Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

molding a fiberglass cowl on steel hood ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default molding a fiberglass cowl on steel hood ??

Hi ! I just bought a 4 inch cowl hood scoop made of fiberglass and i want to mold it to my original cutlass supreme steel hood. some peoples tells me it will crack and some tells me it can be possible using the right epoxy to bond it on and after finishing it with filler. this is a winter project so I can take the time to do it right. I would like to know if someone has done this before if it was succesful. thanks a lot and scuse my english, i'm from quebec in canada and I usually speak french !!
Old 09-15-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

I've done it. Check out my fquick page. Link in my sig
Old 09-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

it looks great !! so did you only used fiberglass do bond and mold it on ??? what products did you used ??
Old 09-15-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

I just used the bondo that has the fiberglass hairs in it i think. i'll try to remember what its called. i just made sure it had plenty to bond to. i fiberglassed it to the top of the hood and under the hood to help it hold better. the car shakes pretty good and no cracks or anything yet. fingers crossed, but its been done for over a year now i think
Old 09-15-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done it too, I used screws to hold the cowel in place, fiberglassed over, & used body filler to finnish it off. Held up now for 5+ years.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

thanks guys, a lot of people says that fiberglass and steel contracts at different rates with heat so that's why it cracks. would an epoxy be great to bond it on and after finishing it with filler or just fiberglass would be ok ?? thanks a lot for your informations !
Old 09-15-2009, 02:57 PM
FormerVendor

For the strongest bond, we recommend the use of a panel adhesive to glue the hood into place - you're local paint supply shop should offer some products, or you can find these online.
These are very strong adhesives and will eliminate any possibility of separation issues between the fiberglass and steel - which can happen - both because of the vibration of the steel and the expansion/contraction rate between the two.
This will also give you a nice clean finish.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:46 AM
Staging Lane

ok, after bonding it into place with the panel adhesive, can i finish it with filler like normal ??? thanks.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

i'd still fiberglass it to the hood depending on how big of a gap between the scoop and the hood you're trying to fill. don't wanna lay on a thick layer of bondo if you don't have to

Quick Reply: molding a fiberglass cowl on steel hood ??