Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

LS7 GM crate motor part# = 17802397 Available in August>Get in line...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 10:50 PM
Tech Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS7 GM crate motor part# = 17802397 Available in August>Get in line...

I saw this post in the LS7 Section, thought you might like it...

Save 50k on buying a new 06 ZO6 & put one in your car. Guessing it will be $20k.

Here is a link to the thread... LS7 Thread The big question is the cost. Wouldn't it be nice for around 8k?

LS7 GM crate motor part# = 17802397

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most Powerful Small-Block Ever - Available in a Crate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOR RELEASE: 2005-03-22

CONTACTS

Most Powerful Small-Block Ever - Available in a Crate

DETROIT - Chevrolet unveiled the 2006 Corvette Z06 at Detroit's North American International Auto Show in January, and now GM Performance Parts is unveiling the crate engine version of the LS7 engine that powers it. This latest Z06, billed as "the fastest, most powerful car ever offered by Chevrolet and GM," has enthusiasts looking for that kind of power in a crate engine. GM Performance Parts is ready to end that search as it offers the LS7 (P/N 17802397) at GM dealerships and Authorized Centers, nationwide in August.

This small-block V-8 dreams big, displacing big-block cubic inches at 7.0 Liters (427 cubic inches) and big-block power at 500 hp at 6200 rpm. It also benches 475 lb.-ft. of torque at 4800 rpm. Helping to create its high power and high revving capability are details such as cylinder heads with computer numerical control (CNC) intake and exhaust ports and combustion chambers - which creates ports with surgical accuracy for maximum power production. In addition, the intake valves and connecting rods are made out of high-strength lightweight titanium.

The LS7 engines are assembled by hand at GM Powertrain's new Performance Build Center in Wixom, Mich.

Pricing will be announced mid-summer; however, early estimates indicate that the GMPP LS7 crate engine will sell for well below the cost of comparable custom-built aftermarket engines.

Enthusiasts who must have the latest technology, maximum horsepower and the largest production cubic-inch displacement small-block ever built will be able to purchase the LS7, as well as other GM Performance Parts crate engines, blocks, heads and components, from GM dealerships or GMPP Authorized Centers nationwide. Following the release of the LS7 in a crate, GMPP will offer select parts, such as the crankshaft, connecting rods, cylinder heads and valves separately, and in kit form. To locate the closest GM dealership or GMPP Authorized Center or dealership, call 1-800-GM USE US or visit www.goodwrench.com.

General Motors (NYSE: GM), the world's largest vehicle manufacturer, designs, builds, and markets cars and trucks worldwide, and has been the global automotive sales leader since 1931. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com.

LS7 specifications:

Part number: 17802397
Horsepower: 500 (373 kW) @ 6200 rpm
Torque (lb.-ft.): 475 (644 Nm) @ 4800 rpm
Engine type: Cam-in-block 90-degree V-8
Displacement (L/cu in): 7.0 / 427
Bore x stroke (mm/in) 104.8 x 101.6 / 4.125 x 4.00
Block: Cast aluminum with pressed-in cylinder sleeves and 6-bolt, forged steel main bearing caps
Crankshaft: Forged steel
Connecting rods: Forged titanium
Pistons: Cast aluminum
Camshaft type: Hydraulic roller, 15 mm (.591 in) lift (intake and exhaust)
Cylinder heads: CNC-ported aluminum; 70-cc chamber volume
Valve size (mm/in): 56 / 2.20 (titanium) intake / 41 / 1.61 (sodium-filled) exhaust
Compression ratio: 11.0:1
Rocker arms: 1.8:1; offset (intake only)
Recommended fuel: Premium required. 91 octane minimum
Old 03-25-2005, 06:58 AM
10 Second Club

Damn, 11:1 compression with 70cc combustion chambers? I never noticed that it's using 1.8 rocker arms. And those are some BIG-*** valves too. But it will never be $8k Todd. We'd ALL have one at that price......
Old 03-25-2005, 08:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL No kidding! the Rods alone eat up a chunk of that price
Old 03-25-2005, 11:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Considering that THE KING of Corvettes (Dick Guldstrand) has been selling 500 hp versions of the LS6 since '03 @ $20k a pop, my guess is these LS7's will be similarly priced..........or higher.

Click on 500 hp 427hp V8 Engine for the details.

BTW, his shop is less then a 5 minute drive from my current residence.........which will now become a 20 hour drive in about 2 months.

If GM prices them under that, it would be a sign that there truly is a God.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:49 AM
TECH Veteran

I can't get over all the fighting/arguing going on in that other thread.......why do people argue over things that next to NO ONE has any facts on?
Old 03-25-2005, 12:36 PM
Tech Addict

Hopfully they will be less expensive, like 15k or less since they should start pumping them out in some quanity. Time will tell.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:39 PM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I am in line for one....so what's you're point ;>)
Old 03-25-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just have to change out the pistons and slap a super charger on top of it, and it will be good for me
Old 03-25-2005, 01:59 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rottluver
I can't get over all the fighting/arguing going on in that other thread.......why do people argue over things that next to NO ONE has any facts on?
Knowing your past proffession you should know the answer. 80% of the population are total morons.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rokko
Knowing your past proffession you should know the answer. 80% of the population are total morons.
I know but I guess I can seperate the "real world" from the interweb..........I reckon I am not in a large group with that from the looks of things.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No ****... and here I am working in a consumer service department where I get to talk exclusively to that 80% via letter, email, and phone. When people ask me, "So how do you like your job?" I say, "I'd like it better if I had no contact with consumers..."
Old 03-25-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok, how about it has been almost 7 years and I have forgiven/forgotten what complete IDIOTS the general public can be?

Well, more like just stopped caring and I have tried to put my past life/career out of my mind as much as possible, especially with the developments of the last few days, it is just really been grinding on me big time.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:12 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rottluver
Ok, how about it has been almost 7 years and I have forgiven/forgotten what complete IDIOTS the general public can be?

Well, more like just stopped caring and I have tried to put my past life/career out of my mind as much as possible, especially with the developments of the last few days, it is just really been grinding on me big time.
Damn dude, what's been going on?? Hope everythings ok. Ya don't have to post it up if ya don't want to. And I wasn't doggin ya in anyway. Sure sounds like your down in the dumps......
Old 03-25-2005, 06:52 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by John B
I am in line for one....so what's you're point ;>)
Just in case you wanted to be in line and did not know there was going to be a line soon, lol.

If someone finds out the price I am just want to know, prob won't buy one just interested on options when my car needs a new motor.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Damn dude, what's been going on?? Hope everythings ok. Ya don't have to post it up if ya don't want to. And I wasn't doggin ya in anyway. Sure sounds like your down in the dumps......
Naw, it's kewl, just another setback/dish of bad news that has me down a lil. Nothing a nice 1200 mile move up north won't help.

I know ya weren't doggin me, I have pretty thick skin even if I thought u were.

Basically, I injured myself at work (as a cop) in Sept of 1998........never got a definitive diagnosis but the gist is that I ripped a muscle under my shoulder blade and possibly broke the left shoulder blade itself. Almost 7 years later (and me BEGGING the entire tme) I got my new Dr to do an MRI of the shoulder blade.......and what do ya know, there is a 1 centimeter "unknown object" located in the muscle under the left shoulder blade........go figure.

The downside is we won't know till it comes out whether or not it was part of the shoulder blade that broke off or if it is something that was left inside of me during a surgery I had back in 2001............either way, it is rather frustrating as you can imagine.

Anyway........Happy Friday and Easter to everyone.

Last edited by Rottluver; 04-05-2005 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Count me in for one,and good luck Rottluvr from a 11 year veteran and still got time to serve
Sad news for me is I had a heart attack last July and I went back for more stenting in Jan and have to go back the 7th for another one and all this at 35
Worst news in all this is they are going to pull me off the streets and put me in a more mundane job.

Well good luck to ya and hope ya get one of these motors to ease ya in your retirement years
Old 04-05-2005, 06:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sgtjed
Count me in for one,and good luck Rottluvr from a 11 year veteran and still got time to serve
Sad news for me is I had a heart attack last July and I went back for more stenting in Jan and have to go back the 7th for another one and all this at 35
Worst news in all this is they are going to pull me off the streets and put me in a more mundane job.

Well good luck to ya and hope ya get one of these motors to ease ya in your retirement years
Thanks bro & sorry to hear about your troubles.....heart problems at our age are not good. Take care of yourself and make sure to do whatever the idiot Dr's tell you to.

Quick Reply: LS7 GM crate motor part# = 17802397 Available in August>Get in line...