Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Took the Z to Turbo Tech

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 02:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Took the Z to Turbo Tech

So yesterday morning I took the Z down to Turbo Tech for a dyno. One of my buddies has be arguing with me that my car will be slower if I do true duals, so I'm doing a before and after to finally settle it once and for all. All I can say is i have mixed feelings on the results. So they start setting up for the dyno, and let me say Turbo Tech did an amazing job setting up to make sure nothing could go wrong, Kudos to Turbo Tech on a great job! Anyways back to the story, they start the first pull, and everything seems just fine. He lets off at about 5.6k rpms and as I have my eyes plastered to the computer I see 316.01 Max Power and a 325.96 Max Torque. I was ok with these numbers, I wanted anything over 315 and I was gonna be happy. BUT the guy who did the pull shows me the graph and points out how after 5.4k my pull takes like a 40hp/40ft lbs drop and looks like a bunch of scribble on the paper. He asks about the tune and I told him I had a diablo tune on it. He suggests I return the stock tune and do another run, so I figured why not its only 10 bucks for an addition run. So I returned the car to stock with my tuner and we did another pull......and here is where I got pissed, 318.99 Max Power and 329.01 Max Torque! I wasted 400 dollars on a ****ing tuner that was hurting my power!

So the guy starts suggesting its the spark plugs for the after 5.4k rpm fiasco that didnt go away from returning to stock. He ever went and asked the others and they said the same thing, so I guess I need to change my spark plugs, no biggie thats fine. I ordered one blancos relo kits since I remove the coil packs for spark plugs anyways. But what pisses me off is the tuner issue, I mean, wtf? The biggest rip off of I've ever purchased for a car. They put both runs on the same sheet to compare, and the performance tune is never higher at any point (other than the after 5.4k rpm issue) than the stock tune.

What do you guys think about this whole thing?
Old 03-22-2008, 02:45 PM
12 Second Club

I have never heard anything good about handheld tuners really.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Regular

Swap the plugs and then give it a before and after again. Might have been seeing some KR with the more agressive tune.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:57 PM
9 Second Club

Maybe I will be able to get 2 runs in at the dyno day next month, I guess I'll give that a shot, I'm gonna try to upload the dyno sheet later.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:09 PM
9 Second Club

red line is stock tune, blue line is predator tune
Old 03-22-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this is why i have never suggested a hand-held tuner for an LS1 car
Old 03-22-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And your buddy is retarded for thinking TD's will hurt power...hopefully you get the upper rpm figured out, you still have power left there once you get it figured out.

Marty
Old 03-22-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

2hp difference? I don't think you did enough runs to really see if there was any difference between the tunes. I picked up 10hp from my first run to my third run.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:10 PM
9 Second Club

yeah I'm hoping to be closer to 325-330 after i get the problem fixxed and swap to true duals
Old 03-22-2008, 04:13 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Poik
2hp difference? I don't think you did enough runs to really see if there was any difference between the tunes. I picked up 10hp from my first run to my third run.
well at this point I'm hoping Ryan is right about his post and it will show some gains once the issue is resolved
Old 03-22-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a diablo originally, then I met Ellis and sold the diablo shortly thereafter. Canned tunes are for fools who don't know any better. I'm a rehabilitated fool.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Never used a handheld and likely never will. I've never seen them deliver what they promise. TTI definately does good work.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:52 PM
10 Second Club

Could be the plugs. The Predator adds timing & leans it out, which is generally a good thing for these engines. So any KR would get magnified by that tune. I think I gained 15-20 with my Predator, but try plugs & see.

But let me ask, do you have any lifter noise? Or misfiring? In the past some people saw stuff like that when a push rod was bent or a spring was weak. Something to keep in mind....
Old 03-22-2008, 08:58 PM
9 Second Club

I will keep that in mind, a bent pushrod or weak spring would suck, car would have to sit for awhile if it did. I doubt this is the case though, everything sounds fine.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I dynoed my old formula, we did 3 pulls pretty much back to back. Each pull, the car picked up a few, getting the most on the 3rd pull. The guys at the dyno shop usually saw the best numbers on the 3rd pull, and thought there wasn't a need for a 4th pull.

With that said, I'd still think you'd get more with the predator.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:13 PM
11 Second Club

I put down 319hp and 325tq, with my td's and bolt ons.. But I was also stalled witch probibly killed some power. You are also an M6 so you will probibly put a little more out than me too. Those numbers are not that bad. And you are still running the stock LS1 Intake right? Put a LS6 on there, and you will probibly be in the low 330's hp wise.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:00 AM
9 Second Club

yeah im still running a stock intake, probably gonna go with 90mm intake and TB when the time comes
Old 03-23-2008, 04:27 AM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's where you have to be very careful when trying to use a dyno as a tool and when you have to know what is significant and what is not significant!

I have thrashed 3 different LSx motors on a chassis dyno with a combined number of runs equaling in the neighborhood of 250 runs. My analysis of data has shown:
- I need a minimum of 3 runs to establish a baseline because the power level typically goes up with each of the 1st 3 runs
- "Typically", run #3 will be my highest run...I don't know if this is because there is carbon in the combustion chambers that needs to be blown out or why but this is virtually the case 99% of the time
- Runs that are within 1% of each other are not statisically significant (as noted in the DynoJet Documentation) so therefore it is difficult to assign true root cause for the variation other than "that's just the way it is!".
- At times, when I re-flash the computer with the "same" program I can see a 10HP variation due to the A/F mixture changing while nothing was changed in the programming....in other words there is some kind of funky "learning" going on with the ECM simply due to the re-flash.

Based on this, I wouldn't be too quick to assign fault or blame on your hand held. I would be more concerned about your high RPM power drop off which appears to be either high mileage on your spark plugs, bad plug wires, a loose wire or a combination of all of these.

Just my .02!
Old 03-23-2008, 01:53 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks for all of the info guys, it will have new plugs and plug wires by turbo techs dyno day in april. Hopefully I will see some of you guys there and my high rpm issue will be gone.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:10 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JCCamaro
So yesterday morning I took the Z down to Turbo Tech for a dyno. One of my buddies has be arguing with me that my car will be slower if I do true duals, so I'm doing a before and after to finally settle it once and for all. All I can say is i have mixed feelings on the results. So they start setting up for the dyno, and let me say Turbo Tech did an amazing job setting up to make sure nothing could go wrong, Kudos to Turbo Tech on a great job! Anyways back to the story, they start the first pull, and everything seems just fine. He lets off at about 5.6k rpms and as I have my eyes plastered to the computer I see 316.01 Max Power and a 325.96 Max Torque. I was ok with these numbers, I wanted anything over 315 and I was gonna be happy. BUT the guy who did the pull shows me the graph and points out how after 5.4k my pull takes like a 40hp/40ft lbs drop and looks like a bunch of scribble on the paper. He asks about the tune and I told him I had a diablo tune on it. He suggests I return the stock tune and do another run, so I figured why not its only 10 bucks for an addition run. So I returned the car to stock with my tuner and we did another pull......and here is where I got pissed, 318.99 Max Power and 329.01 Max Torque! I wasted 400 dollars on a ****ing tuner that was hurting my power!

So the guy starts suggesting its the spark plugs for the after 5.4k rpm fiasco that didnt go away from returning to stock. He ever went and asked the others and they said the same thing, so I guess I need to change my spark plugs, no biggie thats fine. I ordered one blancos relo kits since I remove the coil packs for spark plugs anyways. But what pisses me off is the tuner issue, I mean, wtf? The biggest rip off of I've ever purchased for a car. They put both runs on the same sheet to compare, and the performance tune is never higher at any point (other than the after 5.4k rpm issue) than the stock tune.

What do you guys think about this whole thing?
Thanks for comming. Don't be to hard on the programer. Having the hp tuners stuff here we are able to download the programmer tune and compare it with the stock tune and see what changes has been done. Most the time the high end timing is advanced and a little fuel added. If the plugs/wires/ignition isn't up to the task you will see a power loss or misfire. IMO no need to keep running the car until the problem was figured out. If you get the plugs/wires installed soon bring it by and we'll run it again no charge

Quick Reply: Took the Z to Turbo Tech