Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Performance driving school...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Performance driving school...

in the rain and hail is a blast. I had a great time! There is so much to learn that it is information overload until you have done it for 10 laps. I ran it up to about 100mph from turn 9 to entering turn 2. Nothing like hitting a puddle at speed! In the cone session in the morning I killed one of the kids trying to do a hard on the brakes (to activate ABS) and steer to the left. Hit them with the right rear tire. Next time I nailed it. The cone that you weave through got me an atta boy from the instructor. Let me tell you the difference between 25mph and 35mph is extreme when doing this. For you guys that plan on doing the PE would be wise to take this course if you have not done so. Like the Don the instructor said, until you do you just operate a motor vehicle. Afterwards, you drive it! As for the cars there, Viper, Porsche, BMW, VW bug, 03 Cobra, 93 Cobra, and me. Twelve drivers total. All the rain kept the speeds down and the track slick. Now, to sign up for the next phase. I need one hour with an instructor and then I can run by myself.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Sweet! Sounds like you had a hell of a time out there in the elements... I really want to get out there and do that sometime this summer, especially before my car starts down the road of all out drag car.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought about you today. I was in a boring *** meeting thinking Eric's at driving school. Glad you had a good time.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:08 AM
TECH Resident

Very nice!!! Did you get to use both feet on all pedals at the same time??
Old 03-30-2005, 01:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sweet! August 1st is a long, long time to wait for my class...
Old 03-30-2005, 08:33 AM
TECH Addict

Don't worry, all of us "PE" boy have already taken the class except for Mark whose going to before he goes. When I took it, I was at my 1st lapping day the next week, and again the week after ..... and again the week after that .... It's really addicting that's for sure Glad you had a good time and didn't dent anything
Old 03-30-2005, 09:00 AM
10 Second Club

Glad you had fun eric. Yhea rain sucks, hopefully it will be nice this weekend, or at least fi night.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:12 AM
10 Second Club

Sounds like you had a blast Eric. Hopefully when you go back it will be a dry day so you can open the Z up. I can't wait to take that class. But I want to wait until my car is in racing configuration so I get to practice in the car they way I'll be driving it at the PE.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:35 AM
Tech Addict

Learning in those conditions, not anything will be easy. Glad you had fun and learned!
Old 03-30-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

My first two events a few years back had rain. It's a great learning tool. You reach the limit of traction at much lower speeds and are forced to deal with things that you might or might not encounter in the dry. Everyone who wants to road race should get some rain on their car.

Also, if you're holding off running waiting on the perfect combo you should just get out there. Racing is racing. Anything you learn will be transferable. The limits will shift with combination changes, but you learn in huge leaps and bounds in the first couple of events and you'll be more prepared for the fast car if you "grow into it" a little by getting some time under your belt.

It's always possible that you might hate it and not want to go for the road racing mods........ but NOT LIKELY
Old 03-30-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Glad you had fun Eric. I would think the rain would help you respect the car all the more driving it around here where it rains 364 days out of the year.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

5a and 5b in the wet............................no thanks. I almost wadded my stuff up in that set when it was dry.

Glad you had a good time. Maybe if god smiles on me a bit here soon I will have my car put together and we can go down there as a group.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, 5a and b are the hardest to get through smooth. One screw up messes you up for the rest of the run through turn 7. About a 1/2mi total. My favorite turn is 2 of course. The bad thing about 2 is that it leads to 3a (which is okay) and 3b which sucks ***. They need to repave that turn.

Now for some good news. Don was telling everyone that the track owners are looking at a big sum of money to use some of the land for a gravel pit. If it comes through there will be $6m for them to pay off all debts and rebuild the entire place. It sounds like they want racing to come back to the road course like the old Winston West series use to. He seemed pretty upbeat about it.

Quick Reply: Performance driving school...