Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

dif leak question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dif leak question

hey new and already need some help/advise lol. so i noticed what looked like an exhaust leak when looking under my car the other day and so i asked the shop to have a look when changing my oil. they said its a small dif leak and is about a 2 from a 1 to 5 scale.. now im not sure what needs to be done to fix it or if its something i could do myself or do i need to take it to a shop? how much should i expect to pay to have a shop do it or how much to diy? also, what could i do to prevent from happening again? thanks for any help! oh its a 99 vette..
Old 03-03-2013, 01:18 AM
Teching In

depends where the leaks at on the diff.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SalvageZ28
depends where the leaks at on the diff.
Exactly. Could be a simple yoke seal where the driveshaft meets the axle. Easy fix. Best advice, get under there with some good light and sniff out the location of the leak, identify what's needed and make a game plan on how, when, and where to fix it yourself if you can. I wouldn't trust just anyone to diagnose an issue and just charge me. Bring it over next weekend.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:11 AM
Teching In

i will see if i can find a low profile jack. since the car is lowered its hard to see under. i work weekends but im sure we can work something out.

salvage, was that you at pir friday? very nice and fast vette mang!
Old 03-03-2013, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

^^i have just the jack for that. I'm over by the fair grounds. Yeah, Tim is fast. I thought there'd be crappy traction last night due to the dew point. He's faster than what he was running.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

What I do with my trans am is drive up on a 2x4 and it lifts the car up a little bit to fit the jack under. Or if you are ever in a pinch I have driven up on a curb that is slopped for a driveway and it gives you a little room under the car.

Quick Reply: dif leak question