Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another VATS question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another VATS question.

Does VATS actually control fuel too or just the starter. My starter turns over but I'm not getting fuel I hear the pump prime and the car runs for a couple seconds sometimes sound real healthy, then other times sounds like its a 32 ford rat rod... I know im getting spark, just need to know if it can control fuel.

After the car starts how long does the security light stay on 5 seconds? I forget. Just got the car, and don't really know any history on it. I'm not complaining pick it up for $1800 '00 SS T56. Let me know please.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about an 00 SS but VATS controls both the starter and fuel on my 98 K3500. I swapped in a 98 Vortec 454 into my 89 silvy. I ended up using the stock 89 starting wiring/circuit and my truck did the same thing as your car. It would fire up and run for a second or two then die.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Staging Lane

could you rev it? when I rev it or if I try and push the gas pedal it seems to die quicker.... I don't know what to do its my only key....

also the car did have an aftermarket alarm that someone ripped out... so maybe this could cause it any info would be tons of help.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, VATS controls the fuel injectors as well as the starter. From what I understand, once the TDM (theft deterent module) in the BCM receives the signal from the ignition lock cylinder (after you put the key in the cylinder), the TDM sends a signal to the PCM to enable the fuel injectors and then you get power to the starter which obviously allows the car to start.

Is the security light on? I believe it should go out after you key the car up but I"m not positive. Mine has been on for a month now but it starts perfectly fine although I"m in the process of trying to fix it.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

Well, my car starts then dies, I hot wired the fuel pump, it still dies. So could it still be the fuel injectors? The security light comes on when I turn it to on and I don't think is has enough time to turn off before it dies. Please help I am stumped on this!
Old 07-11-2010, 11:59 PM
11 Second Club

im having the same exact problem, mine fires right up, then shuts off after 2 seconds or so. its obviously the VATS, but ive had it tuned out of the pcm and done the resistor mod and still nothing. from what i understand there is a way to completely bypass it but i cant seem to find out exactly how. searching hasnt really done much for me due to the fact that nobody really posts results of how they fixed it, only the issues.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:03 AM
Staging Lane

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-VA...item4aa28a5c12

I just bought this hopefully it works if not I'm only out 20 bucks..

also there website...

http://www.xdponline.com/index.php?m...b6001c4f2e14fc

Last edited by saltwaterreefguy; 07-12-2010 at 12:11 AM.