Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

'02 WS6 Full Repaint Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having my car painted this winter. A good shop is about $5k.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Quick Ranger
I'd charge a min of 5k to paint that. The hood needs stripped, the paint is delaminating. The rest of the car looks decent. Paint isn't cheap. Plus, if you want a quality, mirror, orange peel free finish, that's a lot of labor to sand and buff. Like mentioned above, if the job is less than 4k, you are getting a job where some corners were cut.
What would you charge to paint the stupid SLP hood and spoiler on an SS? Arctic white. 90% of my clearcoat is gone.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 30thanniv
Why not have it wrapped? Might be cheaper
yep

Originally Posted by enigmah
Man if I were you Id just save money and get it wrapped or professionally dipped. ( check out the youtube channel ) some of the stuff you can do these days is pretty insane and its durable.
Agreed with this one too. I'm in the same boat.
Car runs great, but outside isn't so good.

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
I cant tell from the pics but it looks like the hood is the only things that needs a repaint. $6K does sound high for a paintjob using a standard color and not something crazy like a kandy or chameleon paint.
Can the rest of the car just be corrected with a buffer or wet sanding and you just get the hood painted?
That's what it looks like to me too.
If It was me, I'd drive the car to see if its worth it and decide from there on.
Temporary Solution would be to get just the hood painted or even vinyl wrapped. Dipped also, but I know many feel it looks cheap.

Originally Posted by 1RawTA
Don't cheap out on a paintjob!! you will regret it in the long run
+1
Yep, nothing like money & time spent only to be back at square 1.

Originally Posted by Alex L.
Sell that puppy and pocket lots of cash!
This makes a lot of sense, unless owning a ws6 was your long time goal.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Always laugh when seeing threads like this

Ive been doing paint and body work my whole life, i own a shop, ive restored hundreds of cars at this point, tons of show winners, tons went to pebble beach, etc

You cant post a few pics and get a quote, and one persons paint job wont be the same as the next guy. vehicle condition, previous damage, expectations all come into play.

When it comes to paint jobs, theres a million variables, for example you can get a gallon of clear for 90 bucks, or a gallon for 500

To the guys saying they do, or get complete paint jobs for 5 grand, Was that a full color change, or a repaint without jambs? if it was a complete my hats off to you, because if quality material is used and the job is done correctly , the shop is not making anything doing that job. Many shops dont know how to track profitability margin correctly and 5k for a repaint doesnt cut it
Old 09-20-2016, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not everyone is looking for a show winner paint job though. $1-2k for a respray Maaco style job, $5k for a decent, drivable paint job seems to be the norm, $10k+ for a garage queen.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:41 PM
Teching In

I just paid 7400 on my 02 camaro ss and went with the same color. All the paint was in ppg
Old 09-25-2016, 03:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 864 Likes on 660 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I'm in the same situation, the paint on the hood is failing but the rest of the car looks decent except for a small delaminated spot about the size of a pencil eraser. At some point, I'll probably opt to get the hood redone.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

All of the advice in this thread ended up being true. Capitulated on the entire project and sold the car for a couple grand profit and redirected project funds to the purchase and modification of a Corvette.

Thanks for the words guys.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:52 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Masochist
All of the advice in this thread ended up being true. Capitulated on the entire project and sold the car for a couple grand profit and redirected project funds to the purchase and modification of a Corvette.

Thanks for the words guys.
Good choice man. If it wasn't for my camaro being my first and high school muscle car it would be gone! The amount of work is insane with the restoration and a 6th Gen or Vette would be awesome, everything new, no problems, etc. I know it will be worth it in the end when its done, but I'm in to deep now to sell and buy something new.

You made the right choice man, enjoy your new, lighter, faster toy!

Quick Reply: '02 WS6 Full Repaint Cost?