Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stealth nitrous gauges

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stealth nitrous gauges

Does anyone know if there's a way to remove the "Nitrous Pressure" lettering from an Autometer gauge? I have my gauges mounted on the A-pillar because that's really the only place I want them, but I"m trying to make them more low key. It's not to fool racers into thinking I don't have nitrous (it wouldn't), but it's more if I get pulled over by the police, or to discourage theifs who would want to test my system out for me, etc.

Anyways, does autometer make a replacement faceplate, or can you remove it and paint over it... i don't know, has anyone had this problem before?
Old 10-10-2005, 08:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zeus
Does anyone know if there's a way to remove the "Nitrous Pressure" lettering from an Autometer gauge? I have my gauges mounted on the A-pillar because that's really the only place I want them, but I"m trying to make them more low key. It's not to fool racers into thinking I don't have nitrous (it wouldn't), but it's more if I get pulled over by the police, or to discourage theifs who would want to test my system out for me, etc.

Anyways, does autometer make a replacement faceplate, or can you remove it and paint over it... i don't know, has anyone had this problem before?
It will fit in the ashtray with a 90 and sanding the lines off the bottom side of the lid.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:48 AM
TECH Regular

I was aware of this, but I just don't want to mount my nitrous pressure gauge anywhere but the a-pillar. I've thought about the A/C vents, ashtray, TCS panel, etc, but I'd prefer to stay where I am. This is especially true since I don't have a pressure switch on my bottle heater, so I have to constantly monitor my pressure to make sure it's in the correct range.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:04 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Checkout the dynotune gauges.... We sell them without the round guage part so you can mount them anywhere!! All digital, all electricl sending units.

www.DynoTuneNitrous.com

Cheers

Dan
Old 10-11-2005, 07:48 AM
TECH Resident

Glove box when you want to watch to check it just open the glove box. Mounted mine there just for that reason.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:16 AM
12 Second Club

Depending on your skill, I'm sure if you took apart the guage you could re-paint the face of the guage, or you could cut out some paper to put over it.

Might try using a cotton swab and some solvent/paint remover and see if you could rub the writing off. Optionally some really fine grit sandpaper might do the trick. (1000 grit)

I know you said you didn't want to re-locate it, and I don't know if you can modify the camaro vents like I did my Trans Am ones, but here's another option if you do:

I just had to cut off the two retaining clips in the vent bracket, and the vent can be popped in/out with a little tug to make the guage visible when needed.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

The other cool thing about the digital gauges is that when they are off, they just look like a black piece of plastic.
Real stealthy.

Originally Posted by DynotuneN2O
Checkout the dynotune gauges.... We sell them without the round guage part so you can mount them anywhere!! All digital, all electricl sending units.

www.DynoTuneNitrous.com

Cheers

Dan
Old 10-11-2005, 09:36 PM
Teching In

so you sell what just the actual led screen? no bezel?
Old 10-12-2005, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

ya know ive been wanting to do the same thing to my Dynotune round gauges...having N2O plastered in white letters in the face of the gauge kinda sucks if ya get pulled over..lol.
gotta see if theres an easy way of removing it.

love the gauges though...best on the market by far.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by ViperX
so you sell what just the actual led screen? no bezel?
Yes we do, we have many customers that buy the square gauge without the case. Then they can be cut in and mounted anywhere you like.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...&stc=1&thumb=1

Dean
Old 10-12-2005, 11:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by TNTramair
ya know ive been wanting to do the same thing to my Dynotune round gauges...having N2O plastered in white letters in the face of the gauge kinda sucks if ya get pulled over..lol.

Thanks for the good words - They are appreciated! Since we manufacture them in house we can give you a different face plate --- maybe Fuel or Volts or.... Your choice!

Dean
Old 10-12-2005, 12:08 PM
Banned

Default dynotune

dynotune guages rock they have square gauges too
Old 10-12-2005, 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DynotuneN2O
Thanks for the good words - They are appreciated! Since we manufacture them in house we can give you a different face plate --- maybe Fuel or Volts or.... Your choice!

Dean
no, no..thats quite allright Dean...its fine...thanx though. if i stay out of trouble than i wont have to worry about getting pulled over...
Old 11-30-2005, 08:52 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aight.
here is a good one for ya.
nitrous pressure gauge, hidden in the center a/c vent.
close the vent and youll never know its there.
even open, most people cant see it from the passenger seat.
eheh.
Attached Thumbnails Stealth nitrous gauges-mar04-18.jpg  
Old 11-30-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

ya, looks cool. I just ended up leaving my gauges as is though. I've never been a fan of anything in the vents.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TNTramair

Not to hijack the thread, but what is the legality of nitrous in most states? Totally illegal on a street driven car? or do you have to have the bottle disconnected, etc?
Old 11-30-2005, 10:11 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Zeus
ya, looks cool. I just ended up leaving my gauges as is though. I've never been a fan of anything in the vents.
ive never been a fan of the gauges in the firebird vents.

the post is about stealth gauges, and hidden in the vent is about as stealth as it gets.
anybody can open a glovebox or console and look at it.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LoWeLL216
Not to hijack the thread, but what is the legality of nitrous in most states? Totally illegal on a street driven car? or do you have to have the bottle disconnected, etc?
There was a debate about this a while ago on this forum and I think the only conclusive decision was that as long as the line is disconnected from the bottle you're alright.

I would have thought that they can't make nitrous illegal as is just like any other power adder. Turbos and Supers come stock on dozens of cars. Then someone brought up that it's illegal in some places because its a potential cause of explosion in an accident.

Anyways, I'm not worried about a cop writing me a ticket for "Possession of Nitrous", I'm just worried that if I get pulled over and the cop's on the fence about what to do, seeing that I have nitrous on my car is going to tip him in favor of the worse of two evils. I'm even more worried that someone's going to look in my window, see a nitrous gauge and decide to take my car for a little joy ride.

Those were my reasons for wanting to have a more discreet setup.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TJ
ive never been a fan of the gauges in the firebird vents.

the post is about stealth gauges, and hidden in the vent is about as stealth as it gets.
anybody can open a glovebox or console and look at it.
True. For me personally though having something inside my vent would be like having to look at a picture that's hanging crooked all day. It would be this minor bother in the back of my head that just gets annoying after a while. Plus when summer rolls around here, i don't want ANYTHING restricting the precious airflow from the A/C to my face.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:57 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

sissy. hehe.
i understand where you are comming from. when i want a/c it better be cold and blowing my cheeks back.

its not really an eye sore to me, i only open the vent when the bottle is in the car, which is rare on the street. dont really need it much, motor flys as it is.

take it easy.