Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best tuning software for startes

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best tuning software for startes

What would be the best one to get to start out in the tuning game.

What am i looking to spend???
Old 10-12-2008, 11:34 AM
12 Second Club

+1 on wanting to know
Old 10-12-2008, 11:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your going to get a bunch of differant anwsers and suggestions. I researched and desided on HPTuners. there lastest version had all the features I was looking for.

I bought the PRO version, after shipping I had 669$ invested. I just bought an innovative LM-1 wideband to go with it so theres another 250$. being able to do your own tuning isn't cheap but it sure is conveinant when you swap and change combos all the time like i do. theres also something about not having to take the car to somebody else everytime i want to add a mod, it feels good to do it myself
Old 10-12-2008, 12:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 69_YENKO
your going to get a bunch of differant anwsers and suggestions. I researched and desided on HPTuners. there lastest version had all the features I was looking for.

I bought the PRO version, after shipping I had 669$ invested. I just bought an innovative LM-1 wideband to go with it so theres another 250$. being able to do your own tuning isn't cheap but it sure is conveinant when you swap and change combos all the time like i do. theres also something about not having to take the car to somebody else everytime i want to add a mod, it feels good to do it myself
Is it pretty noob friendly?
Old 10-12-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I did the exact same thing, and chose EFILive with the V2 interface and black box logging. The user interface of the software was easier to navigate and the built in descriptions of the parameters and tables was nice. Both products do essentially the same thing. I would recommend downloading both applications and running them in free/demo mode to see which is easier for you. When you are a new tuner, you will spend a lot of time using the application, saving, restoring and comparing tunes... and one that is clumsy or frustrating for you, or does not have a good help/glossary of functions can make tuning more difficult. Dont let the tune repositories of the two options sway you. (they are both lame in my opinion) Aside for maybe a reference, you will never download and just use someone elses tune. Every car is different so it is almost a moot point.

The EFILIve v1 would be a great choice @ $549. The v2 interface is $749. The software, tunes and custom operating systems are all free. They both come with licenses for 2 VINs as well.

Get familiar a little bith with both here:

HPTuners: http://www.hptuners.com/help/index.html
EFILive: http://www.efilive.com/download.aspx#downloads6

Last edited by Goldfinger911; 10-12-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i started with the diablo programmer it was a good start.......

now im using the hptuners.

hptuners is much more complicated.......
Old 10-12-2008, 03:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Our software is setup to be very easy to navigate through. Add in our user help file www.hptuners.com/help along with our demo's section http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5058 You should be able to navigate through with ease.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EFI Live here. It's easy to use but you just need to know what to set everything. Same with HP
Old 10-12-2008, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mate download EFI LIVE and have a play with it.
http://download2.efilive.com/Softwar...eV7.5.4.66.exe

Here you can get stock tunes to look at.
http://www.holdencrazy.com/EFILive/stockTunes.php
Old 10-12-2008, 06:26 PM
10 Second Club

Im a tuning Noob bought EFIlive V2 and running a LC1 wideband with a Serial(digital) cable with it....pretty over my head when I first started being my first car Ive ever tuned is my HCI Z06...but starting back in april with lots of reading I feel I have a pretty good handle on things...going to the dyno to do a little spark tuning and to clean up the WOT fueling
just be prepared to do lots of reading and ask lots of questions i still ask what seems like dumb questions but if you dont ask youll never know....very happy with my purchase though...did 4 logs and 4 different tunes on my car this weekend got it pretty nailed in Open loop speed density
Old 10-13-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

The "best" is relative to your needs and goals. Being new to tuning, you may not be fully aware of your needs and goals therefore extensive research of your options is a must. Searching and participating in this forum as well as the vendor forums will help a lot. Likewise getting some seat time with the various products, i.e. downloading the demo's, trying a friend's or shop's copy, etc.. will also help you.