is what he said he thought it could be, the other guy said the torque converter. I DO have dual springs.

I am going to have them take a look! THANKS SO MUCH!
Old 05-13-2010, 06:41 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default No Problem...one last thing

Glad I could offer some suggestions that you think are worthwhile to look into. That's what's great about LS1Tech!. The Tuner also told me that a spring does not always have to break to go bad. In my case I was lucky and the broken spring was obvious. Kind of surprised the stock AFR Double Springs would break as I limit my revs to less than 6600 RPMs. He also said if there were no broken springs he would have tested each one on a spring guage to ensure each spring still provided the proper pressure. Good Luck!
Old 05-26-2010, 12:39 PM
Teching In

I had the same thing on my first dyno run. It was my fuel pressure safety switch. It was set to just below my current fuel pressure. Every time the nitrous hit it dropped the fuel pressure and caused the surge. Not 100% sure if this is your problem but try it with out the fpss on the dyno since the afr is so closely controlled.

Quick Reply: What's up with my N2O graph?