Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

average PSI of a full 10lb. bottle at room temp?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 06:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default average PSI of a full 10lb. bottle at room temp?

I just got my 10lb bottle filled the other day and had a few questions I was hoping for some help with.

My bottle was 16.45lbs empty and was filled to @27.5 (as measured on dealers scale). Is getting 11 lbs into a 10lb bottle 'normal' when you chill the bottle really well? Are there any safety reasons that say I should only get 10lbs put in it next time? (Not that it matters, but the guy only charged me for 10 lbs)

At room temp, my full bottle PSI is sitting right at 800. Is this about the right PSI for a full bottle? I was wondering because I thought I was supposed to spray at 800 to 900 and while the bottle is at 800 PSI right now, I know it will drop the first time it is used. How much does your bottle pressure rise when you go from a cool house to the back of a car in the summertime heat? (The Dealer warned me about leaving the bottle sitting in the car (full) for a while in our 'Mid-South' heat, and then told me a story about a guy who's bottle blew the burst disk shortly after filling)

I am mostly asking these 'Newbie' questions to try and be safe and not blow any burst discs and lose all the nitrous I just paid for. I am also asking about the pressure to try and help me figure out if the summer heat here will mean that I can possibly get by without a heater for a little while...

Thanks for any tips or input guys, I appreciate all the experts we have around here!
Old 04-26-2006, 07:04 AM
10 Second Club

full bottle in 80* weather (10lbs of n20)= 950-1000 psi for me. room temp= 700-800psi. spray at the reccomended psi for the kit you are running (tnt=900, others can be 950). i personally spray my tnt kit at 950-1000psi though.

also buy a bottle heater, spraying at 800psi won't give you as good of a hit.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here is a link that shows N20pressure vs. temperature.

http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticle...e-heaters.html
Old 04-26-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sleeperstyle
full bottle in 80* weather (10lbs of n20)= 950-1000 psi for me. room temp= 700-800psi. spray at the reccomended psi for the kit you are running (tnt=900, others can be 950). i personally spray my tnt kit at 950-1000psi though.

also buy a bottle heater, spraying at 800psi won't give you as good of a hit.

Thanks a bunch sleeperstyle! That was exactly what I was looking for and more...

I was just wanting to get some advice or tips from guys who had 'been there and done that'... I appreciate all of the time that you guys give up helping us out.

Thank you for the link 860 Performance. That was a wealth of great info about this stuff I asked about... (I swear, I used the search button first!) Thank you 860. I appreciate!
Old 04-27-2006, 05:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

beware newb question ahead...

whats the reason for chilling the bottle prior to getting it filled? temp only effects pressure and the dealer is going to fill 10lbs either way... right?
Old 04-27-2006, 06:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chris.shea
beware newb question ahead...

whats the reason for chilling the bottle prior to getting it filled? temp only effects pressure and the dealer is going to fill 10lbs either way... right?

I think to lower the pressure inside the bottle. The Dealer I bought from said it would make the filling of the bottle faster as well. I had the valve closed when the empty bottle went in the freezer, and when I took it out I cracked the valve open just a little bit and could hear it suck in air. He got 11 lbs in the bottle FWIW.

I had done some touch-up polishing on the bottle last night and had to put it in the tub afterwards to clean the mess that the buffing compund left behind. I used warm water to rinse with and was pretty surprized at how fast the pressure guage went up to 900-950 from the 800 PSI that it was at...
I'm learning, and that is good.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Restricted User

When they fill a bottle, the pumping and pressure builds up heat. As the heat builds up, the pressure increases, as per the pressure chart 860 posted. So, in essence if your bottle gets hot, you cant get a good a fill. I always chill my bottle before filling, and sometimes the pump isnt even required. On accident I know my filler has squeezed in an extra pound of nitrous here or there like on race event nights, not that I recommend that, I dont, but I know he's done it. Also, I normally make sure my bottle is absolutely empty prior to filling. If I have to leave the valve open for excessive amount of time, I let the filler know so he can vacuum pump the bottle, which also makes the filling easier.

Charlie
Old 04-27-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CAT3
When they fill a bottle, the pumping and pressure builds up heat. As the heat builds up, the pressure increases, as per the pressure chart 860 posted. So, in essence if your bottle gets hot, you cant get a good a fill. I always chill my bottle before filling, and sometimes the pump isnt even required. On accident I know my filler has squeezed in an extra pound of nitrous here or there like on race event nights, not that I recommend that, I dont, but I know he's done it. Also, I normally make sure my bottle is absolutely empty prior to filling. If I have to leave the valve open for excessive amount of time, I let the filler know so he can vacuum pump the bottle, which also makes the filling easier.

Charlie
hmm i figured nitrous blows ice cold like c02 and when i used to fill paintball tanks they would freeze up unlike high pressure air which creates tons of heat.

Quick Reply: average PSI of a full 10lb. bottle at room temp?