Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Question For The Paint Pros

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question For The Paint Pros

I have done my own painting before and am pretty good at it. But I have always painted cars all together i.e. sprayed jams with doors and hood open then not close them all the way but close them enough to evenly coat all of the exterior. I am fixing to tackle my dads T/A and my Formula. I have been paying close attention to threads like the Kandy Hellfire build and the Kandy Rockstar Pink Vette. I have noticed that ya'll are taping off the edges of the jams and shooting the jams of the body and the jams of the doors by themselves, then putting the car back together and shooting the car with everything closed up.

What I am wondering is how exactly are guys going about back taping all of these jams to prevent all the overspray during the exterior spraying? Any help would be greatly appreciated and if any of you have pics of the jams already back taped that would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Chris
Old 08-05-2008, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Come on guys nobody has any info at all????
Old 08-09-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99T/A
What I am wondering is how exactly are guys going about back taping all of these jams to prevent all the overspray during the exterior spraying? Any help would be greatly appreciated and if any of you have pics of the jams already back taped that would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Chris
Very carefully. Once the paint is dry, you just tape it off like you would anything else. Me personally, I like to do the jams with everything else. When I did my car I took everything apart, painted the inside, then the outside. Like this:
Old 08-09-2008, 10:28 AM
11 Second Club

I like to use jamb rope, its round strips of foam that stick do the jamb. since its round you won't get hard tape lines
Old 08-09-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

i like the paint with everything off the car. the thing is, you just have to be sure that you spray the doors and fenders at the same angle that the quarters and stuff are at and be sure to spray the entire panel or it will get lighter around the edges where there is less paint. also like what was stated above using foam tape is fine too. you can always sand out the minor line you will get(that is if you get oen) and it wont effect anything. if you clear the jambs and everything correctly there should be more then enough clear to sand the little clear line. but personally i like painting my cars totally apart.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

I like to do it like fast377, but with some colors you cant do it that way. Like the pink vette. Those candy colors have to be done all together or you will get different shades of pink or any other candy. The jams are done seperately because you will never notice the color difference in little parts like that compared to looking at the side of the body.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ what he said.

I'll second on the foam rope tape. That stuff works wonders for door jambs.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Shooting a car apart makes a better job, but make sure you have help when putting it together again. Tape off the edges, and do not skimp on the tape. It is easy to catch an edge and scratch or even worse chip the paint. Also you need to do a pre-assembly prior to painting. It really sucks if the parts are painted and they do not fit right. If you are shooting a candy or high metallics you need to have the car together.
2 cents worth
Old 08-11-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

i use the foam rope as well, that stuff does great. that and basically just look at it and think, where can paint get onto, then cover that stuff up lol
Old 08-18-2008, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Awesome. Thanks for all the info guys. That helps alot.

Fast377, its funny that you posted that pic of the 3rd gen. I have a 88 T-top IROC that looks just like that right now. Only difference is it's not taped and primered, it is fixing to go for soda blasting.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99T/A
I have done my own painting before and am pretty good at it. But I have always painted cars all together i.e. sprayed jams with doors and hood open then not close them all the way but close them enough to evenly coat all of the exterior. I am fixing to tackle my dads T/A and my Formula. I have been paying close attention to threads like the Kandy Hellfire build and the Kandy Rockstar Pink Vette. I have noticed that ya'll are taping off the edges of the jams and shooting the jams of the body and the jams of the doors by themselves, then putting the car back together and shooting the car with everything closed up.

Chris
thats the way the painter is painting my brothers 69 in a way.

he is painting the front clip all together, then he will do the door jams, all the way to the rear, this with all the doors, hood, and trunk off.

the reason you do it like that with a 69 is because of the lines, that car has serious lines and you will tell if you paint it improperly.

its all in the painters technique. some paint different than others.