Sponsored by:

Newb question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb question

Hello All!

I couldn't find the answer to this so I figured I'd ask.

I am in the planning stage of putting a 5.3 liter LS based motor in my 68 Camaro. Basic plans include a mild cam, 6 liter heads, and a Tremec 5 speed to go with the Vortech centrifugal supercharger.

The question is:

When looking for a pcm for the engine, does it need to be a pcm for a manual transmission car, or will the pcm from an automatic work? Obviously it will need to be tuned for the cam, exhaust, blower, etc., but if I get a 5.3 from a Suburban with an automatic, will the pcm work with my manual transmission?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Scatter'd
Old 04-21-2010, 04:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can make either work with some enginuity. And you will need a tuner who knows how to work with the limited inputs.

This is similar to when we put racing transmissions in cars with whichever harness. Some wires will need to be worked out to allow the car to start (i.e. clutch switch or neutral safety switch). Does the tremec have an electronic speed sensor output?
Old 04-22-2010, 08:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pcm?

I don't know. The trans isn't readily available to me. I can head over to storage and look, but I was more worried about whatever transmission functions the computer controlled.

As far as tuners, I have several quality tuners here in the Chicago area to choose from.

Last edited by scatterbrained; 04-22-2010 at 08:08 AM. Reason: added info...
Old 04-22-2010, 08:51 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scatterbrained
I don't know. The trans isn't readily available to me. I can head over to storage and look, but I was more worried about whatever transmission functions the computer controlled.

As far as tuners, I have several quality tuners here in the Chicago area to choose from.
You should be fine then - there are ways around pretty much everything - just a matter of getting the harness right and the tune right...