Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Engine Builders

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 09:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Builders

Looking for a good engine builder in Portland.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

check with TJ Wong
Old 09-24-2008, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

Tabor's Automotive Machine in Vancouver, WA.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

2nd the Tom Wong.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:24 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

TJwong is not an engine builder.

What are you looking to have done? I offer engines but do no use a local builder. I'll pm you as well.
We recently delivered a 408 to a local customer in Newberg if your looking for a local reference.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:25 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BTTM
What do you need done and what are you working on? If its old school small of big block stuff take it to Tabors, he does good work and is very reasonable. If its LSx work PM me and I will give you a recommendation.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BTTM
Somers Racing in Vancouver is doing LS engine work now. They are not in Portland but worth the drive and I'd highly recomend them. They do cylinder head flow testing for my port work.

Mike
Old 09-26-2008, 06:13 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the suggestions. Got your pm 99blancoSS and I've responded.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:26 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
TJwong is not an engine builder.

What are you looking to have done? I offer engines but do no use a local builder. I'll pm you as well.
We recently delivered a 408 to a local customer in Newberg if your looking for a local reference.
No I am NOT an engine builder but I know two here in Portland that are MORE THAN QUALIFIED to build the LSx engine. Not to mention that these are local people that has been in business for MANY MANY years and if there is a problem with the engine its resolved here without having to deal with someone out of our area which usually entails removing your engine crating it up and sending it back to where it comes from which usually ends up costing you big $$$ in todays world. Case in point, I have a LS7 coming in that is going to be removed for excessive oil consumption. It came from Houston Tx and I won't mention any names here. But I can tell you that after weeks of phone calls about this, there wasn't a resolution. Now the SOLUTION is going to be that its going to cost the customer $$$$ to R&R the engine, and $$$ to have it taken apart and fixed here locally. And don't give me any crap that just because a machinist went to SAM or some other high zoot school, that it means he is qualified. Any joker with $$$ can go to that or any other school. Same thing with engineers in my field, just because he is a PE doesn't necessarily mean he is a good engineer, it means he is good at passing tests.......PE Professional Idiot with an E........Ya, I am having a bad day.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Banned

Interesting rant considering we both know who you use in Houston for your engines and it's not my builder.
Yes your right not everyone who went through SAM is a good builder. That's why I went to the instructor to find out whats what and whos who. You can lead a horse to water but cant make them drink it. Sorry for your bad day but it is not a reflection of HKE or my engines at all.
Its not like I haven't seen some issues with local built engines at your shop either so dont go off on that road. You went with who you did for the price and could not get it for the same price local. I sat there with you on the phone when you called around for me 2 yrs ago. I tried to tell you a few things recently but you were happy with what you were getting and not willing to listen so that was that. Again sorry for your bad day but dont think for one minute its a reflection on who builds my engines. It's purely your builder only.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

I've used Tabors for all my engine machine work. They are good people and good pricing. Wong has been around for awhile and can help guide you in the correct direction.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:01 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Interesting rant considering we both know who you use in Houston for your engines and it's not my builder.
Yes your right not everyone who went through SAM is a good builder. That's why I went to the instructor to find out whats what and whos who. You can lead a horse to water but cant make them drink it. Sorry for your bad day but it is not a reflection of HKE or my engines at all.
Its not like I haven't seen some issues with local built engines at your shop either so dont go off on that road. You went with who you did for the price and could not get it for the same price local. I sat there with you on the phone when you called around for me 2 yrs ago. I tried to tell you a few things recently but you were happy with what you were getting and not willing to listen so that was that. Again sorry for your bad day but dont think for one minute its a reflection on who builds my engines. It's purely your builder only.
I wasn't refering to Eric at all, in fact he is going to build a C5R block for me in the near future when I do a TTIx kit for my new Z. The builder I am refering to was not a choice made by me, it was the owners choice. I use the local guys here which costs more in the long run because the are not a production type machine shop, and I have never had an issue with any of the ones done here in town. So which one are you refering to that went south that was built here locally? And besides I am not saying that any of them are bad in particular the point being is that if its done locally its taken care of locally. Read your warranty, does it state that if there is a problem it can be taken care of here locally and when I mean locally can the owner take it to a reputable shop, have it repaired and that YOU the supplier or your builder will pay the bill? That is also known as a nationwide warranty, that many large shops will extend to customers. GM can afford it, so if you buy a GM crate engine, install it, and if it goes south you can take it to ANY GM shop to be repaired.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:20 PM
TECH Regular

I also have another question for blanco........

Does your car run? The only "local built" engine that I have seen Wong have trouble with is yours. Admittedly I'm not at his shop or hang around with him 24/7, but this is just from my experiences.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tjwong
I wasn't refering to Eric at all, in fact he is going to build a C5R block for me in the near future when I do a TTIx kit for my new Z. The builder I am refering to was not a choice made by me, it was the owners choice. I use the local guys here which costs more in the long run because the are not a production type machine shop, and I have never had an issue with any of the ones done here in town. So which one are you refering to that went south that was built here locally? And besides I am not saying that any of them are bad in particular the point being is that if its done locally its taken care of locally. Read your warranty, does it state that if there is a problem it can be taken care of here locally and when I mean locally can the owner take it to a reputable shop, have it repaired and that YOU the supplier or your builder will pay the bill? That is also known as a nationwide warranty, that many large shops will extend to customers. GM can afford it, so if you buy a GM crate engine, install it, and if it goes south you can take it to ANY GM shop to be repaired.
No problem Tom, it seemed like you were venting towards me or my business so you can understand my response. I can't have anyone thinking you were talking about my stuff. Once again I am sorry for your bad day.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rockin C Racing
I also have another question for blanco........

Does your car run? The only "local built" engine that I have seen Wong have trouble with is yours. Admittedly I'm not at his shop or hang around with him 24/7, but this is just from my experiences.

Interesting. I sold my engine and have another one in the works.

Tom never had trouble with my engine he did nothing with it except tune it so I'm not sure what smoke your blowing there but your mis-informed. I had a short block built and put a few different top ends on it and Tom tuned them all. I then sold the engine.

So as far as trouble and a car not running your way off and severely mis-informed. My car was ruining fine, best numbers it ever put down before I sold the engine out of it.

Quick Reply: Engine Builders