Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burst disc went off....couple ?s

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 05:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Burst disc went off....couple ?s

So, I left the bottle with a shop who kept it in the freezer overnight since the bottle was hot from being in the car all day. When I took the bottle out of the car I noticed that it was still pretty heavy, I would have estimated about 7 lbs in the bottle still, but figured that since I was already at the shop I would just leave the bottle and have it filled. When I picked the bottle up the guy told me that he got 6 lbs in it. I figured my estimates were off. Although he did mention that he got more than 10lbs in it. Well, I put the bottle back in the car and away I went. Got home, and was in the process of changing the tires out when I hear a hissing noise and look in the car to see the whole thing fogged up with nitrous. The disc blew since the bottle warmed up and the pressure rose. How do the burst disc's work, is it a one time thing then you have to replace them or will it be ok? Do you think that there's anything wrong with the bottle now or will the bottle be fine? Does the burst disc stay open till all the nitrous is out or just till it reaches a certain pressure inside? Sorry for all the questions, just kinda freaked me out a little seing it going off in the car. Now I see the importance of a blow off tube. Although, seeing the nitrous come out from underneath the car wouldn't have made it any better at the time. I'm just glad that I wasn't driving when it happened.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The burst discs are set to around 3000psi (if they are over tightened it will lower the pressure) If you over fill a bottle then it heats up this is usually what happens. The discs are replaceable you have to remove the difuser cap on the side of valve. Its pretty easy to do. The botle will be fine just replace the burst disc.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:14 PM
Restricted User

You know, the funny thing is your lucky it didnt happen driving down the interstate or something....which is why a blowdown tube is always a good safety item to have. Lesson learned hopefully, you can see the fog inside the car, imagine trying to manuever thru traffic while inhaling that cloud...not safe.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CAT3
You know, the funny thing is your lucky it didnt happen driving down the interstate or something....which is why a blowdown tube is always a good safety item to have. Lesson learned hopefully, you can see the fog inside the car, imagine trying to manuever thru traffic while inhaling that cloud...not safe.
if your not quick to the power windows it may white out everything. with manual windows id be freaking out working my way to the shoulder or median.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:00 PM
9 Second Club

Get a new burst disk they are around 9 bucks. Torque the fitting to 15 lbs.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:10 AM
12 Second Club

That's an expensive high too... lol when I was putting the nitrous kit on my old car it was leaking in the spare tire well. Went to tighten the valve on the bottle and gotta little loopy.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:19 AM
TECH Regular

auto n20 has sulfer in it so that might make me sick
Old 06-03-2006, 08:55 AM
TECH Junkie

INSTALL a BLOWDOWN TUBE. Had that burst disk opened up while you were on the highway the oxygen would have been IMMEDIATELY displaced by the nitrous. ONE BREATH and you would have COMPLETELY PASSED OUT. After that you would have either died from the resulting accident or possibly asphyxiation. Remember ONE BREATH is all that it takes, your brain would simply cease to function at the very low oxygen levels. Ive seen it happen....
Old 06-03-2006, 04:00 PM
10 Second Club

Burst disc replaced. Bottle filled again. Thanks everyone for your help. I'm lucky I wasn't driving, that's for sure. Will be looking into blowdown tube for sure.