Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

INNOVATE WIDEBAND USERS

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 08:19 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default INNOVATE WIDEBAND USERS

I have my system hooked up and been messing with it.my question is were is the best time to log since if your just wot and going threw the gears it's to hard to figure were your lean and rich. I was thinking if your on the highway just put it in third lock up my converter and floor it like the dyno.since there is no rpm cable and my afr is not steady when going threw the gears i thought the third gear and floor it would work what to you guys think.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:12 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: INNOVATE WIDEBAND USERS

I've done this and it's pretty easy to tell every time you are at WOT, because the line drops from 14.7 right down to 12.5 (in my case) and flat lines there. It stays pretty constant with rpm. Then as soon as you let off the gass, you will see the line jump right back up to 14.6 or 14.7. Just hit the button and go through the gears.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:43 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

My afr seems to be rich when i get on it and when it gets to were im shifting it gets lean. That is about 6800 rpms so trying to tune with a nonconstant afr threw the powerband makes it a PITA. Im starting to feel like i should just have it tuned. Runing a setup like mine and guys run faster with way less than i have. But there cars are tuned. Not much season left to be messing with if i want to see what my car can really do.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

So from your post the innovative unit does not log rpm or anything else but afr? That will make it really hard to tune, well probably not that bad for normally aspirated. But for forced induction it would be pretty useless. I am not bashing, I just thought it was a more full featured wideband unit.

Gary
Old 09-25-2003, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Actually, Gary, tuning with the wideband is very straight forward with FI. While it would be helpful to have a second channel indicating RPM, I do not find it a problem.

As stated above, you can see on the log (graph) when the PCM went into open loop. And knowing how the Open Loop Hot Enable table is configured, you know what RPM this occurs at. After that, I make a run to 5k rpm, then 5.5k rpm, then 6k rpm, etc. Each time, looking to the graph to determine if the PE or other tables need to be modified to maintain the desired AFR up to that point. Then, make another run.

In short, I am using my tach to note what rpm the given log is ralated to.

That said, using the Innovate for this application is very simple and easy. Last weekend, after doing this, the log was a flat line (going slightly richer as the rpm's increased) - the car had 10# of boost. That, compared to dyno time, is big money saver.

Clay.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I like my fjo wideband (to expensive) but I definetly use the rpm recording. I don't have a dyno within 4 hours off me, so I have to tune going up a mountain pass. I don't use a flat line (constant) PE curve (turbo car) so without the rpm data its not to useful. Also with the rpm data you can correlate knock with exact gear, load conditions, etc.

Gary
Old 09-25-2003, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I like my fjo wideband (to expensive) but I definetly use the rpm recording. I don't have a dyno within 4 hours off me, so I have to tune going up a mountain pass. I don't use a flat line (constant) PE curve (turbo car) so without the rpm data its not to useful. Also with the rpm data you can correlate knock with exact gear, load conditions, etc.

Gary
Old 09-25-2003, 03:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Would a wideband o2 logger that also records data from the ODBII Data link work? This would give RPM, TPS, MAP, MAF, etc. Just a thought.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the LM-1 does support logging RPM... but the cable's not out yet There was discussion in the GP thread about making your own though... just gotta convert frequency to voltage (5 v scale) then u get the raw voltage numbers... then scale it across the RPM range (easy to do in excel)
Old 09-25-2003, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They say the RPM cable is coming out in a few weeks. Ive already given them my credit card info and told them to just send me one from the first batch. While you can work out the rpm with a bit of work, I'd love just to log it with the AF data. In the first few weeks, Im just going to mount it nicely and get used to driving all around with the thing...see the AF it does in all conditions.

chris