Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Buffing new paint...help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Buffing new paint...help!

Ok so my brother is repainting his truck (a 1998 Dodge Dakota) next week and we are gonna need to buff it. He is painting it in his Autobody class so its not like a shop is doing it. He is painting it Viper Red with ghost flames. I believe he said they are gonna put like 3-4 coats of clear if that is important?

So how exactly do i buff new paint? Does it need to cure before I do anything? How long do I have to wait? Also can I use my Porter Cable to do it? What pads and compounds? What settings work best? A step by step process would do me good, starting from wet sanding the clear.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:07 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when I had mine repainted I was told to wait a minimum of 3 weeks before I touched it.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

it depends on the clear that is used, urethanes can be done in a few days depending on how much hardner is used, not sure on others but it will say on the can the recomendations.
now with wet sanding start with 1500 and get a good block there usually a sponge like material. have a bucket and a spray bottle with soapy water and use alot, so the paper doesnt gum up. Also be very carefull near edges you dont want to burn through and that is were it normaly happens
as you are sanding use, a squeege, a sponge, air or something to dry as you go, once you cant see any more shiny(low spots) switch to higher grits. 2500 will be good, it will make the compounding easier.
i would then wash the truck to get all the loose stuff off.

I used a 3m rubbing compound and a medium cut foam pad. a pc will be a good choice. i wont get to into compounding but i have a link from when i did my truck, it wasnt a new paint job but similar idea. http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...d.php?t=412697mean z71 at bottom of first page has a great link!
then follow it up with perfect-itIII to polish with a fine foam pad.

You should wait 90 days before waxing and that should do it!

Research alot, there is alot to learn, i had to do my truck twice to get the compounding right
oh and make sure you have alot of time set aside and good luck!
Old 03-14-2008, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

do you have to wet sand a freshly painted car before you wax it? I just had mine painted as well but I wasn't planning on any sanding..
Old 03-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Launching!

what also works good is the 3M hookit 1500grit used on the DA with an interface pad. It really speeds up the buffing process. Then hit it with some 2000 and 3000 if you feel the urge. lol. I've found the day after painting something is the best time to buff. Just make sure it's baked good the day before. If not, wait an extra day.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sketterman
do you have to wet sand a freshly painted car before you wax it? I just had mine painted as well but I wasn't planning on any sanding..

The only reason he's wetsanding is to remove orange peel, trash, and tape lines(at least that's my assumption). So no, you definately don't have to do that before waxing.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

yep wet sanding for orangepeel and you will probably have tape line from the flames so it will flatten that out
i havent tried the da sander but have wanted to, there are a few body shops by my cabinet shop and they all us the da's, again just watch out for the edges, ive seen some will tape the edges and go back and hand sand them just to be safe!
Old 03-15-2008, 01:23 AM
TECH Addict

yes 3 to 4 coats over the flames is definately neccisary because your going to wanna block the clear down so the flames are smooth and you dont feel a line. if he bakes the paint for a full bake cycle then you can buff the next day but if it doesnt get baked wait a few days. normally i just use a 6" d/a and 3m hookit 2 1500 dry or 3mtrizact 1500 if you prefer wet to sand most of the peel out and then follow with 3m trizact 3000 and then 4000. i sand everything completely flat because you get the best looking finish after buffing. also for fresh paint do not use a portercable unless you want to sit there forever. rotary buffers are ideal for fresh paint. pm me ill shoot you a guide that i made that includes my buffing method and product list.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TransAmdriv3r
when I had mine repainted I was told to wait a minimum of 3 weeks before I touched it.
that would be like sanding concrete if you wait that long. next day, unless its wastnt baked.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

normally i just use a 6" d/a and 3m hookit 2 1500 dry or 3mtrizact 1500 if you prefer wet to sand most of the peel out and then follow with 3m trizact 3000 and then 4000

STAY OFF THE EDGES!!!! OR A REDO WILL SUCK ***!
Old 03-15-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Junkie

how long are you supposed to wait to wash the car after paint? can you take it through a touchless type car wash within a few days? actually the one i take mine too is a high end car wash/detail place that the washes start at $9.95 and go up into the $30 range for engine cleanings and what not..

reason i ask is i just got my car back with a new ram air hood that was painted as well as my roof...
Old 03-15-2008, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
how long are you supposed to wait to wash the car after paint? can you take it through a touchless type car wash within a few days? actually the one i take mine too is a high end car wash/detail place that the washes start at $9.95 and go up into the $30 range for engine cleanings and what not..

reason i ask is i just got my car back with a new ram air hood that was painted as well as my roof...
This topic seems to be very popular lately...

I just had my whole car repainted, and was told to wait a MINIMUM of 10 days before using any soap and 30 days (90 recommended) before waxing.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Launching!

A couple days later is fine to wash it. The detailer at work washes cars right after he buffs them, usually the day after the job is painted.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:26 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently buffed my mustang that was just painted. We used....
Dupont 1500S compound in two steps
- 1st step was with a medium waffle pad
- 2nd step was with a fine pad
Final step was with 3m Ultra Fina with a flat fine pad. Paint is incredible
Old 03-15-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sketterman

If you wet sand it you cannot "wax" it, I mean you can but you have to have buffing compound and buff it out to get the shine back then wax it....
Old 03-16-2008, 01:54 AM
TECH Addict

oh for the comment of staying off the edges that was above..... i know how to buff and buff very well at that. what looks like crap is when you sand all the peel out and then you leave some by the edge or heavy clear on the edge. then it just looks like a job that was done half ***. if your carefull use a slow speed and pay attention to what your doing there should be no problem.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

^ do not listen to that. blue tape the damn edges or you WILL go thru it. RARELY is there a **** up on an edge anyway
Old 03-17-2008, 01:44 AM
TECH Addict

Can someone post a link to this "hookit" I'm supposed to use? I was trying to find that website that has tons of automotive finishing stuff but I can't remember it for the life of me! I know it started with a letter "E" but that all I can remember.

So anyway tell me if I have this right:

1) wet sand with 1500 to get rid of orange peel
2) wet sand with 2000
3) wet sand with 2500
4) Use the Porter Cable with compounds and pads to bring the shine back

What pads and compound do I use? When does this "hookit" come into play? A numbered writeup like above would help tons!
Old 03-17-2008, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

to respond the the above post i was saying if he were to us a DA(dual action) sander to do his wet sanding he will want to tape the edges then romove the tape and go back and hand sand it!

alright porksoda if you have a dual action sander and want to use that for the wet sanding, it should have a hook and loop pad on it then you need the sanding pads with the hook and loop backing.
1-3) look good you need to decide to do it by hand or with a DA, DA is faster but can burn through real fast if your not very carefull

4)rinse the truck to remove any contaminants
5)use porter cable and a medium cut pad with a rubbing compound, i used the 3m that you can buy at any automotive store
6) rinse the truck again to remove any compound left over
7)polish with fine buff pad on Porter Cable
and that should be it, wait about a month then wax it
i dont know if you watched this yet but it goes through how to use the PC for compounding and buffinghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZVDsiEQ8-w
Old 03-17-2008, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

porter cable is definately safter then a rotary.

Quick Reply: Buffing new paint...help!