Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any nitrious users running a wideband A/F ratio gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any nitrious users running a wideband A/F ratio gauge?

Just wondering, alot of people on the other fourm was saying that it isn't necessary especially for a 100-125 shot and its a waste of money..seems like only the people who have turbo or supercharger use a wideband A/F ratio gauge. .
I have a 2002 z06 with ported polished heads, a Big cam, long tube headers and im peiceing up my nitrious kit
(via brandon@nitrousoutlet awesome guy btw) and a few more places..I mean I have the extra money to buy one of these wideband gauges thanks to uncle sam sending me an ok refund check lolol and I figured ill throw in a wideband gauge to my kit just so I can make sure everything is running smooth and if I see that my gauge is showing that my car is running lean, I can cut the car off and send it to the shop so they can see whats wrong with it..besides the gauge looking "cool" isnt a wideband A/f ratio gauge the only way to know if my car is running lean without hooking a laptop to it?
Basically is there anyone here useing an a/f gauge with there nitrious?

Thanks and Im looking for some help as you can see that im a noob with this type of stuff..
Old 03-06-2014, 10:31 PM
Launching!

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I ran one n/a, if you're tuning you need one, if you're relying on the tuner, the info could be irrelevant to you. It's a tuning/diagnosis tool.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's defiantly nice to have but it's not the boss like it is on a boosted car. The plugs are the boss and the wideband is for reference.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:58 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Plugs are the ultimate tuning tool for nitrous, but I also feel a wideband is very important, it may not always be 100% on point but it gives you a pretty good idea of how the car is reacting, and can help identify a lean or fat condition, which is very important.

-Garrett
Old 03-28-2014, 12:44 AM
Teching In

This is good to know!! I bought my car from a buddy and it had the 2pc MAF kit on it from Nitrous Express. Anyhow he let the car sit under his car port for 5 years and the mice chewed all the wiring up on the nitrous kit.

Needless to say I was just about to order a A/F gauge, I guess it can wait until everything is fixed then.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the AEM wideband hooked up in my NA car and I think it's one of the best mods I've done. Nitrous is going on my car, so the wideband will be even more important once that's installed.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynospeed
It's defiantly nice to have but it's not the boss like it is on a boosted car. The plugs are the boss and the wideband is for reference.
^^^This right here. Its not what to use when tuning a nitrous car. You use it to look at after you tune off of the plugs and that way when the gauge is off from what it normally reads, you know something is up and can catch it before something major happens.

I have tuned cars at the track and read the plugs and they were perefect and then look at the wideband and is says something stupid like 15:1 A/F ratio. That would make most people who tune their cars with a wideband think they are running lean but the plugs tell the true story. Just use that A/F as a reference.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm running a HCI LQ9 motor with a 100 shot, and besides the proper fuel system and plugs, all I run in a nitrous and fuel pressure gauge along with a LNC-2000 for the timing. The a/f is nice but not as nesessary IMO
Old 03-28-2014, 09:53 PM
10 Second Club

Do you need one? No, not really. However it is a great tool to have, especially if you have it set up so you can data log it and compare it to your plugs. Now if you aren't doing any tuning and having a tuner put a nice safe tune in the car so you can spray it once in a while the wideband might not mean much to you. I don't think its a very good idea for people to use nitrous in this manner, because if you're injecting it into your car you should know what the bottle pressure needs to be, how the plugs should look, and why things have to be a certain way so you can keep the engine healthy.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:03 PM
Launching!

I'm currently at 12.7-12.8 on the wideband on roughly 450 worth on nitrous and I'm still quite rich. When I added nitrous jet and leaned it out from 12.0 I got 2 cylinders that showed timing on the straps. I'm pulling another degree down to 10 degrees or maybe 9 and going to lean it out more. Plugs plugs plugs and mph
Old 03-30-2014, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't sprayed yet still need to get tuned but I also agree having that afr gauge is a great tool to have,
Old 04-25-2014, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

I have the wide band, fuel pressure ,& nitrous bottle press gauges on a triple pillar pod. Nice to see if not just to ease your mind. (I'm from the more gauges the better school) Not a necessity though. Oh yea I have the microedge nitrous contoller hooked up to the AFR as a safety cutoff.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rambodog
I have the wide band, fuel pressure ,& nitrous bottle press gauges on a triple pillar pod. Nice to see if not just to ease your mind. (I'm from the more gauges the better school) Not a necessity though.
Those are good ones to have. I have the wideband and fuel pressure gauge. They are nice to have.

Quick Reply: Any nitrious users running a wideband A/F ratio gauge?