Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinkin about nitrous...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 10:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default thinkin about nitrous...

My car is bone stock except for adjustable shocks, hooker muffler, and a short throw shifter. Is it completely and utterly retarted to put nitrous on it before I do all the bolt ons? Just wondering because i am all the sudden fascinated by nitrous even though I have always thought I would never want it.

What kit is the very best for just occasional street and or strip use, and when I say best the only thing that matters to me is NOT blowing up my motor cuz I cant afford to do that. Thx - Darren
Old 09-05-2005, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

nobody knows anything about nitrous?
Old 09-05-2005, 02:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TTU98SS
nobody knows anything about nitrous?
Nobody that knows anything about nitrous is on the computer right now. They're all eating BBQ and drinking beer! It's Labor Day, remember?!
Old 09-05-2005, 02:49 PM
11 Second Club

I think a dry kit like the the ZEX versions would be a good choice for you. Easy to install, least complicated, and safe when properly installed.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

its the cheapest 100 hp you can add to an otherwise stock engine. put in some colder plugs and you should be ready.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea i drank too much of it last night so im stayin inside... do you know of a place that sells a zex kit for a good price with everything you need (bottle heater, purge, etc.)
Old 09-05-2005, 02:55 PM
11 Second Club

I bought all my stuff from our sponsor, Nitro Dave/Nitrous Outlet. He has awesome prices on all things nitrous and he's very helpful as well.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:58 PM
FormerVendor

You'd be fine on a small shot. Make sure you swap out your spark plugs (NGK TR6s) and pick up a window switch & fuel pressure safety switch. As far a wet kit or a dry kit they both have there pluses and minuses. You can do a search about them for specific info, but I usually suggest a wet kit. The reason is most people start increasing their jet sizes over time and with a dry kit you'll eventually have to upgrade your injectors. So while the dry kit might be cheaper now over the long run it could be more expensive. Take a look at our kits:

http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/shop/home.php?cat=248

Matt

My car is bone stock except for adjustable shocks, hooker muffler, and a short throw shifter. Is it completely and utterly retarted to put nitrous on it before I do all the bolt ons? Just wondering because i am all the sudden fascinated by nitrous even though I have always thought I would never want it.

What kit is the very best for just occasional street and or strip use, and when I say best the only thing that matters to me is NOT blowing up my motor cuz I cant afford to do that. Thx - Darren
Old 09-05-2005, 04:16 PM
10 Second Club

If you want a no hassle kit that you only use everynow and then, the dry NOS 5177 is the way to go. It was the first mod to my car and I loved it. However, with in a month or two I wanted to make big power and I ended up switching over to a wet set up. It's just easier to make 150+hp with a simple wet kit versus the 5177. There is alittle more maintenance involed with the wet kits and I don't feel that they are as safe as the 5177.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the info guys.... is basically what i HAVE to have the kit, window switch, wot switch, FPSS, and thats it?? i have a 98 does that mean anything extra?? do i really NEED the bottle heater and stuff like that? thanks - darren
Old 09-05-2005, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

thanks for the info guys.... is basically what i HAVE to have the kit, window switch, wot switch, FPSS, and thats it?? i have a 98 does that mean anything extra?? do i really NEED the bottle heater and stuff like that? thanks - darren
I believe a bottle heater is very important if you have a wet kit for sure because if your bottle pressure is low, you're still going to get the same amount of fuel. It's important for both wet and dry kits if you want to be consistent because if your bottle pressure isn't consistent, neither will your runs be. A remote bottle opener isn't absolutely necessary, but it sure makes life easier with one.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:36 PM
FormerVendor

And a set of spark plugs (NGK TR6s are good). Most kits come with a WOT switch. Another option to that would be a TPS switch. We have those as well, just not up on the site yet. I put the bottle heater on a wet kit as necessary list. It keeps the temperature of the nitrous regulated, and does what XTrooper said above.

Matt