Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How many repaints before peeling?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many repaints before peeling?

Ok I have a 1998 z28 and I have a guy doing a complete color change for me. The car is going from yellow to black but the problem is the guy is taking entirely too long. After a month he finally got paint on the car but I could still see yellow in several places so he was supposed to redo it. And know he's haveing any more problems so I'm fed up. The car was oringinaly black and was painted yellow and now the guy painted black for me. So my question is if I get my car back and sand down his paint job can I go over it with black again without the paint starting to peel? Thanks in advance for the advice
Old 01-31-2013, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

thats a loaded question, lol. many things can cause peeling, but mainly how well it was prepped, or should a say how bad it was prepped. i personally dont like any more then 4 or 5 repaints. the problem is the paint starts to look wavy instead of nice and slick. black is no help either in that part of it. i would use a block for sure instead of a DA. also if the paint gets to thick you can see spider webbing or the paint start to crack. there are just to many factors that come in to play for a strait answer. bottom line is if everything was prepped right the entire time you should be fine for it not peeling.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

Haha yea it really is a long question. So if I plane on painting it a single stage got rod black so would I need to seal it or could I just go right the paint that's already on it after I and it?
Old 02-02-2013, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

well to be honest if you want it to last i would just sand what you have and put a flat clear on it. its black already right? the spots you can see yellow just hit with a little base coat to cover them.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

Yea thought of that too but I don't want to have to deal with the clear not being mixed exactly how I want it
Old 02-02-2013, 02:55 PM
10 Second Club

PPG makes a clear called flexed and flat. Our shop has used it for underhood areas. I think that would be your best bet rather than trying to flatten a standard clear.

Me personally it started black, went yellow, painted back to black, painted again because it didn't cover, I would be tempted to get back down to the factory black if not strip it all together. You have no idea what's actually under there.

I'm not a painter but when I paint at home I seal everything. I know you don't have to but it has made life easier having a consistent coat to work off of.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sand it down to bare **** then paint it again lol
Old 02-02-2013, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Noooooooo. I knew I should have just done it myself instead of paying someone else

Quick Reply: How many repaints before peeling?