Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

how many shades of pewter metallic are there?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 02:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how many shades of pewter metallic are there?

I have a '99 pewter metalic z28 camaro, wanted the hood painted and realized there may be at least 6 different pewters?

is it:
11U/WA382E light pewter metallic

or could there be many types of this shade?
Old 07-03-2008, 02:56 AM
TECH Regular

look on your door at the rpo codes..

if its stock it'll tell you what color it is
Old 07-03-2008, 03:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

As far as I know there's only one pewter, and the code you give is the code for just one color.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:04 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

WA382 E is a goldish pewter color. The paint code for your car is on a white sticker either in your glove box or behind one of the plastic panels in the trunk area. It will be on the bottom. If the 11u wa382 is on your sticker thats your code.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Teching In

there are two stickers on your driver door jam. it is the smaller one on top of the other, one has the vin, the tire pressure and the gvwr ratings on it(larger). you need to look at the bottom of the other one(smaller).

you will see bc/cc and then your code, if your car is pewter it will be the 11u i believe. also, take your fuel door to the paint supply so you can get a more accurate match.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Launching!

Actually in paint systems like PPG and such there are actually like 7 different variances of that particular color.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

thats what it seems like. I've looked at the door, referenced that number, and still different shades came up. The guy at the shop said that it all has to do with how long the paint sat at the factory, fade over time, and other factors...
Old 07-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hadkin
thats what it seems like. I've looked at the door, referenced that number, and still different shades came up. The guy at the shop said that it all has to do with how long the paint sat at the factory, fade over time, and other factors...
thats why you take your fuel door for a more accurate match. they will mix the paint according to the code and then match it according to what your paint has or has not done over time.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Launching!

the gas door is actually a bad idea if you're painting a hood. The gas door is metal, the hood is glass, and the fenders/bumper are plastic. The different materials fade at different rates. The quarterpanels may also have been repainted, which would make matching the color to the gas door pointless. Dupont has a camera that takes a picture of the color on the car, but it's not very accurate. Whomever paints it will need to do a spray out panel for an accurate match. Also, blending the fenders and bumper is recommended if you're painting the hood. There may be 6 or 7 varients listed for the color, but I can bet none of those will be dead on. They will need to be tinted. 382E is always a bitch

Quick Reply: how many shades of pewter metallic are there?