Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any progressive controller that will work by different gears and by rpm???

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 12:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any progressive controller that will work by different gears and by rpm???

I need a progressive controller that can have different ramping from initial percent % to full 100% for each gear, any that do that. Also it needs to ramp based on RPM not time.

I want it to ramp up to 100% then when the car shifts to 2nd, go back to say 80% and ramp back up to 100% based on RPM

Also, i need the controller to work off of RPM and not time based or delay.

I want it to give a certain amount of nitrous at each rpm so i can hold a perfectly flat torque curve from 4000-6500 rpm
Old 01-25-2004, 01:13 PM
TECH Regular

the nitrous mastermind is rpm based
Old 01-26-2004, 11:40 AM
Teching In

NX's new maximizer is what you're looking for. You can set it up for each gear
Old 01-26-2004, 12:23 PM
Banned

I wonder how the maximizer sees the rpm drop?? Guess ill have to tap the tach wire into the controller?
Old 01-26-2004, 12:46 PM
SSh
On The Tree

Check out the NX Maximizer wiring diagram here:

http://www.fjoracing.com/nx_download...%20diagram.pdf
Old 01-26-2004, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Does'nt it only have an RPM window switch? The amount of Nitrous applied is still time based. I could be wrong so dont shoot me if I am
Old 01-26-2004, 02:58 PM
SSh
On The Tree

The best way to understand the Maximizers capabilities is to load the configuration software and take a look at it. It should all becomes clear at that point. There is a Palm emulation for Windows if you don't have a Palm PDA to load the software on. The Windows Help file is also useful for understanding the features. All is available on the FJO Racing web site.

http://www.fjoracing.com/
Old 01-26-2004, 04:23 PM
Teching In

The NX maximizer is set with the same N2O and fuel pulsing at each gear with the palm controlled softeware.

In other words, when you set the ramp, delay for the second gear, it uses time and the same time period is used for all the other gears.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:26 PM
Banned

Will it do it by rpm instead of time??

Because time could screw it up if you have to peddle the car at all and also if the car is going slower/faster than usual then the rpm climb wont be the same rate...

I want the % to directly scale from the RPM not time based...does maximizer do that?
Old 01-26-2004, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

C4VetteLS1-

A search over on High Power's board came up with this for the RPM Vs. Time subject:

http://www.noswizard.com/bboard/view...c=2268&forum=1

http://www.noswizard.com/bboard/view...c=2450&forum=1

As far as I know the NX controller has no idea what gear you are in, and I can't see any easy way for it to. The PCM uses a few variables to determine what gear it is in. This is all done in the PCM, and since the NX does not have any type of connection to the PCM, how is it to obtain this information? The only thing that I came across that the NX controller does that the high power doesn’t do, is the WB sensor integration (but apparently that is in the works). Good safety feature if your car has a WB in it.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm I dont think everyone has the facts straight...

According to the NX Maximizer help file, it shows how you could adjust the percentages differently in each gear. The maximizer should be able to tell what gear you are in. Also according to the pics in the help file it shows that you could set up the % in time delay AND rpms.

Heres the link but its not direct so:

1)Go to http://www.fjoracing.com/
2)Click on "Products and Support"
3)Click on "Updates"
4)Click on "Nitrous Express "MAXIMIZER" Progressive Nitrous Controller"
5)Download the "NX "Maximizer" PC helpfile (version 1.0)"

Flip through those contents on the left column and you could see what you could do with the progressive controller. And while your doing that click on "Real Time monitoring" and then click on "Monitor Screen". In here it shows your what gear you are in along with some other fancy stuff.

This should mean that some of the replies you got were incorrect and inaccurate because the NX knows what gear you are in and it "should" be able to set percentages differently in every gear. Unless of course some people were talking about the old NX progressive controller which seems WAY less as intelligent as the new maximizer.

And to answer you last question, yes I would say you could adjust percentages according to RPMs (also Time Based if you wish).

This is what I THINK or at least what I THOUGHT after I read the help file. If anyone knows more about this chime in cause I could be wrong.

Good luck.

SSh, You mentioned "There is a Palm emulation for Windows if you don't have a Palm PDA to load the software on." Where can I download that from and would I be able to 'check out' the NX maximizer software with my home PC? I dont have a Palm Pilot but i would want to see the features of the "NX maximizer software" to see what it can really do.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I tried downloading the Palm emulation from www.download.com but I couldnt get the the "NX "Maximizer" PDA software" to work.

The program I downloaded was called : Palm OS Emulator 3.5

Can you help?
Old 01-27-2004, 11:02 PM
Banned

so have we determined if the "NEW" maximizer is rpm based and time?
Old 01-28-2004, 09:26 AM
SSh
On The Tree

1) Go to www.fjoracing.com and click on Products at the top of the page

2) select Manuals at the top of the page

3) scroll down to the maximizer section

4) click on the download button for “Evaluating FJO PDA software using the Palm OS Simulator” to get the instructions

5) follow the instructions, including the v5.2 emulation software from Palm’s site.

I have not tried this as I have a Tungsten I am running it on.

Good luck!

Scott

Last edited by SSh; 01-28-2004 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:16 AM
SSh
On The Tree

After studying the wiring diagram, the help file and the configuration software on my Palm, I have to say I am a little disappointed. My understanding at this point is even though the Maximizer has some nice features (ex. per gear control, wideband O2 sensor support – including logging) it is still a time based progressive controller.

Comments:

1) You connect to the TPS output for N2O triggering – you can set the idle, WOT and N2O trigger voltage

2) O2 interface supports Wideband and Narrowband sensors – AFR data can be monitored real-time or logged for later review (great tuning tool!)

3) You can configure the transmission for auto or manual with up to 8 gears for either – gear shift detection RPM configuration is only available when set to automatic

4) You connect to the RPM output of the PCM/ECM – this is used for N2O/Fuel safety shutoff and for determining the gear shift for an automatic trans (maybe manual?)

NOTE: It’s not clear on how manual gear shifts are detected and it does not appear to be configurable. If it uses the TPS position then any feathering of the throttle due to traction issues or power shifting (not letting off the throttle) would defeat/break the gear shift detection.

5) The N2O is controlled per gear and uses a configurable starting RPM with a delay time for starting the N2O for each gear. The rate is controlled by a start%, finish% and a ramp TIME

NOTE: There is no RPM provision for controlling the N2O rate, only for the starting and stopping. This does not seam like it would be difficult to do ( I am in the embedded SW business). They should be able to do a firmware update that would use the RPM input for controlling the N2O ramp.

Everyone should send in a feature request to NX and FJORacing!

Scott
Old 01-28-2004, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the great info SSh! This was one very helpful thread!

Hmmm... i wonder how it would detect the gear in manual cars if I were to feather the gas pedal... Maybe if I could reduce the percentages in the maximizer then traction wouldnt be an issue and I wont have to feather the gas pedal anyway?
Old 01-28-2004, 02:28 PM
SSh
On The Tree

Thanks 2002_TAWS6.

I think NX and FJORacing need a call to clarify the manual trans gear detection and to request an RPM ramp control in a firmware and control software update.

I am running 315/35 Goodyear F1 GS-D3s with 17x11 forgelines on my LS6/96 ImpalaSS and I have to feather the throttle through first and part of second with the 6 speed and 4.10 gears. I have not even mounted the bottle for the N20 yet. I might as well forget the N2O for first unless I run drag radials.

-ssh
Old 01-29-2004, 09:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

You can do gear counting by monitoring Engine RPM change, TPS position and a somewhat complex algorythm. Also the clutch has a switch on it if the vehicle has cruise control. I would think even those that dont have cruise may still have it. It would be interesting to know.
I have a controller that I built for myself that controls ignition timing retard, uses RPM and TPS to determine Nitrous percent and if you mash the throttle it goes into time based mode. I do NOT have it working by gear position at this time though. I have written code that detects gear change by RPM though for other applications. I am not a sponser on this board and I am still testing the controller so I really do not have any to offer for sale at this time. It can be done though.
I am in the process of writing a Win32 App to monitor and program the settings of the controller. I have already written a program that allows the controller software to be updated via RS-232 serial port.
It is way to cold for me to go and even think about starting my car right now so it will be spring before I do much more with my project.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:38 PM
SSh
On The Tree

Technoman64

The PCM will defiantly have the Cruise Control Signal Disengage feature (Pin D on C105 connector). I connected this in series to switches on the clutch and brake pedals I fabricated. I would assume it is available in the wiring harness regardless of the presence of cruise control or not. Really all you need is a switch on the Clutch for gear changes and read the RPM from the tach signal (pin G on C105 connector) to scale % N2O. If you wanted to add some vehicle speed sanity checking logic you could use the Vehicle Speed Sensor VSS signal (4000 pulses per mile on pin K of C220 connector).

Good luck on the project and let me know if you would like to collaborate in the future. What embedded OS and pgm language did you use? I have a lot of different embedded reference platforms that will run Linux or VxWorks. I have been trying to find some time to do something like this as well.

Scott
Old 01-29-2004, 02:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am using a Motorola MCU and programming it with Metrowerks Codewarrior, C language.
I am using the crank trigger signal for RPM signal and also have a built in Ignition Retard feature. I am just using an open drain N-Channel MOSFET to emulate the Hall Effect crank trigger signal.
For the PC/Laptop software I am using Visual C++ 6.0 Development Environment. I have been using C style programming and only using Win32 API calls so no MFC Libraries are needed for the software to run. Also the size of the program is extremely compact and will run on Win 95+ systems.
Right now I am creating a Visual Gauge Library that allows the user to configure what Information is displayed on the screen, size of the Gauge, colors, text font, min/max values, and how often it updates through a Right click Pop-Up menu. The Gauges also auto scale when changing the size of the parent window. I have been 2-weeks on this part of the project so far and should have it working in another 2-3 weeks. I have already written all of my own RS-232 software functions.
I am not trying to create the most outstanding visual programs, just ones that will run on an old $50 piece-o-junk LapTop as well as on a new one running XP. Here is a link to a screen shot of my first Visual Dashboard program. I discovered many issues with it on older PC's not running XP. This is why I am using good old Win32 API calls only for the next version. I can get almost the exact same visual qaulity using only API function calls, it is just taking a lot more time.
http://www.elmelectronics.com/obdindex.html - Click on User link to left of page to see screen shot.
I will post a message if I get this to the point of sharing with others. The software will be FREE! The controllers cost quit a bit to build though. This is a home project and not work related so it is taking me quite some time to get the bugs worked out.
PS - My design has an auxilary +12V input that could be used to detect the clutch pedal movement.
I love the drive by throttle function these cars have I want more, more, more

Quick Reply: Any progressive controller that will work by different gears and by rpm???