PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I run 2 computers in a 2010 camaro one stock & one with a tune ????

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I run 2 computers in a 2010 camaro one stock & one with a tune ????

Hello,

I hope I chose the correct category to place my post.

Without all the technical terms and abbreviations that I don''t know, is it possible to copy a 2010 camaro L99 V8 A6 computer and run either computer at any given time.

Another words have two computers and swap them back and forth? One with the stock tune, and one with another tune, to play with, or other tweaks??

If so will the car or the computer tell on you ? Will it throw codes? Will it say hey I've gone 1000 miles since the the last time I was plugged in something must be wrong ??

If possible what's the process? And how much does a new 2010 camaro computer go for right now?

What is the computer part number or spec number ? (is there more than one part to it?)

What software do I need to do it ??

Any links to the parts or software??
Old 05-02-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

Just get Hp Tuners, save you stock file, and tune and tweak as you wish. When you want to go back to your stock file just open the stock file and load it up.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by mcamarols1
Just get Hp Tuners, save you stock file, and tune and tweak as you wish. When you want to go back to your stock file just open the stock file and load it up.
What about the flash counter ?

What I'm looking for is to duplicated my stock computer and put the duplicate in the car and if there is a problem I want to be able to put the original computer back.

So once the second computer is programed I want them to be interchangeable.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

Flash counter? I dont know what that is. Are you trying to not void your warranty or something?
Old 05-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Launching!

if you get a new ECM there are things like Programming the ECM with the software, the theft deterent learn, throttle/idle learn, and the crankshaft position variation learn that will have to be done to a new ECM. after those items are learned you will be able to swap ECMs plug and play with no issues. Just make sure you disconnect the batt before changing ECMs to prevent setting codes in the history.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They haven't come out with a Dual Flash PCM for you guys yet?
Old 01-06-2011, 07:58 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The engine computer is easy if you have someone like Jesse Bubb burn the file into it. The tranny you have no option except buying a different tranny because the computers are in them.

My dealer is OK with tuned cars.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:26 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Bumblebee
What about the flash counter ?

What I'm looking for is to duplicated my stock computer and put the duplicate in the car and if there is a problem I want to be able to put the original computer back.

So once the second computer is programed I want them to be interchangeable.
the days of swapping ECM's is gone.. the dealer will still know if they go digging... because there is additional info stored in the ECM in these new vehicles, one such piece of info being the mileage of the car...

so, when you swap ecm's... the mileage won't match what's stored in other modules/odometer....

there is even a big write-up from a GM tech release telling techs what to look for, as there is a bunch of other info stored in the ecm besides just the tune...

you're best bet is to keep the stock ecm...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 01-06-2011, 09:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
The engine computer is easy if you have someone like Jesse Bubb burn the file into it. The tranny you have no option except buying a different tranny because the computers are in them.

My dealer is OK with tuned cars.
Your dealer might be but GM isn't. Many warranty claims need GM authorization before they will agree to pay the dealer for the work they perform. I doubt your dealer likes to work for no payment. I have first hand experience with a GM dealer here that was OK with tuned vehicles on an engine replacement on a 07 Silverado under warranty. I was asked to return the PCM back to stock by the customer so the necessary pictures could be taken of the Tech 2 screen and sent to GM for authorization. GM still sent 3 engineers to the dealership to inspect the truck and the PCM for modifications and to watch the tech tear the engine down before they would authorize repairs. If this vehicle's pcm would have had a flash counter there would have been no new enging under warranty even though the dealer was willing to do it. What they found was the cam broke in two pieces.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your worried about things like the Flash Count then you don't modify your car. If you want to swap between tunes. Get an AutoCal
Old 01-07-2011, 06:04 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by macca_779
If your worried about things like the Flash Count then you don't modify your car.
^This.

If you are this paranoid about something going wrong and so completely dependant on the engine warranty then you probably should not be modding. An intake, exhaust and tune arent going to blow your engine. If you are going to put in heads, cam or boost then you shouldnt expect GM to pay for repairs anyway.

Quick Reply: How can I run 2 computers in a 2010 camaro one stock & one with a tune ????