Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

yeah, i get more goodies for my baby!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 01:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default yeah, i get more goodies for my baby!

well, its official. my dad got a second morgage on the house, and is buying my mom out. so me and her are moving to lynnwood, closer to hooters!. she is going to give me a grand to put into my car. i am looking at getting new shocks and struts, headers, a new radiator, and few other little things. now i have a question on the headers, should i get LTs or shorties? i know that LTs are better, but they are more expensive. how much better are LTs? also, elis, how much would a computer reflash be from you? i am not looking at a total retune.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:00 AM
Tech Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you're going to spend the money on headers, get long tubes, unless you really have clearance issues. mac mids are a decent option for that scenario.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Junkie

I liked my Macs on the LT1 car made good power with them. I think if I was doing another Daily driver LT1 car I'd go with the AZ speed and marines, seem like nice pieces. If I wasn't going to lower it I'd do long tubes....actually Kooks makes LT's for LT1's so I'd probably go with those.

I don't know if you can buy all that for a grand though I think with a grand I'd do some Bilstiens and a converter with a tranny cooler. You will not get another "bolt on" mod that will give you SOT then a converter. I put the headers on it was better than an air intake but no big deal. The converter felt like the Heads and cam did!!!
Old 11-17-2005, 01:32 PM
TECH Veteran

I am with Wicked, I put LT's and true dual exhaust on my LS1 and while I could feel a diff, it wasn't some mind blowing deal (I think I really need a cam to feel the true potential). For a grand, I would go with suspension and maybe a converter (not an A4 guy so I am kinda clueless about those). Dunno what stuff for LT1's cost, but a set of LTs for an LS1 is close to a grand right there.........I got my shocks & springs for just under $600 new (SLP Eibachs & SLP Bilsteins).
Old 11-17-2005, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

well, if i get headers i will probably get shorties cause i wanna lower my car. how are the coated pacesetter mids? also, i think i have enough to get those, my new rad, shocks and struts (kyb gr-2s), and a converter. whats a good low buck converter? also, if i don't get a converter i am deffinetly going to get one in the spring when i get a cam. i am also ganna get a new opti and water pump when i get the cam cause it would be stupid to put the old stuff on and then have to take it all off to replace it.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

one more thing, how are the b&m torque master converters. i am looking at doing some mild stuff to my car, and i want to still have good gas mileage. plus i don't want to be drop loads of cash into my car.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:33 PM
TECH Junkie

I would stick with MACs they are proven, yes LT's are better but Macs are the only Mids I'd put on other then RK or AZ&M.

Don't go too cheap on the converter. I had a neal racing one that ended up being a piece the vig I put in was a world different. Seems like alot of guys are running Fuddle converters which are pretty cheap. Don't know about the B&M stuff there products have never impressed me.

$400 for Mac headers
$450 fuddle converter
$100 for a used radiator
$320 for Bilstiens

Add a alignment do to the work yourself, your looking at 1300 bucks and the car would REALLY light up, be able to play with LS1's in the 1/8th with no problem

After that a hotcam kit for $400 and some tuning at 250-300 and you have a quick car.......although if I could do it all over again on my LT1 car that started as an auto. I'd just do a Vortech Supercharger, and a six speed conversion. Or for a drag race car a nice converter. Of course you have to save for breakage in that scenerio!
Old 11-17-2005, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

I think you may be stretching your realistic mods for under $1k. I would go long tubes no doubt. I have never scraped my headers on anything even though I am stock ride height. I have Pacesetter coated headers. They have great fit and are really cheap, I think just above $400 shipped for the coated version. The LTs gave my car probably 30rwhp and was a big sotp improvement. When I dyno'd I pretty much had headers and intake and just a bunch of little things and I got 294hp/326tq. Probably 40rwhp over stock.. If I were to do it over again I might spend the dough on Kooks though. One you get headers (~$400), stall (~$700?), radiator ($300+), shocks ($300+), who is going to install them all for you? Hopefully yourself because if not you are looking at well over $2k. If I were you, I would focus on doing a few things the right way instead of doing everything at once. I would talk to Ellis and have him pick out a few things to do and have him install it so you are making sure you have reliable mods. I would go with the stall and have Ellis put it in for you. I think that's about all you can do for $1k though.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

thanks a lot for th input. i think that i will hold off on the converter till this spring, when i hope to get a cam. for now i will probebly do the headers, radiator (which i have found new for $126), shocks, lt4 k/m and a retune. also, are mac headers better then pacesetter? and do the macs come coated?
Old 11-18-2005, 03:23 PM
TECH Veteran

LT1-stoopid here....what is an LT4 k/m?
I know the LT4 is like the LS6 compared to the LS1....but the k/m part?
Old 11-18-2005, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

LT4 knock module. It is supposed to sense less knock/eliminate false knock. Plugs into the PCM under the cover plate in place of the LT1 KM.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Poik
LT4 knock module. It is supposed to sense less knock/eliminate false knock. Plugs into the PCM under the cover plate in place of the LT1 KM.
Aaah thanks for clearing that up sir.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:03 AM
FormerVendor

I wouldn't screw around, if you are willing to go thru the trouble of installing a set of headers. Install the long tubes. None of the designs I have seen be they hookers, JET hot, or Pacesetter brands has any clearance issues with a slightly lowered car. Shorties to me are not worth the trouble for the feeble gains that I have seen on my chassis dyno. Not to mention with shorties the plugs are still a royal pain in the *** to change as well as having fried plug wires.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:57 AM
10 Second Club

Definitely long tubes! And shoot Yank, TCI & FUddle an email & they will give you ideas about which stall to run. It IS the most impressive bolt-on you can do. Made more difference to my car at the track than any other mod (cam, headers, intake, etc).

Mark
Old 11-19-2005, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

wahusker, how long do you think i show put off my shocks and struts? with $1k i can get pasesetter lt's, my now radiator, a pacesetter y-pipe, and a set of gas-a-just front shocks and gr2 for the rear. are they anygood, or should i wait to get the agx? the reason i am looking at a replacement is my shocks are the origianals.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:41 PM
10 Second Club

Hmmm, the problem is you need ALL of it IMO. Shocks would be a priority for me, since yours are 10 years old. That should leave you enough for headers & a y-pipe. Not sure on a radiator....depends on what you want. Ellis & I paid ~$800 for ours, Bill & Boyce's cost $1200. And if you replace that, then you should think about the water pump too if it's stock, and then the Opti Spark is right there so.....now you're at another $1k+.

Sorry, I'm not helping, am I?
Old 11-20-2005, 01:27 PM
TECH Junkie

LOL you guys forget what its like to be 18 and have no money Being 32 and having no money is MUCH MUCH different. Me running low is having only a few hundred in the checking account and getting pissed that my investments are returning me under 6%!!!!

Thats the only reason I suggested MACs you could probaby get them used for about 250 on camaroz28.com. They are coated although not ceremic I had mine for 4 years and the coating held up well.

AM I argueing that Longtubes are not the way to go...no I'm just thinking 400 used vs 250 used. A stock radiator is a fine replacement. Converter I would not scimp on but alot of guys are happy with there Fuddles and they are in the 400 range I think vs the 700 vigillante. On the shocks I'd go Bilstiens over the others, you can get them for 329 shipped.

I'm just trying to think most BANG For buck for a 1000. IMHO it would be

Radiator (needs it) 125
Fuddle converter 2800 stall or so 450
Shocks 330
Tranny cooler 50
Used headers 250-300

That is a cheap way to TOTALLY change the car you will really feel it. Now would I do that, probably not. But if I had an LT1 car I could dump 4k into a shortblock and 2k into a used supercharger, and another grand into some kooks....I have THOUGHT about it I would also replace the opti and the WP with an electric one put a new sensors in etc etc but those things are not necessary.

One thing I did like on my LT1 car was the MSD digital six. It really did help things but I had trouble tuning my 93 so that might have had something to do with it.

Bobby
Old 11-20-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Sorry Jew, I'm assuming your young.. Although my mom still buys me **** all the time...in fact she is the one who paid for my tranny and Vig on my 93 and the Kooks on my WS6.

She is resisting buying me anything for the vette. Funny since she has a 2K mile 2003 anniversary C5 Vert

Quick Reply: yeah, i get more goodies for my baby!