Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Direct port problems, help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Direct port problems, help.

I have installed a NX 80000EFI kit on my truck, hard lines. I finally got to test it today. As soon as the kit comes on the motor falls on its face, not like air in the line or a stumble, it will throw you against the seat belt. The wideband reads 20.0 and does this for almost a full second. Then the fuel hits and it takes off but not as hard as my single fogger 150. When the fuel comes in the wideband reads 10.2-10.4ish, way fat.
Whats up with that? It is not a rail system, it comes with a disturbution block that is about three inches long. The fuel feed line is off of my fuel rail. I am not sure if my fuel regulator is reacting fast enough but, it was no problem with my 150. The pills are 24,16. No knock retard. The plugs look fat but, no detonation marks. I will call NX and see at lunch friday.
Any suggestions?
Old 08-12-2004, 11:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok you are usng your stock fuel system right?It worked perfect with the 150 but you steped up to the 200 and it shuts down then goes fat.What does the 20.0 mean?I have never took time out to learn that. Its one of two things.Its goinng so fat that it is stumbling or the stock fuel system is not able to keep up with the suddenn fuel demand then it catches up and goes lean.What fuel pump do you have?
Dave
Old 08-13-2004, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

20.0 is off the chart lean. I have an intake 255 and a inline pump.
I checked my fuel pressure and it drops from 60psi to 30psi. It comes back up just as fast as it drops but, there is the problem. I called NX and they are sending me a accumulator, which I hope works. They said that a fogger demands much more fuel volume on the "hit" than a single nozzle system. I will see if it works and let ya'll know Monday.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:07 PM
11 Second Club

wow 20:1 is SCARY LEAN...
Old 08-13-2004, 04:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by StupidFast
20.0 is off the chart lean. I have an intake 255 and a inline pump.
I checked my fuel pressure and it drops from 60psi to 30psi. It comes back up just as fast as it drops but, there is the problem. I called NX and they are sending me a accumulator, which I hope works. They said that a fogger demands much more fuel volume on the "hit" than a single nozzle system. I will see if it works and let ya'll know Monday.
I dont know why I didnt catch on what the 20.0 stood for LOL.I guess it was a long day.Yes its hard for the fuel system to deliver that amount of fuel for the nitrous system and motor at one time.The accumalater should fix the problem but if it continues you may look into building a seperate fuel system for the nitrous.
Dave
Old 08-13-2004, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

the accumulator will only shorten the problem. The problem ( if such a thing) will still be there. Look at all the line and surface area you have to fill with fuel. Keep in mind while the lines are filling you will not have pressure on the injectors, (if pulling fuel fromt the stock rail). The accumulator will help fill the area faster but you still have to fill it.
One question is what jet pattern are you running. Nitrous, fuel, pill.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that was happening to my DP setup. i later found out the culprit was the inline pump. since then, i will never use an inline pump. as soon as i pulled that monkey off, the stuff started to work.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't understand about the "jet" pattern? The pills are N20 26 and Fuel 16. Although, I am going to change the 16s to 14s.

Do ya'll think my intank pump will support it all? If not what would? Do ya'll not think the accumulator will fix the problem? Is it just a patch?

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i would opt for a seperate low pressure fuel system.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1QWIKZ
i would opt for a seperate low pressure fuel system.
ditto!
Old 08-14-2004, 02:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Location: From the Bowels of Hell!!! You want some of me bitch?!?!?!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can still run an intank hp pump setup. I have a NX dp kit and all I did was install and additional 255 pump intank, and run 6an feed and 4an return lines, and an Aeromotive regulator.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tim98TA
You can still run an intank hp pump setup. I have a NX dp kit and all I did was install and additional 255 pump intank, and run 6an feed and 4an return lines, and an Aeromotive regulator.
i am sure that works too, but what i would be worried about is the initial "hit" that would draw fuel from the injectors.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

If you convert your fuel sytem to a true return style system the pressure drop will go away completely. I run 83#/hr injectors on my mustang and the fuel pressure is exactly where it should be even on quick transitions.

The problem on the camaro is just how far the regulator is from the injectors. It takes a while to react. To fix it you just have to put the regulator at the end of the fuel rails.

It doesnt look like it should be a very difficult mod. I was planning on doing this to my camaro for the direct port NX system it'll be getting, but am considering using propane to supple the fuel instead.

If you want details let me know.

Steve
Old 08-17-2004, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The kit is on a 2002 Chevy truck. It has a fuel regulator on the fuel rail and is a return style system. I think maybe the regulator is not reacting fast enough. I have installed the accumulator and that has seems to help alot.
I have another post "NX accumulator questions" with some more info.
I love this site, help is always around.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

I agree with several of the guys. I would run a completely seperate fuel system. Never can go wrong as long as you do it right. Call us if you need any tips.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1QWIKZ
i am sure that works too, but what i would be worried about is the initial "hit" that would draw fuel from the injectors.
Maybe you didn't understand. I have 2 pumps in the tank. One feeds the injectors, and 1 feeds the dp. 2 totally seperate fuel lines and return lines. Totally independent from each other. There is no draw from the injectors, because they are own their own pump.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:56 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Definitely look at either running a completely second pump in the tank like suggested above or getting a separate stand alone fuel system for it. That will not effect the injectors performance at all. I run a standalone on mine and it works flawlessly. Also, I wouldn't necessarily mess with your jet map until the fueling issues are worked out. The NX jet map is very good as a baseline. Until you can get your rich to lean conditions worked out, that's one less variable to mess with.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am not very happy with this situation. The accumulator did what everyone said it would do, shorten the problem. It still has the lean condition.
I might try a 18in long feed line between the N20 solenoid and the block (keep the fuel line the same length) or install a Walbro 340 in the tank.
I only purchased this kit because NX and several other shops said I could run it from the fuel rail and have no problems. I told them what size the fuel line is, injector size, fuel pump sizes, and what motor I had. If I end up having to run a seperate fuel system, I will be slightly pissed. I don't no why but, I hate the thought a seperate fuel system.
Thanks for the help and any other suggestions.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tim98TA
Maybe you didn't understand. I have 2 pumps in the tank. One feeds the injectors, and 1 feeds the dp. 2 totally seperate fuel lines and return lines. Totally independent from each other. There is no draw from the injectors, because they are own their own pump.
ahhh, got you now. i still think a seperate low pressure fuel system is your best option.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:00 AM
TECH Junkie

It doesn't matter whether it's a low pressure or high pressure, but you SHOULD run a seperate system to avoid the problem that StupidFast is having.