Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do all you guy and gals keep filling your bottles?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Why do all you guy and gals keep filling your bottles?

You have the turbo guys putting huge rwhp numbers down plus seriously quick ets. Drive like somewhat stock cars. No bottle to fill.
You have the supercharger guys doing the same, maybe a little easier to install same cash outlay same numbers. No bottle to fill.
Then there is all of you. Why do all you people choose to continue to spend hard earned money on filling bottles?
I ask this because I was just about to do the N20 thing but realized that after I fill 7 bottles thats $800. that only 4-5 outings not including steet fun.
So why why why I want to know????

I think that should stir the **** for the night
Old 12-11-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

simple answer.

nitrous is cheaper short term and is easier to setup quickly.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

Damn dude. You're willing to pay $114 for a refill? I get about 20 bottles for $800 which will last me quite a long time. Maybe if you're running two 15lb bottles but thats going to last quite awhile. The guys that go through it like candy are generally pretty serious and have their own refill stations.

Some people want power all the time, some don't. I would be the guy that likes the power when I want it. I drive my car 365 days a year in Colorado...rain, snow, sleet, etc. It just makes it a tad easier not having power all the time. I have really become fond of nitrous but it doesn't mean I won't go another route when I'm done with school. Ie: Having a DD. You're kidding yourself if you think forced induction is cheap...

Last edited by ~RedLineLs1~; 12-11-2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

right now im cammed and my heads will be in sometime this wk,and in a couple of months I will install a nitrous kit.The heads and cam will be my maine source of power and the nitrous will be there just for the track or if I run across a viper on the streets.For me its just that little extra it wont be my maine source of power so I wont be emptying the bottle all that much.I personally would not want it as my maine source of power though I think the heads and cam will be fast enough to beat alot of the cars out there,but just in case if I run across that faster car.,just flip the switch.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

the good thing about n2o is you can turn it off. turbo, or blower, its always on, you floor it, you suck gas. n20, you floor it, you only suck gas if the system is on. plus its easier to tune, imo.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a 10 lb bottle gets me 5-7 runs @ 150 shot. It cost me $28 to fill a bottle. Thats 28.5 bottles and 171 runs for $800. So I want to sell n20 where you live? Oh and I have zero ware on my motor when not spraying.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Teching In

lets say 4 grand for a blower or turbo kit.. average, nothing special, just say 4 grand. take 1 grand for everything you could ask for to install a nitrous kit, bottle heater, fuel pump.. the works and a brand new kit. thats 3 grand left over. 40 bucks per bottle fill and a good 4 runs per bottle, more runs are possible but it depends on how much you're spraying and how many gears/how long..etc.

$3000 difference in price/$40 per bottle= 75 bottles

75bottles*4runs per bottle=300 good runs on the bottle. if you're smart, you only run the power adder at the track, not on the street every chance you get to prove your manhood. maybe make 3-4 passes on the bottle per month if you're conservative. 3-4 passes per month makes 75-100 months. 12 months per year, and some of us dont go to the track during winter months.. equals out to 6.25-8.3 years of nitrous use until it equals the cost of a blower.

thats not including service fees if a head unit goes out.. much easier and cheaper to replace a solenoid... also doesnt include increased gas mileage costs from parasitic drag on a supercharger or extra weight on a complete turbo kit.

thats why i run nitrous. cheaper for at least 5 years, more daily-driver freindly. that a good answer for you?
Old 12-11-2006, 09:16 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 97blkz
a 10 lb bottle gets me 5-7 runs @ 150 shot. It cost me $28 to fill a bottle. Thats 28.5 bottles and 171 runs for $800. So I want to sell n20 where you live? Oh and I have zero ware on my motor when not spraying.
where are you getting N2O for 3.00/#? got a hookup at a dealer or medical supply? it's 4.75/# here at the local speed shops!
Old 12-11-2006, 09:19 PM
Restricted User

Many because the initial cost for setting up a FI car. After all that is the number 1 complaint from FI guys, and most FI Failures are traced back to a skimping of $ to do it right. Tuning is the second major factor, anyone can tune a nitrous car, compared to the intricate tuning requirements for FI...2 or 3 bar map etc...and how many competent FI tuners are there really? One a couple I know of, and I am not referring to someone that can extract a safe AFR and no KR, I'm talking baby-*** smooth idle, fuel economy, and the ability to last under boost!
Old 12-11-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jester1
You have the turbo guys putting huge rwhp numbers down plus seriously quick ets. Drive like somewhat stock cars. No bottle to fill.
You have the supercharger guys doing the same, maybe a little easier to install same cash outlay same numbers. No bottle to fill.
Then there is all of you. Why do all you people choose to continue to spend hard earned money on filling bottles?
I ask this because I was just about to do the N20 thing but realized that after I fill 7 bottles thats $800. that only 4-5 outings not including steet fun.

Why? because we passed math class, and know it would take about 150 races to blow through $800 worth of nitrous.
Then your still only up to about $1800 total investment including a nicely loaded kit. The other 3-$4000 dollars saved over a turbo kit could go into a trans or rear, since you will defenetly need one after 150 races.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:38 PM
10 Second Club

I think this is a great question. To me, hey I was born that way. LOL. Seriously, i'd love to do a turbo car, but that would mean redoing a motor I had specifically built by LME for Nitrous.

Look too, to Drag Racing. There are 6:71 cars running against n20 cars all the time. It's a great race. It naturally filters down to the daily drivers and the bracket racers. Not to mention the club racers like myself.

How easy is it to go up or down in the power you add on a turbo car. Gear or something, i'm not sure. On nitrous car, I can give myself a soft bump 100 shot by turning two sleeves and installing two jets...voila, i'm there. I usually run my hefty shot. Look at Pinks on Speed...they can bring a hefty 2 stage system and negotiate any parts of that...crazy, but you can.

In short, a 125 wet shot is an inexpensive way of adding a some fun...for me it's equiv to the instany rush of throwing back a quick shot of Padron Tequila at a party, except the party is at the track and my rush is throwing 100-200 shot at my Camaro. I like the chemistry that is made of me and N20.

-- Macon
Old 12-11-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Regular

I made a mistake its 10 bottles for $800.
$28 per refill that would make sense but not for $80 a bottle and a 10# min.
How many safe runs can you get if you spray 300-350 per bottle?
600hp H/A motor plus 350 shot to break into the 8's, how economical can that be? You wouldnt be able to drive 1000miles with that combo.

860, the car in the sig is the car I'm building. What did it take to make it go 9:70 @140+mph?

Last edited by jester1; 12-11-2006 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:52 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Don't forget the thousands of dollars to make a turbo fit into the car.
My car has a giant *** front loader scoop, a 1 piece carbon fiber body,
a several thousand dollar paint job, no front opening ect ect.
Trust me, some of us would love to switch to a F-1R, that's the reason I even started coming to this site, but it's just too big of a project.
Plus they don't make a turbo that will work with 16.3-1 compression at 760 inches.

If it was a new project, I would be going Pro-Charger with the new LSX block that comes out in Mar '07 and doing exactly what you suggest. I think that thing is going to be the badest thing I've seen in a long time, 511 inch small block, with a block that strong. Hang on everyone, there is going to be some rockets coming out in the next year.

The fact that some of us have been doing this 20+ years and are way too old to start from scratch doesn't help either.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CAT3
Tuning is the second major factor, anyone can tune a nitrous car
I hope to prove this as true LOL...although I am going beyond just jetting the wet, and getting into tables and setting up Valet mode w/ custom tables and using g/sec with EFI Live Tune yada yada etc...

The obvious answer is we keep filling our bottles because they are empty; or as we scratch on a sounding sheet or write on our welding bottles "MT"

Old 12-11-2006, 10:02 PM
12 Second Club

[QUOTE=jester1]I made a mistake its 10 bottles for $800.
$28 per refill that would make sense but not for $80 a bottle and a 10# min.
How many safe runs can you get if you spray 300-350 per bottle?
600hp H/A motor plus 350 shot to break into the 8's, how economical can that be? You wouldnt be able to drive 1000miles with that combo.
[/QUOTE

where the hell do you live that you have to pay 80 per fill?

and not many people are running 300-350 shots. the ones that do are probly fully build with foreged internals. if so it would probly be very streetable.

many of us pick n2o because of its cost. i am a full-time student who also works full time. at the monent i can't affors FI other than n2o
Old 12-11-2006, 10:18 PM
10 Second Club

get my bottles filled for 20bucks a bottle
Old 12-11-2006, 10:24 PM
12 Second Club

mines 35 to fill. so 800 by 35 is 23 bottles
Old 12-11-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Regular

20 bucks a bottle WTF?????????

Ive said this for years I LIVE IN THE WRONG FUCKEN COUNTRY
Its real $7 and change but that was last year, wait till the summer comes along probably charge $8 per#.
This is the same place that told me $439 was a bargin for get this.. comp engineering j bolt bars!!! It got into a heated argument over that because I told him I drove to the US to buy it. Like I do everything else for my car. I went to summit cost me a little over 200 with exchang, duty, and ohio sales tax. Performance "NOT" improvements. What a **** hole.
Next time Im through north carolina Ill fill a tractor full and bring em back.

Last edited by jester1; 12-11-2006 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssvert99
where are you getting N2O for 3.00/#? got a hookup at a dealer or medical supply? it's 4.75/# here at the local speed shops!
Tampa Florida , Automotive engineering.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just when you think you have all the answers some changes the question. Why not do nitorus.

Here is something that is very interesting. We have a thread going on what's the worlds fastest bone stock long block ls6 with any power adder. This right here will answer your question on why some would go nitrous.

World Record LS6/M12 with any power adder
Robert56 10.8 Dry Nitrous
World Record LS6/Auto with any power adder
mightymike 10.7 Dry Nitrous

Remember this is any power adder, turbo(s), blower, nitrous wet/dry and/or multi.
Watch for a thread I will do on this, with links and more cars that submitted, and plenty of boosted cars submitted, but fell short. Are ya guys starting to feel the Dry.
Robert

Quick Reply: Why do all you guy and gals keep filling your bottles?