Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous and hypertech

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous and hypertech

Hey Guys Is It Possible To Run Nitrous When You Are Using A Hypertech Power Programmer In Your Car Or Do You Have To Unistall The Hypertech? Thanks
Old 11-12-2005, 08:58 PM
10 Second Club

Running nitrous with their tune would be a no no. Hypertech tunes are notorious for being way on the lean side and having the timing cranked way up. I believe that you can still use the tranny features and what not without their motor tune right?
Old 11-12-2005, 10:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
Running nitrous with their tune would be a no no. Hypertech tunes are notorious for being way on the lean side and having the timing cranked way up. I believe that you can still use the tranny features and what not without their motor tune right?

Uhh, ive been spraying a 125 shot for almost a year now with Hpp3 and not problems. where did u hear that? You cant change timing with it.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:26 PM
11 Second Club

i think that you guys are talking about 2 different things with HPP3... You can use some of the features from the HPP3 while running nitrous, but you would not want to use the feature for the engine tune. The engine tune program from the programmer will up the timing i think. I have HPP3 on my car and i am spraying with no problems.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:48 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jessedale98
Uhh, ive been spraying a 125 shot for almost a year now with Hpp3 and not problems. where did u hear that? You cant change timing with it.
Search all the boards. There motor tunes have been a ******* joke since day one. No you can't change the timing but when you install the motor tune watch out. All I was advising him to do was not run the motor tune with nitrous. If it works for you that's great.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Most nitrous kits specifically say not to use aftermarket tunes. You definitely can use all the other features of the Hypertech (changing gear ratio, rev limiter, etc), but I wouldn't use their tune. I live in California where we have shitty 91 octane gas and I got a little bit of detonation using the Hypertech tune so I definitely wouldn't trust it with nitrous.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kakura25
Hey Guys Is It Possible To Run Nitrous When You Are Using A Hypertech Power Programmer In Your Car Or Do You Have To Unistall The Hypertech? Thanks
I didn't think the Hyper Tech PP3 changed engine related data. I used mine to set wheel height, rear gear and AT shift...no problems for me. If you chose a programmer that affects timing you may have an issue...uncertain.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

I too have hpp3, but did not choose the "power programming" option during setup. This will change timing and fuel curves at wot which is not good for use with nitrous. During setup before waiting the 15 minutes to program, I set the rev limit, tire size ECT. But did not choose the "power program" option. I tested it at the track also. Without nitrous, the "power programming" slowed the car down by 3 mph at the track. Most likely due to the "power programming" increasing the timing and inducing power robbing knock retard at the track. In a sentence, the hpp3 works for fixing speedo and shift points, but the tuning is not for us at this level of performance.

Quick Reply: Nitrous and hypertech