Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

WA residents - proposed tax on engine displacement.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WA residents - proposed tax on engine displacement.

The latest attempt by our so-called leadership to get in your wallet. Start writing those letters...

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/bil...Bills/6900.pdf
Old 02-11-2008, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

Holy Doller signs batman....

Thats alot of money to be putting out there, Glad my dodge is the only one registered here. But that is still 275 plus the tags...
Old 02-11-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you kidding me?
I have two big Block Vehicles!
If only my wife would have moved when I got out of the Navy.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
The latest attempt by our so-called leadership to get in your wallet. Start writing those letters...

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/bil...Bills/6900.pdf
While this bill was introduced in the 2008 session, it probably will not meet the deadline to be has to passed out of commitee by Februay 12th or it is is dead - for this sesson.

Watch the bill history to see if it progresses. As of now, It looks dead.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NWDragRacer
While this bill was introduced in the 2008 session, it probably will not meet the deadline to be has to passed out of commitee by Februay 12th or it is is dead - for this sesson.

I will give you a big kiss if you are right!
Old 02-12-2008, 12:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

This would apply to new vehicles, I think. Otherwise, it implies emissions testing for all vehicles, regardless of year. The bill links displacement with emissions.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NWDragRacer

Good point. Hope you're right. Still, it seems like every year they try some new kind of funny business to try and get that damn car tabs revenue back. I wish they'd put as much energy into actually becoming more efficient...

This one in particular really irked me since its so blatant.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:47 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by esoteric
This would apply to new vehicles, I think. Otherwise, it implies emissions testing for all vehicles, regardless of year. The bill links displacement with emissions.
Which is funny, because right off the top of my head I can name a 1.6L motor that pollutes far more than my 5.7L does.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So in essence the GOVERNMENT is making us say "we don't want muscle cars, we want econo boxes" by trying to charge us out of house and home for our preference in a car?!?

The government wants to make it impossible for us to afford anything we want so they can force the manufacturers to make what THEY want them to.

WOW

Old 02-12-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by esoteric
I didnt see where it said that. It does say for vehicles restered on or after January 1 2009 which leaves me to believe it applies to any vehicle being registered. Also the way i read it they want to go by displacement till 2012 and then at that point want to go off of carbon emmissions figured by mileage.
Either way it isnt good. After figuring all my currently registered cars I will be at almost a grand per year.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by turbo50
I didnt see where it said that. It does say for vehicles restered on or after January 1 2009 which leaves me to believe it applies to any vehicle being registered. Also the way i read it they want to go by displacement till 2012 and then at that point want to go off of carbon emmissions figured by mileage.
Either way it isnt good. After figuring all my currently registered cars I will be at almost a grand per year.
Here's another bill in the senate.

SENATE BILL 6923
Read first time 02/06/08. Referred to Committee on Transportation.

AN ACT Relating to a passenger vehicle greenhouse gas excise tax; adding a new section to chapter 82.44 RCW; and creating a new section.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:

NEW SECTION.

Sec. 1. The legislature acknowledges the scientific consensus that global warming from greenhouse gases threatens Washington state's economy and environment. The legislature further recognizes that it is incumbent on the people of Washington state to take measures to reduce the state's contribution to global warming pollution. Emissions from road transportation account for approximately one-third of Washington state's global warming pollution, and the transportation sector is Washington state's largest contributor of greenhouse gas emissions. Encouraging the use of fuel-efficient
vehicles and providing transportation alternatives are important strategies for reducing fuel use and associated greenhouse gas emissions.

The legislature finds that a greenhouse gas tax is an excise tax on sources that contribute to global warming. The legislature finds that the global warming costs associated with automobile emissions are not
included in the existing costs of using a vehicle. Additionally, the SB 692 legislature finds more alternatives to single-occupancy vehicle travel are needed to significantly reduce automobile vehicle miles traveled.

The legislature finds that a greenhouse gas tax is an effective way to embed some of the global warming costs of automobile emissions into the cost of using a vehicle, and at the same time provides resources to fund transportation alternatives.

The legislature finds that an exact measure of a vehicle's greenhouse gas emissions, though preferred, is not administratively
feasible at this time. The environmental protection agency fuel economy rating is the best available measure of a vehicle's greenhouse gas emissions given current technology and data collection practices.

The legislature finds that there is a sufficient relationship between a vehicle's fuel economy and its greenhouse gas emissions to provide a rational basis for determining the vehicle green house gas emissions tax. The legislature assumes that passenger vehicles travel the national average of twelve thousand miles per year and sets the price of greenhouse gas emissions at twenty dollars per ton of carbon dioxide.

Therefore, the legislature finds imposing a vehicle greenhouse gas emissions tax is a vital part of the state's strategy to reducing global warming.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 2. A new section is added to chapter 82.44 RCW to read as follows:
(1) The department of licensing must annually collect a vehicle excise tax on greenhouse gas emissions in accordance with the schedules contained in subsection (4) of this section. The annual vehicle greenhouse gas emissions excise tax will be collected on all motor vehicles licensed under the passenger use class, as specified in chapter 308-96A WAC.
(2) The state treasurer must distribute revenues on a monthly basis, less administrative fees not to exceed one percent of fees collected, according to the following formula:
(a) Twenty-five percent to the Washington state department of transportation; and
(b) Seventy-five percent to cities and counties based on a pro-rated share of registered passenger vehicles in incorporated and unincorporated areas.

SB 6923 p. 2
(3) The proceeds of this tax must be used for the design, construction, and operations of transportation facilities and services
that provide alternatives to the use of single-occupant vehicles and for programs that encourage the use of these facilities and services.

The allowable uses of these revenues include but are not limited to transit, high-capacity transportation, bicycle and pedestrian facilities, and transportation demand management programs.
(4) The tax schedule for the vehicle greenhouse gas emissions excise tax is as follows:
(a) For the purpose of this section, "EPA fuel economy rating" means the estimated, combined (fifty-five percent city and forty-five percent highway) fuel economy rating for vehicles, as reported in the United States environmental protection agency and United States department of energy "fuel economy guide" since the 1978 model year.
(b) Passenger vehicles that have an established EPA fuel economy rating must be taxed according to the EPA fuel economy rating as follows:

EPA Fuel Economy Rating
(Miles Per Gallon)
Tax Tons CO2
(12,000 Vehicle Miles Traveled)
10 or fewer MPG $240
11 MPG $220
12 MPG $200
13-14 MPG $180
15-16 MPG $160
17-18 MPG $140
19-21 MPG $120
22-26 MPG $100
27-34 MPG $80
35-48 MPG $60
49+ MPG $40
(c) Passenger vehicles that do not have an established EPA fuel economy rating must be taxed according to their engine displacement
size as follows:

p. 3 SB 6923

Engine Displacement/Size
(Liters)
Tax
4.0 L or more $240
3.0 L to less than 4.0 L $180
1.5 L to less than 3.0 L $120
Less than 1.5 L $80
--- END ---
SB 6923 p. 4
Old 02-12-2008, 04:24 PM
10 Second Club

As far as I can tell, both these bills are DOA. Neither one has been scheduled for Transportation committee hearings today. If they don't pass out of committee today, then they are dead until next year, when they will be automatically be reintroduced.

Transportation Committee Agenda for today.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks Don for that one.

To bad WCCC is dead.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

they attack one way, then the other.... it will never cease.
who wrote it? (D? R? bet I could guess!)... either way, we need them out of office, and they need to be told why... in no uncertain terms.

If something like that ever passes, I'll work very hard to leave this state fast.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

also, isn't that double jeopardy? we're already taxed on displacement.... more cubes burns more fuel anyways, and we already pay tax every time we fill up.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

One word...

REJECT

As if you're muting the TV before that LOUD *** commercial comes on....

Those bastards
Old 02-12-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by turbo50
I don't know EJ, any vehicle registered means new cars or cars being brought into this state or any car changing hands. If you own your car, it is already registered...

How are they quantifying carbon emssions by mileage? Are they using manufacturers mileage claims..??
Old 02-12-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

The question is...

How does any tax increase based on what vehicle WA drivers own benefit YOU?

The answer is clearly: No benefit at all.

It only adds to the self sustaining, tax collecting machine... the same machine that 3 recounts later awarded governorship to Christine Gregoire.

Sigh.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Here's a link to informative thread on this subject over at Corvette Forum

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1936567SB 6900
Old 02-14-2008, 11:16 AM
10 Second Club

DEAD for 2008!

Quick Reply: WA residents - proposed tax on engine displacement.