Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Easiest Paint to Maintain

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Easiest Paint to Maintain

I'm hoping to get my car repainted in the near future and have (at least for the moment) chosen a PPG color that is used on Ferraris. My car is black and my biggest motivation for repainting is ease-of-maintenance. I don't drive my car daily but I'd still like something that doesn't scratch or chip easily.

Is PPG a good paint for those goals or should I consider a different brand? How does the cost of PPG compare to some of the other more mainstream brands out there?

Thanks,
Josh
Old 05-31-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

i would go with house of kolor clear or sikkens. Once they are fully cured its its tuff to scratch especially with black paint. Im not into ppg house of kolor and sikkens are far better products.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Pheonix
i would go with house of kolor clear or sikkens. Once they are fully cured its its tuff to scratch especially with black paint. Im not into ppg house of kolor and sikkens are far better products.
My two best friends are both body guys (lucky me!) and they have nothing but good things to say about Sikkens, but I'm not sure how competitive the price is...I'm sure more than PPG though.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

we sue ppg at our shop... its good... but its not the best... i dont mind it but alot of painters hate it.... as for the hold up... they have some really good clears and mediums and low grades... depending on how much you want to spend... you can deff geta good job with PPG... if i redid my car thats prob what i would use seeing that its at my fingertips... but iv also used sikkins and sikkins is deff a better system... but it is more pricey than ppg...
Old 06-01-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by transmaro93
we sue ppg at our shop... its good... but its not the best... i dont mind it but alot of painters hate it.... as for the hold up... they have some really good clears and mediums and low grades... depending on how much you want to spend... you can deff geta good job with PPG... if i redid my car thats prob what i would use seeing that its at my fingertips... but iv also used sikkins and sikkins is deff a better system... but it is more pricey than ppg...

I told one of my body guy friends about this thread and that is almost word for word what he told me also!
Old 06-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Teching In

I've been working on cars since i was 14, worked in a bodyshop for years and have sprayed alot of paint in my short life. My paint preference goes as this: HOK is first, i love this paint! Their green primer will never come off or crack if the surface is prepped right, i mean you can take a piece of metal and bend it completly over on itself and it will not flake or crack it will just bend with the metal. Their bases are brillent(sp?) and no one can touch their candies, but they don't make factory colors. Their clear is also the best in my opinion, most UV protection availble, could be wrong but i havent seen a clear with as much. It also lays down smooth and buffs easy. Then it gets a little tricky for me i think Sikkens is a much better system for a production bodyshop, pretty much all their bases cover in two coats, filler primer sands excellent, their sealer is great, and it is easy to match factory orange peel with their clear. But on the other hand, i have used ppg all my life with no abnormal problems and i love their paint also. Thier clear lays down smoother and has a lot of good things about it. If i painted my own car or a custom car and i wasn't using HOK i would use PPG cause like i said their clear lays down smoother than Sikkens and i just like their paint. But you have to use the high qualtity line of PPG it is a really good product, and i have never really had a problem with PPG clear scratching any easier than any other paint.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks so much for all the input, guys.

Josh
Old 06-02-2007, 01:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just spray it white or silver, You don't see swirls in those colors
In most lighting anyway.....

Quick Reply: Easiest Paint to Maintain