PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can tuners give there opinion on this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 08:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can tuners give there opinion on this?

Another thing we could go into is coatings, and how much I dislike them on headers Ceramic coated headers always seem to cause detonation. Why? Well everybody jumps on this bandwagon of wanting to keep underhood temps down. Which is great, I love it, whatever you can do to keep underhood temps down is going to help make the motor produce more power. But what we're doing by ceramic coating the headers is we are locking that heat inside the exhaust... Not allowing it to dissipate... This heat now acts as an agent in producing detonation. Almost every car I've ever tuned that had ceramic coated headers, was not able to take as much ignition timing as a car with uncoated stainless steel headers. So the power was greatly reduced because instead of tuning for all out power, I had to tune for detonation. Extra fuel, and less timing... Things that have a great effect on what kinds numbers your car will put down on the dyno, and at the track.

This is a quote from another section I copied........
I am in the market for headers and never heard of this.........

Last edited by HOLESHOT01; 02-01-2010 at 08:15 AM. Reason: this is a quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:46 AM
TECH Regular

I have worked at/ family owns a coating business and I am involved in several forms of motorsports ( drag, circle track, road racing, and their motorcycle variations ) and I have never heard this mentioned once. I have lots of customers though who swear through their own personal testing on dynos and tracks that they are faster with coated headers, the same claims the manufacturers make. Sounds like someone is making excuses for their lack of ability. There are multiple independant tests as well that by keeping the heat in the pipe, you accelerate exhaust flow and move gases away from the motor, not to mention the cooler air charge under the hood from not having the headers radiate heat. One thing I have told a lot of people is dont expect to slap in on the dyno and see huge gains, go run 200 laps coated vs uncoated and see what kind of underhood temps you get as well.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

ceramic header coatings do keep the temperature inside the headers which aside from lowering the underhood temps also increase the exhaust velocity, these are good things while also giving your headers longer life. Of course with the airflow improvement you would need to adjust the tune but as long as the tune is done correctly that process should not cause one to lose power or cause knock. The more airflow through the engine under the same load conditions the more efficient the motor is running.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Right along with the above statement! Also the greater airflows and more efficiency usually also means less timing. Don't think of timing as how much you can run or the more you can run the more power your gonna make. Most LS6 car's only like 24-25* timing stock but a stock 00 LS1 fbody run's 28* stock... which one makes more power? It's all about efficiency and tuning in what the car likes. Coated headers in my eye's would only benefit like stated by creating hotter exhaust gasses inside the primary's which accelerates the exhaust flow which also increases intake airflow and cooler charge temperatures due to less heat in the engine bay. So with that chain reaction of events I only see good things!
Old 02-02-2010, 08:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Heat in the header would have to slide backward to
cause detonation.

More likely is that the scavenging produces a cleaner,
possibly greater cylinder charge which burns faster
against your unchanged timing, making ping unless
you move the spark to where it now belongs.